• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Interview advice (merged)

I picked up a pamphlet in school, Arty was the only one they had. I thought arty was all they had at Moss Park, so I went on the day that they‘re there. Talked to the Peeps, and got application. So thinking Infantry would be at another armoury, i decided to go for arty. I didnt know much. When it came to deciding what I wanted after CFAT, they told me I could join infantry at moss park. But since i‘d already gone through everything for arty, i decided to stick to it. But I intend to transfer to infantry hopefully in 1 or 2 years. Maybe a bit of cross training?
lol.. stick with Arty. You‘ve spoken with
WO Anderson then? So you start basic in Sept I
take it (provided everything goes well of course).
You may end up with CSM McIntyre (48th - also
infantry out of Moss Park) running PT on your
basic. Watch out! He‘ll run you into the
ground :) But he‘s a really good guy. You‘ll
be a lot better for it. So I guess I‘ll be
seeing you around the armoury then. We‘re in the
same regiment. I‘ll be one of the 2Lts walking
around :D

lol yeah i‘ve spoken with him, he propably forgot me though, haven‘t seen him or moss park for a while now. I‘ve been at the recruiting centre mostly, I might as well live there. Man i‘ll do more than my best, i just came back from runnin and my legs are killing, i‘m not much of a aerobic person. Been doing strength training for a year, so it‘s mostly physical endurance and strength for me. that‘s really cool, lol hope I see you. cuz that‘ll mean i‘m in. Must make a good impression on interview. :evil: yeah i‘ve been thinking if i stay for like 2 years, i‘ll propably like it too much ot leave for infantry. I think i want to bring a camera so i can capture some memories.

Out of the the hundreds or so people I met in the army, only one guy failed the interview. he told them he was an alcoholic, because he thought the army loved drinking.

Well, the army does love alcohol, but don‘t say you drink too much:)

The Military is so desperate for people that you have to say the stupidest thing to not get in. I have friends in basic that have police records and got in no problem, so if your clean cut like me, don‘t worry, relax.

wow, well my friend wanted to join the army real bad, and he‘s a nice guy. Just did a stupid thing and got arrested with about 5 charges. I told him i doubt he has a chance to get in. but i guess i‘ll tell him he should try.

Hehe thanks for the confidence boost, that makes me feel better.

Lmao i thought the army loved drinking. that‘s good.

hey, thank you to every one who responded to my last post. your suggestions allowed me to prepare for and pass the dreaded aptitude test. now onto the interview. i understand that it is important to be knowledgable about the trade you are applying for , but do you need to know much about the unit you are applying for as well? i am applying to the 11th field artillery regiment in guelph ont.- anyone a member? i have tried to call but only get an answering machine which lists numbers for the diffrent offices and messes in the building. who do i need to speak to for info and how much do i need to know about the unit? any help and/or info would be appreciate. thnks. :warstory:

I don‘t feel that knowing anything about the unit or Regiment will affect your interview. They will ask more questions about your character and your past work history.

Is past work experience a big deal? Like what if you never had a job before the army?

Can you just talk about chores you did when you were like 6?

Don‘t sweat over it, its just general questions to see if you‘re stable minded. They ask you about work school, that stuff. They want to know if you have ever done drugs (they did for me anyway) but i‘d say just answer everything honestly and to the best of your ability.

You want to show the interview guys that you‘re an "on the ball" type of guy.

They‘ll want to know when you‘ve held positions of responsibility, showed teamwork, was active in other organizations, ect. Bring any certificates you might have, even if its something gay like a "licenced babysitter" certificate or something. Dress well, get a haircut, trim your nails, look presentable. This all shows that you prepared for the interview and that you actually cared enough to put some effort into your application process.

When I went for my interview I brought my old ‘88 US Ranger Soldier Handbook that I bought at a surplus store years before. That impressed the guy because I was applying to join the infantry, and it showed that I had some sort of an idea what infanteers do. That said, you probably won‘t be quizzed on arty history. But if you have a book you‘ve read about the arty, bring it along so the interviewer knows you‘re interested.

Watch the news, and know where Cdn soldiers are currently deployed and have been previously been deployed on combat and peacekeeping missions. Who‘s in Afghanistan right now? Whats going on in Bosnia? You might be asked if you understand that the serving in the combat arms is dangerous. If you can say something like "Yes I do, I heard about the RCR guys who‘s jeep hit a land mine in Afghanistan" you‘re on the right track. They won‘t expect you to be a military encylopedia, but know whats going on in the world.

