• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is it possible to be accepted to the CAF with undiagnosed depression?

Random4

Inactive
Reaction score
So I'm a graduating university student considering applying to the CAF through DEO. However, I have undiagnosed seasonal depression, and I currently take St. John's Wort every winter. It's considered a "natural health product" meaning it doesn't require a prescription and isn't even considered a drug by Health Canada, though I think it's psychoactive. Would it still be possible for me to be accepted given this, or would I just get rejected? Not sure whether it's worth taking the time to apply.

So I'm a graduating university student considering applying to the CAF through DEO. However, I have undiagnosed seasonal depression, and I currently take St. John's Wort every winter. It's considered a "natural health product" meaning it doesn't require a prescription and isn't even considered a drug by Health Canada, though I think it's psychoactive. Would it still be possible for me to be accepted given this, or would I just get rejected? Not sure whether it's worth taking the time to apply.

So, like almost everyone else in Canada between October and May?

I think the key here is 'undiagnosed'. It shouldn't be a problem.

OTOH, if you go Infantry, it could be a real career builder for you! ;)

Certain CAF members are not permitted to use “natural health products“ - St John‘s Wort is on the list of “no”.

What trade are you considering?

"Undiagnosed" Seasonal Affective Disorder?

So you get a little blue in the Winter? Take some vitamin D, up your physical activity ( make sure some is outdoors).

Drive on....

Would it still be possible for me to be accepted given this, or would I just get rejected?

Best way to find out is to apply.

For reference to the discussion,

Enrollment Medical,

21 pages.

Unofficial site, not associated with DND.

I guess the relevant question is whether you can stop taking St. John's Wort and still do your job (whatever the job is).

Also, is the environment (weather, location) a factor? Some people feel worse in places like coastal BC in the winter, when it's raining/dreary for weeks at a time.

feel real black and white GIF

I guess the relevant question is whether you can stop taking St. John's Wort and still do your job (whatever the job is).

Also, is the environment (weather, location) a factor? Some people feel worse in places like coastal BC in the winter, when it's raining/dreary for weeks at a time.
If you feel bad in Canada, just imagine how bad you will feel in:

FOB Dumphole:

fob-image3.jpg

Sea Shanty City

1619_7.png

Or even the boonies of our own Country:

science-arctic-resolute-b-008.jpg

Certain CAF members are not permitted to use “natural health products“ - St John‘s Wort is on the list of “no”.

What trade are you considering?

LogO, NWO, or HCA. Would any of those trades be affected?

Back