• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Interview advice (merged)

Hello,
I have an interview for the EME engineering officer position next week. Do you folks have any tips on what to expect ?
Did anyone do an engineering officer interview lately?

I just did an interview for Naval Warfare Officer. It's a good idea to be able to explain why your education, work experience, and personal experiences relate to the job and why you think you'd be a good candidate and leader. I thought it was a good idea to prepare a resume and cover letter, and so did the interviewer when I presented it, it seemed. It was very laid back and relaxed, so don't sweat it. Good luck!

Never_giving_up,

I just had my interview. I don’t have the best (not even good) interview skills. I just remained honest. My education and CFAT sort of vouched for me. It showed that I lacked experience and leadership because I am a new graduate. Nonetheless, I passed. I believe I wouldn’t have passed if it were for a Civilian job. I was not that articulate and stuttered a bit. I did not effectively « sell » myself, per se. The questions were straightforward. Don’t worry too much. Just be yourself. They could see through you. I think the trick is to not try so hard. Be humble and show that you are hardworking and willing to learn. If you have enough experience, make sure to have examples. Anyway, I am not allowed to give more details.

You’ll do great!

I visited the local detachment twice and both times the recruiters were different. I asked them if a B.tech undergraduate degree counts for officer occupation. The first one said NO and the other one said Yes. I'm really confused here, I want to pursue a degree but not waste time. If it matters I'm getting a degree from BCIT. Any advice would be helpful.
Also, one recruiter from reserves unit said i can use friend as a reference and a recruiter from another reserves unit said I can't.

Who do I listen to?

For many officer occupations, the minimum Entry Standard is any Bachelors degree, including a Bachelors in Technology. Certain occupations, however, require specific degrees.

As for references, you cannot use friends, family, family friends, or coworkers. There are instructions on the front of the Personal  Verification Form that stipulate this.

winds_13 said:
For many officer occupations, the minimum Entry Standard is any Bachelors degree, including a Bachelors in Technology. Certain occupations, however, require specific degrees.

As for references, you cannot use friends, family, family friends, or coworkers. There are instructions on the front of the Personal  Verification Form that stipulate this.

That's what I was confused about. I emailed two reserves recruiter and they said that I can use friends. Even on the form they gave me friends was an option

EncryptoID, again, the front page of the Personal Verification Form clearly states that relatives, friends, family friends, and coworkers are not valid references as they are not able to provide an unbiased evaluation of your character.

I recommend reading the form that you are filling out, it has the answer to your question written on it.

Back