• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

IR Postings [Merged]

The IRP Directive 11.2.02 states:

Unaccompanied moves

When accommodations have not been secured or they are not available prior to COS or RFD, CF members, who intend to relocate their dependants and/or HG&E to the new location, may proceed unaccompanied to the new place of duty on a restricted basis for a maximum period of six months. This does not apply to Reserve Force members serving on Class “B” reserve service. Reserve Force members on Class “B” reserve service shall relocate immediately as per Statement of Understanding (SOU).

CF members shall request an Imposed Restriction (IR) through the approving authority, as soon as it is known that the unaccompanied period will exceed six months. IR is administered by the support base. This does not apply to Reserve Force members serving on Class “B” reserve service. Reserve Force members on Class “B” reserve service shall relocate immediately as per Statement of Understanding (SOU).

COS will be the responsibility of the Gaining Unit.  I have had a COS date strictly adhered to, when I asked for a change of dates, due to the Gaining Units requirements.

Mediman14 said:
Is IR request ever denied? What happens if it was denied?
As stated in the policy, providing the intent is to move their family once they get an RHU the first six months are automatic.

Although the member has to apply after that, it won't be refused for a valid reason and not having secured accommodations for the family is one.  The member should apply to the CM via their CoC about three months out thru a questionnaire that the CM will provide if it already isn't at hand in the new unit. 

Of note, once the IR past six months is approved, if the member secures accommodation the CM must be asked to lift the IR in order for the move of HG&E to be authorized.

Thanks for the responses!

I don't feel comfortable asking my CoC, as they often break the rules to meet their own needs on a regular basis and the attitude "it's my way or no way" doesn't help any.

dapaterson said:
As I recall: Between commanding officers, a month; more than that and DGMC gets involved.

Unless it's changed since 2013, you can request to change your RFD (Report For Duty) date 30 days either side of your COS date, agreement between losing/gaining COs.  It was basically "if losing CO agrees to Change in RFD, losing unit will contact gaining" or words to that effect  (when a mbr requests).

To change your actual COS date, that is the career manager shop and that requires a new posting message;  subsequently, if you do this (change your COS and get a new posting message) and you are mid-point thru your move admin with BGRS, they will have to close the current file and start over again from scratch (at least, that was the way in '13).  I went thru this on my last posting and in the end, and sucked up some extra driving for a few weeks as my house wasn't going to be built and ready for move in at the COS date +30 point.

Don't have the reference handy, sorry - but it may be on the message.

Unless it's changed, or my memory is farther gone than I think it is,  it will be in the Military Human Resources Records Procedures (MHRRP) manual;  I don't recall the exact chap/article but might still have an electronic copy at work of my Change in RFD request.

George Wallace said:
COS will be the responsibility of the Gaining Unit.  I have had a COS date strictly adhered to, when I asked for a change of dates, due to the Gaining Units requirements.
No.  COS is set by CM.  RFD (Report For Duty) is agreed between gaining and losing COs and may be 30 days +/- of COS.

MCG said:
No.  COS is set by CM.  RFD (Report For Duty) is agreed between gaining and losing COs and may be 30 days +/- of COS.

Sorry.

Got my COS and RFD mixed up; the Gaining Unit would not change my RFD.

(It was back in '89)

One of the clarification bulletins where you get the link to the CFIRP policy reminds COs that to the max extent possible they are to allow a change in RFD (up to 30 days). That said I have had it denied for operational reasons, this alleviated the need for a door to door move even though I had set one up.

I asked one of the RSM's at the mess today about what is the max a Mbr can ask for a Change of COS Date. Apparently, there is no min or max time frame a Mbr could ask for. Nor is there any direction/ order/ policy indicating it. I didn't challenge him on this, but is this accurate? So a Mbr can ask for a 6 month change of COS date providing there is good reason? What is the Realistic request for Change of COS Date? Is it 30 days? 60 days?
Honestly within my 18 years plus, I never had any dealings or any subordinates who ever requested a Change of COS Date so I am unfamiliar with the subject!

You can ask for whatever you want, there's no guarantee it's going to be approved, though. 30 days left or right is usually just RSM to RSM email, anything else needs to go to the Career Shop and they'll be asking questions.

COS does not change when CO’s (not RSMs) agree to change the RFD date.  Only if the RFD date needs to change by more than 30 days does the COS need to be changed.  It is a request that goes from requesting CO to other CO and approved by D Mil C.

Report Date Change  Policy:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits-relocation/2009-clarification-chg-report-date.page

Commanding Officer's responsibilities
Commanding Officers have a responsibility to be as flexible as possible in the adjustment of reporting dates to enable CF members to coordinate their move effectively. Adjusting the reporting date represents one of the best ways of ensuring ILM&M is kept to a minimum and effect a door-to-door move.

Removed the post about someone's personal issues with their CO. This forum is not the place to air that dirty laundry out.

