• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Islamic Terrorism in the West ( Mega thread)

We should hand out jars of Vaseline to immigrants as we bend over to accommodate them. And as a good Canadian, i apologize in advance for any offence cause by my mini rant.

Another lunatic:

International Business Times

Australia's Ginger Jihadist: Sydney Teenager Abdullah Elmir Vows to Fly Black Flag Over Buckingham Palace

IB Times

By Jack Moore | IB Times – Tue, Oct 21, 2014

A red-headed Australian jihadist has appeared in a new Isis [Islamic State] video, warning that the terror group will continue its war on the west until it flies a "black flag on top of Buckingham Palace".

Abdullah Elmir, 17, refers to himself as Abu Khaled during the video, in which he is surrounded by his fellow Islamist militants.

During the video, entitled Message Of The Mujahid 4, Elmir launches a scathing attack on the US-led coalition which is conducting airstrikes on the group's "caliphate" in northern Syria and Iraq.
"This message I deliver to you the people of America, this message I deliver to you the people of Britain and this message I deliver especially to you the people of Australia," Elmir begins.

(...SNIPPED)

3 potential terrorists stopped in time...

Agence-France-Presse

US girls stopped in Germany, suspected of trying to join IS
By: Agence France-Presse
October 23, 2014 6:46 AM

WASHINGTON DC - Three teenage American girls who were suspected of wanting to join Islamic State jihadists were sent home after they were intercepted in Germany, US media reports and officials said Wednesday.

The three Colorado girls, of Sudanese and Somali origin, were heading for Turkey when they were stopped by German authorities at Frankfurt airport, CNN said.

Turkey is a key point of entry for would-be jihadists looking to join Islamic State militants in Iraq and Syria.

A law enforcement official told ABC News that the girls were trying "to fulfill what they believe is some vision that has been put out on a slick media campaign" by radical groups in Syria.

(...SNIPPED)

As soon as they pass through security, at whatever airport, and are in the international area, suspend their passports. Let them figure the rest out for themselves. Can't go forward, can't go back. I'm betting it won't be long, living in the airport, with everyone knowing who they are, before they start making deals with whatever country is going to offer them shelter and a hot meal.

Robert0288 said:
Now whats the plan?  Return them to the US?

recceguy said:
As soon as they pass through security, at whatever airport, and are in the international area, suspend their passports. Let them figure the rest out for themselves. Can't go forward, can't go back. I'm betting it won't be long, living in the airport, with everyone knowing who they are, before they start making deals with whatever country is going to offer them shelter and a hot meal.

They were stopped in Frankfurt, and have since been returned home to Colorado. No charges are expected to be laid.

Denver Somalis fear fallout from trio's apparent bid to join militants

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-denver-teens-20141023-story.html

Authorities say two sisters, ages 15 and 17, of Somali descent and a third girl, 16, from Sudan were reported missing Friday and were stopped by officials at the airport in Frankfurt, Germany. They had apparently lied to their parents about their whereabouts and stole $2,000 to finance the trip.

The girls even tweeted their plans to friends at school, who either warned them against going or wished them well, according to the Denver Post. The teens have returned to Denver and will not face local charges, according to a spokesman for the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office. The FBI is investigating but would not comment on the possibility of federal charges.

"They were all underage, and fortunately we were able to assist in finding them," said a senior FBI official, speaking to the Los Angeles Times on condition of anonymity because the investigation was ongoing. "We're not sure yet who was influencing whom, or why. But they are all safe."

A sheriff's deputy who went to check on the Somali sisters at their home Monday found them asleep in their bedroom. Their mother woke them up to speak to the deputy, a sheriff's office report said.

I don't think the girls were doing it because they hate America.... They were taken in by ISIS propaganda.
- Rafael Vorvor, referring to three Denver teenagers who traveled to Germany
"I asked them why they went to Germany, and they said, 'Family,' and would not elaborate on any other details about their trip," the deputy wrote in the report.

Few in their community believe the girls acted alone. Tustin Amole, a spokesman for the Cherry Creek School District, told the Associated Press that at least one of the girls was communicating with someone online encouraging them to go to Syria.

"They were young and ignorant," Mohammed said. "How do teenagers get aboard international flights alone? This was a process.

"Listen to me, Somalis love talking about politics," he said. "They never stop.

"I worry that these kids hear their parents talking about ISIS and take it seriously," he said, using an acronym for Islamic State.

More at the link.

