• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is this normal?

• Thread starter Thread starter mainse-event
  • Start date Start date
mainse-event said:
It's a growth experience for me,

And that experience doesnt stop once you get in. Good luck and please, think about your long term future.

Why did you quit high school?

I'll answer this one. When I dropped out, I was 100% certain that I intended on joining the army as a grunt and staying there until I was too old to serve. I wrongly believed that nothing I was learning was relevant. I see the error in my ways now, but I have my Maths and I continue to learn through self education on the internet and in books.

mainse-event said:
I apologize for the way I acted in this thread. I felt like you guys were kind of condescending, it's hard to tell on the internet what somebody is really trying to say. I was being a child, and you were all right. I never disagreed with the main fact that the army was full, to be honest I don't know why I made the thread. I was feeling a bit discouraged, and was hoping for a pick me up from you guys. It would have been awesome to hear, "don't worry man, it'll happen for you someday, just be patient, and good luck". I went about it the wrong way, again I apologize.

It's a growth experience for me, I wan't to stay present in this community because I think you guys have a vast amount of knowledge, and I would like to post now and in the future as a CF member.

Good to hear that you saw through. I was in your shoes a more than half a year ago being discouraged and demotivated, but as time goes by we will eventually learn that patience is key not only in the forces but also in life. Stay on the forums, you will learn alot and always be updated on recent development. Like just now I learned that my references are being contacted. Which hopefully means the recruitment system is moving again.

Best wishes to you and to all.

PMedMoe said:
Playing WoW and other video games does not necessarily make you able to "cut it" in the Army.  ::)
There you go, PMM, bursting my bubble.  I have a reserved copy of the next Call of Duty:Black Ops which comes out tonight at midnight, and I was hoping to glean some tactical tips from it. ;D

Seriously, Mainse-Event, you may wish to reconsider your decision to drop out of high school to enlist in the infantry.  As others have noted, lack of a high school diploma may limit your competitiveness to get in.  As importantly, even if you don't need it for infantry, when you knees/back go after a decade or so in the combat arms (assuming you get in) lack of a diploma will limit your voluntary occupational transfer opportunities.  If you weren't aware of it, the support trades are full of former combat arms soldiers who OT'ed when their bodies started to show the strain or they decided they wanted to try something different.

Disclaimer:  I am not currently, nor have I ever been, in the combat arms.  However, I have treated a few combat arms, legs, backs, etc in my career.

The-Mainse-Event said:

I'll answer this one. When I dropped out, I was 100% certain that I intended on joining the army as a grunt and staying there until I was too old to serve. I wrongly believed that nothing I was learning was relevant. I see the error in my ways now, but I have my Maths and I continue to learn through self education on the internet and in books.

Seeing how the recruiting process is going to take some time, use that time to your advantage....figure out how to get back in school, in either an outreach program, 2nd chance, or what ever they are called in your area. You have a goal, go for it, but arm yourself with credentials....Luck!!

A couple of my sons entered a program when they quit like you. The program allowed them to work and study at the same time. BTW...one of them is in the forces now, and in large part because he had the drive to go back and get his grade 12.....

Yes definitely consider going back to get your gr.12 or GED. Myself, I'm Currently finishing up my last year in the Electrical Trades. Hard to believe that I am going to have done half of my college while waiting to get into the Combat Arms. Doesn't hurt to have a fall back/ plan B.

The-Mainse-Event said:
I apologize for the way I acted in this thread. I felt like you guys were kind of condescending, it's hard to tell on the internet what somebody is really trying to say. I was being a child, and you were all right. I never disagreed with the main fact that the army was full, to be honest I don't know why I made the thread. I was feeling a bit discouraged, and was hoping for a pick me up from you guys. It would have been awesome to hear, "don't worry man, it'll happen for you someday, just be patient, and good luck". I went about it the wrong way, again I apologize.

It's a growth experience for me, I wan't to stay present in this community because I think you guys have a vast amount of knowledge, and I would like to post now and in the future as a CF member.
That's fair. I know it can get discouraging, but if you really want it, you will get it. It may take some time, but if the CF is really what you want, you will get your chance. Just remember that it may be difficult getting in, but it doesn't get easier once you're part of the CF. It's always a challenge, and that's why we (and you) will enjoy it.

The-Mainse-Event said:

A mistake, but it's good that you've learned from it. My advice here is to work toward your GED. It'll show the recruiters that you are better than the minimum requirement, make your file that much more competitive, and prepare you for a long term venture with the Canadian Forces.

No hard feelings, and I wish you luck on your application process. If you do have any questions, I encourage you to post them and we can do our best to answer.

Back