Other then that, just use common sense!!!

I wouldn‘t worry about it too much. I was in the reserves years ago, when we got to the "interview" it was just general questions about what I knew what I was getting into. Besides, why go through all that trouble for a part time job? Go Reg if you really want to experience what the job entails. You‘ll only see half the picture in the reserves. I was also on "B" class callouts during most of my time in the militia, working with the Reg force guys. When I went back to my Regiment between callouts, I found that most of the troops were talking out their arses about the stuff they were supposedly "experts" on.

I can hear it now...the reserves ae going to be all over this one, aren‘t they? :crybaby:

It‘s a job interview. Remember that. You‘ve done the research into the CF and your MOC, so you know what they are looking for in an employee. The advantage your interviewer has is that they know how bad you want to work for them. ;)

Wear a suit. Get a haircut. Mind your manners.

And don‘t forget to breathe. They just want to make sure you‘re on top of your professional being, and that you‘ve got your head screwed on straight.

Let us know how it goes!

during my interview, I was asked questions about my schooling, past work history, and most importantly, you need to know and understand what position in the military you are applying for ie. mine was Armoured Soldier. You‘ll also be asked what you think you‘ll undergo in Basic Training. Really, its more of a conversation, rather than an interview. Mine was very laid back and casual, and they like it if you show up early!

I just thought of a question of my own and I figured I would save a tiyn bit of space for the site :D When you said wear a suit, would wearing a cadet uniform (if you‘re in cadets... duh) help impress them or would I get the all too common "cadets think they‘re better than me" opinion from the interviewer?

I can‘t say for sure, but I would suggest wearing a suit. I say this becuase it is a job interview like any other and a suit is very formal, pristine and clean. By clean I mean well kempt and, in a way, portrays someone who would be eligible for a career in the military.

Originally posted by Maxpower:
[qb] Don‘t sweat over it, its just general questions to see if you‘re stable minded.[/qb]
I have a question about that. Around the time when I was 14 just turning 15 I suffered from mild anxiety (sp). My parents had gotten a divorce, my mom started seeing another guy, I switched schools, we moved. Alot of stuff added up. I didn‘t to do anything (go to school, go to football practice etc.) I went to the doctor he put me on medication, I took it for a month or so and then I was fine. This had never happened before, and it hasn‘t happened since (I‘ll be 17 in three months.)

I plan on enlisting when I‘m eighteen which will make it around three years since. I‘m wondering if this is going to hurt my chances of getting in? Will they see that and think I may not have a "level head" even though it was just once for a very short period? I‘m probably better off just calling up the recruiter and asking, but I thought I‘d ask you guys (and girls) first.

P.S. I plan on applying with infantry as my first choice and armoured as my number 2. I don‘t know if that would have any effect or not.

Ya that is worth mentioning " Really, its more of a conversation, rather than an interview. Mine was very laid back and casual, and they like it if you show up early".

Both my interviews were the most casual and laid back I‘ve ever had. I still treated the interview as professionally as I would any other, but I was very relieved on the inside.

My interview is tomorrow, is there anythign I should bring besides myself and a suit?

Also what happens after the interview, whats next?

Bring a suitcase full of unmarked, small bills.
Plane tickets to an exotic, warm and sunny location for the recruiting officer would be a nice touch - also be prepared to set the recruiter up with a date if he or she is single and doesn‘t have anybody to take with them (i.e. bring photo‘s of your sister/cousin/other good-looking relatives).
Oh - don‘t forget - Snacks and coffee for everybody in the recruiting centre, but don‘t just bring doughnuts or Timbits - include something healthy like veggies and fresh fruit too.
After the interview ... well, you‘ll just have to wait and see whether they decide to admit you to their secret labrynth of underground tunnels ...
;)
Relax - it‘s only an interview - it‘s not as if it‘s a final exam for neurosurgery ...

What I found was that they really put some thought on education then again that would vary from person to person in my case im only 16 grade 11 so they put some pressure on that education. Anoter thought if you are planning on going to RMC dont bother to mention it if your marks are like below 80 i had 75 average and the captin doin my interview gave me a long lecture on doing better. But all in all it was worth it. Anyhow good luck with your interview and the rest of your testing. (remeber to get all you medical forms in quick)

I never had a job before, didnt have killer results at school either.... but I still got in infantry :)

Back