I wonder what those girls actually expected if/when they arrived in the "Caliphate". I hope they understood they would become sex slaves for various ISIS fighters. On that note, here is an article about what some people think is the driving force behind this sort of "self radicalization", and perhaps a means to stop it:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/10/22/na1023-tb-radicalization/

Radicalized young people feel like ‘a speck of dust in an uncaring universe’ before joining extremists like ISIS

Tom Blackwell | October 22, 2014 7:57 PM ET
More from Tom Blackwell | @tomblackwellNP

They are as perplexing as their acts are violent and shocking: young people born and bred in the relative comfort of a prosperous Western society who adopt a brutal, extreme and foreign ideology.

Andrew Coyne: We can’t stop every terror attack, so let’s brace ourselves and adapt

How easy it is. How easy it was. How terribly, ineluctably easy.

Since September 11, 2001, authorities across the West have been bracing themselves for the second act, the big kill, the spectacular slaughter of hundreds or even thousands at a time. And though many attempts have been made, they have by and large been successfully intercepted. The worst terrorist attack on Western soil since then was the London Transport bombings of 2005, which killed 56.

That threat remains. But in the interim it has been joined by a new threat. Not the macro-terrorism of our worst nightmares, carefully staged bits of Grand Guignol involving hijacked planes or dirty bombs or what have you — the kind that require money and planning and the coordinated movements of a number of accomplices over many months — but micro-terrorism: a couple of “lone wolves,” maybe even one, with no similar ambition or sophistication, but also less exposure to detection.

We have just seen how effective it can be.

If true, it would amplify difficult questions about how such violent zealots are created — and what can be done to stop them before they strike out.

What’s known about homegrown terrorists is muddy. Evidence suggests they are no more likely to have psychiatric problems than others, but seem to be searching for some kind of personal meaning, or a morbid brand of immortality or, simply, adventure, various experts say.

And the most difficult to comprehend — Canadians who convert first to Islam and then to extremism — are likely targeted by recruiters for groups like ISIS, said Muhammad Robert Heft, a convert himself whose group P4E tries to defuse radicals.

“New Muslims are like sponges, they take in all this information so quickly, so they can get confused really easily,” he said. “And they’re not culturally set in their ways so they’re easier to work on. They’re more susceptible to these recruiters.”

Dozens of Canadian extremists are believed already overseas fighting with Islamist extremist groups like ISIS or Somalia’s Al-Shabab and another 90 have been identified by the RCMP and CSIS as eager to join them. Martin Couture Rouleau, shot dead after running over two Quebec soldiers Monday and killing one of them, was on the list. The man behind Wednesday’s shooting of a sentry at Ottawa’s War Memorial and armed assault on the Parliament Buildings has been identified as Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, also reportedly among the “high-risk travellers” identified by police.

And yet even when suspects come to light, officers say there is only so much they can do to prevent violent behaviour in someone who has committed no crime. They had visited Mr. Rouleau on Oct. 9, leaving convinced that he was moving away from extremism and unable to take other action.

One exception was Mohamed Hersi, a 28-year-old immigrant from Somalia sentenced in a Toronto court to 10 years in prison in July for attempting to join a terrorist group. In that case, an undercover officer was able to record incriminating statements.

The answer for others may lie, not so much with visits from police, but with engagement by religious peers and leaders — before the homegrown radical becomes a homegrown terrorist, some experts say.

“So far, we’ve been very reactive, as opposed to preventive,” says Joceyln Belanger, a psychologist and expert on radicalization at University of Quebec at Montreal. “We have to ensure that members of our community are well integrated.”

Mr. Heft said he has managed to turn around many of the youth he works with, saying his personal background makes him better equipped to challenge the beliefs of misguided young extremists than imams, symbolic leaders who can be “clueless” about what drives radicalized youth.

Encounters with police and intelligence agencies, on the other hand, only encourage their warped sense of victimhood and identity with terrorists, he said.

Related
'I'm crying for victims, not for my son': Mother of suspected Ottawa gunman gives condolences
What we know about Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, the accused Ottawa gunman: A Quebec man with a criminal past
Kevin Vickers used to play cops and robbers as a child — Wednesday, he took out a killer
Soldier Nathan Cirillo died standing guard over one of his own
A new program being developed by the York Region Police near Toronto seems promising, Mr. Heft said. The force is actively involving the myriad ethnic and religious groups in its community to help head off radicalization, said Insp. Ricky Veerappan.

But what motivates a Canadian — born Muslim or otherwise — to adopt a lifestyle that seems not only reprehensible, but so alien to the prevailing culture?

At the University of Waterloo, sociologist Lorne Dawson is embarking on a study of homegrown radicals he hopes will fill in some of the gaps.