- Milnet.ca Staff

I am on IR now and am wondering about separation expense. I understood they removed a lot of the benefits like food and daily rate separation because it was against TB policy. Food was because you are not paying to feed yourself at home while away so why get the benefit. I can buy that argument I guess.... but that lead me to believe that other expenses would qualify i.e. internet and cable if paid for at your primary residence could be claimed while on IR bc it is an expense that is due to separation for military reasons (I think one could argue it is a choice and not a reason but this would negate the need for it in the first place and the need to supply quarters or economy rent). My reason for IR is my spouse does not graduate university in Halifax until October of this year and my posting was in July (RFD Aug) of this year.

Why are only the connection fees covered and not the monthly cost for basic internet and basic cable? I have spoke with someone who was on IR in Wainwright and they had to cover these costs, as I will have to cover the cost in Comox should I decide to get the services.

I choose IR in order to access accommodations with cooking facilities (they are not available to unaccompanied pers). If I sell my house without a Q available I will have to move somewhere which would put me on a Pri 3 waitlist no hope of a Q during my stay here (1200 for a Q vs 2000 plus for townhouse on economy). No Q was guaranteed to be available until next APS. I would gladly pay for a Q and a house until my closing date if one was available but I am off the list once on IR.... Will need to come off IR prior to the posting season in order to be high on the que. Didn't realize this stipulation when I pulled the trigger on the IR memo.

Why do we make things so difficult for our members during posting?? I am hoping the expenses are being misinterpreted but after talking to another member from wr AB I am thinking it isn't.....

Any thoughts on what is an applicable expense claim?

Has it occurred to you that the cost of Basic Internet and cable should offset by the lower cable and Internet costs/demands at your primary residence.

hattrick72 said:
I am on IR now and am wondering about separation expense. I understood they removed a lot of the benefits like food and daily rate separation because it was against TB policy. Food was because you are not paying to feed yourself at home while away so why get the benefit. I can buy that argument I guess.... but that lead me to believe that other expenses would qualify i.e. internet and cable if paid for at your primary residence could be claimed while on IR bc it is an expense that is due to separation for military reasons (I think one could argue it is a choice and not a reason but this would negate the need for it in the first place and the need to supply quarters or economy rent). My reason for IR is my spouse does not graduate university in Halifax until October of this year and my posting was in July (RFD Aug) of this year.

Why are only the connection fees covered and not the monthly cost for basic internet and basic cable? I have spoke with someone who was on IR in Wainwright and they had to cover these costs, as I will have to cover the cost in Comox should I decide to get the services.

I choose IR in order to access accommodations with cooking facilities (they are not available to unaccompanied pers). If I sell my house without a Q available I will have to move somewhere which would put me on a Pri 3 waitlist no hope of a Q during my stay here (1200 for a Q vs 2000 plus for townhouse on economy). No Q was guaranteed to be available until next APS. I would gladly pay for a Q and a house until my closing date if one was available but I am off the list once on IR.... Will need to come off IR prior to the posting season in order to be high on the que. Didn't realize this stipulation when I pulled the trigger on the IR memo.

Why do we make things so difficult for our members during posting?? I am hoping the expenses are being misinterpreted but after talking to another member from wr AB I am thinking it isn't.....

Any thoughts on what is an applicable expense claim?
As always, the best source of information is an actual SME as opposed to anonymous pers on the internet.  You should have had a talk with your local IR clerk prior to making a decision to go on IR and, if you haven't had a meeting with your current IR clerk as to what your actual benefits are, you need to do that ASAP.

Nobody here is able to definitively answer the "whys" you are asking, or give you any nuggets of hidden benefits you aren't being told about.  Unfortunately, IR isn't the cash cow it was in the past but at least it is still an option to get some of your expenses covered.

Simian Turner said:
Has it occurred to you that the cost of Basic Internet and cable should offset by the lower cable and Internet costs/demands at your primary residence.

What??  So, if one less person is watching TV or using internet, your bill magically drops??  :stars:

PMedMoe said:
What??  So, if one less person is watching TV or using internet, your bill magically drops??  :stars:

Moe, not sure if your are being sarcastic? I would think that your internet usage (data requirement) should certainly decrease and the number of tvs that you can watch at one time should go down as well.  If it is a two person household and one person is on IR then in theory the decrease should be 50%.

Simian Turner said:
Moe, not sure if your are being sarcastic? I would think that your internet usage (data requirement) should certainly decrease and the number of tvs that you can watch at one time should go down as well.  If it is a two person household and one person is on IR then in theory the decrease should be 50%.

I'm not being sarcastic (yes, I know, shocking). 

If my cable/internet/phone package at my primary residence costs X amount of dollars, that amount isn't going to be lower because one less person is using the internet or cable. Data usage perhaps, but not the basic bill.  For example, in Toronto, my package was about $70/month.  That amount didn't decrease when I was away from home.

Maybe I'm not getting what you're saying.  :dunno:

Back