• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

iOS 5

A

aesop081

Ok, i just figured out how to quick access the camera from the lock screen on iPhone 4......just double press on the home button, but :

Why is it not like advertised on the Apple website, next to the swipe bar  ?

When you're unlocked, does a double-click of the home button still bring up the running apps in the lower screen?  Holding down on an app icon for a couple of seconds then activates the "task-manager end task" function of the hidden/running apps you don't want to have running (which apparently takes power to just run idle in the background).

Somehow, I took a screen shot.  I don't know how I did it.

Good2Golf said:
When you're unlocked, does a double-click of the home button still bring up the running apps in the lower screen?  Holding down on an app icon for a couple of seconds then activates the "task-manager end task" function of the hidden/running apps you don't want to have running (which apparently takes power to just run idle in the background).

It does but i'm just wondering why its not like this :

20110621_ios_5_lock_screen_camera_button.jpg

Maybe it's device dependant. Mine's in that spot.

We're all double clicking the home button on the lock screen, correct?

I have an iPhone 4 and it's right where it should be.  Perhaps you have some kind of camera app that conflicts somehow?

Mine opened up the Music player, and started playing a song by the Dubliners... :dunno:

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
Mine opened up the Music player, and started playing a song by the Dubliners... :dunno:

dileas

tess

Are you running iOS 5?  Double clicking the home button on the lock screen should bring up the iPod controls and the camera button along with the unlock slider.

Anyone's Grunt said:
Are you running iOS 5?  Double clicking the home button on the lock screen should bring up the iPod controls and the camera button along with the unlock slider.

Yeah, ok got it now.........Apple's screenshots and description is a bit misleading IMHO.

Now that that's sorted... What does everyone think of it?

Personally, there are alot of neat new features that I find useful in iOS 5.  It almost makes my phone seem brand new again.

For one, iMessage, the free between iPhone texting, makes Blackberry's BBM a non-point for owning that phone.  Another nail in the coffin for RIM, as BBM was one of the reasons people buy and continue to use a smart phone that really isn't very smart.

Two, the Reminders.  This is a feature that has been long overdue.  In the past I've had to rely on making a grocery list or to do list in Notes, which wasn't so bad, but now I can create a to do list with reminders to actually do the things I mean to do.  Also, the ability to assign a location to a reminder is a cool feature.  Now your phone can tell you to "Put on your hat!" as you pull into the parking lot at work instead of having someone else do it for you, or "Pick up milk" when you drive by the grocery store.

Three, Notification Center.  The ability to glance at unread emails and texts and see the weather with a single swipe of the screen is a feature that some Android phones have had for a while and was long overdue on the iPhone.

Four, new Calendar features.  Yesterday I scheduled a doctors appointment for my son, placed it in my Calendar, and invited my wife (also on iPhone) to attend.  The invite pops up on her phone in Borden, she accepts and bam it's in her calendar.  Couldn't do that before, had to use Bump or text it to her.

iCloud, still playing with it... not too sure about it.  Do I need that?  Am I going to use that?  Time will tell.

the 48th regulator said:

dileas

tess

That would be really weird if you didn't have the Dubliners loaded on the iPhone ;D

the 48th regulator said:

dileas

tess

Mine pulls the iPod player up too.

It's supposed to ... If you don't have the camera button as well, you don't have your phone updated to iOS 5.  Plug it into your computer, pull up iTunes, update iTunes, then update your phones software.  It's worth it.

Works as described - didn't know I had to double tap the home button to get it to show.

I'm gonna wait a few weeks before doing my update, just to make sure there aren't hidden or unforseen glitches that show up. I've read on a couple of tech news sites that there have been some issues with registration and updates that were not anticipated.

But this thread would be a great resource for tips, tricks and experiences for everyone. Let's keep it updated if possible.

cupper said:
...I've read on a couple of tech news sites that there have been some issues with registration and updates that were not anticipated...

Links please.  This has me somewhat concerned.

Back