What little evidence exists now indicates terrorists generally are no more likely to suffer from psychological problems than the general population, he said. As for the homegrown variety, some are second-generation immigrants struggling to find a place between their parents’ culture and Canadian society. Adhering to a dogmatic ideology might give them the direction they seek, said Prof. Dawson, noting that not all young people are craving freedom.

In fact, “there is a whole group to whom that is totally perplexing and frustrating,” he said. “They don’t want that. They want structure and order. They want a clear vision.”

Research that Prof. Bélanger and colleagues have done with Tamil Tigers and extremists in Jordan and the Philippines point to a single, overarching motivation, what the academics call the “quest for personal significance,” leading them to join a community they believe gives their lives meaning, and adopting its ideology in an effort to be accepted.

“When, for instance, [they feel they are] not important, they don’t matter, they are a speck of dust in some kind of uncaring universe, it increases psychological pain,” he said. “One way of assuaging this negative feeling is connecting through a group.”

That connection might occur in person or, in the case of “lone-wolf” radicals, through online correspondence with an extremist overseas, like ISIS members who have posted propaganda videos on the Internet, said Prof. Belanger. Once hooked, the home-grown radical may be willing to sacrifice his own life – as well as take others’ – thinking “they will have more in death than they had in life.”

Mr. Heft has observed what seems like a similar phenomenon. The radicalized youth he encounters often seem dissatisfied with their existences, he said.

“These are not sacrificing anything for Allah … they’re sacrificing for attention,” said Mr. Heft. “They’re not happy with their lives. They’re not doing what they want to do. A lot of them are depressed. A lot of them are doing this as an indirect suicide.”

...while another one slips through...like weeds that keep on growing no matter how many times you cut them.

CBC

Another Canadian jihadi slips through the cracks

CBC – 8 hours ago

Yet another young Canadian has managed to get away to Syria to fulfil his aim of waging jihad and has boasted of his exploits online, an investigation by Radio-Canada's investigative program Enquête has found.

This comes after news emerged that Martin Couture-Rouleau and Michael Zehaf-Bibeau — two men involved in the killings of two soldiers that shocked the country this week — had been blocked from leaving Canada over fears they planned to travel to the Middle East to join militant groups.

But an investigation by Enquête found that a young Montrealer named Sami did make the journey to Syria. His story was featured in a special edition of the CBC’sthe fifth estate Friday.

Enquête journalists began following the journey of Sami, whose last name is being withheld, with the help of the young man himself — via his active online presence.

(...SNIPPED)

S.M.A. said:
...while another one slips through...like weeds that keep on growing no matter how many times you cut them.

CBC

Ideology cannot be killed. Even now we have Nazis in the mix, and Communists despite the fact that both ideologies are crap.

Mix Islam into a jihadist ideology, toss in a little mental illness/issues........

Jim Seggie said:
Ideology cannot be killed. Even now we have Nazis in the mix, and Communists despite the fact that both ideologies are crap.

Mix Islam into a jihadist ideology, toss in a little mental illness/issues........

+300, Jim

That's exactly right. I despise Neo-Nazis with every fibre of my being ... they are the scum of the earth; they have no right to live ... I would happily pull the lever to hang each and every one, but there they are and my own, personal values oblige me to defend their right to speak and act as they do, so long as they remain within the law.

I hate communists, too, because they are, all, without exception, terminally f__'ng stupid, and they, too, ought to be euthanized so that they cannot teach in our schools or universities.

Jihadis ... only modestly horrid, by comparison. We can, and should, interdict them, by whatever means are at hand. But jihadis are no more representative of Islam than the Westboro Baptist Church is of Christianity.

Sorry Edward, I hit Modify instead of quote.

S.M.A. said:

CBC

I can't believe the media is withholding this douche nozzles name.  To what end, protect the innocent?  That ship sailed along with his islamofascist ass.  as to him being in Syria?  Good, give him every opportunity to die for his beliefs over there rather than here, now cancel his passport and post his picture in every CIS booth in every airport in Canada so he has no chance of getting back in.

E.R. Campbell said:
+300, Jim

That's exactly right. I despise Neo-Nazis with every fibre of my being ... they are the scum of the earth; they have no right to live ... I would happily pull the lever to hang each and every one, but there they are and my own, personal values oblige me to defend their right to speak and act as they do, so long as they remain within the law.

I hate communists, too, because they are, all, without exception, terminally f__'ng stupid, and they, too, ought to be euthanized so that they cannot teach in our schools or universities.

Jihadis ... only modestly horrid, by comparison. We can, and should, interdict them, by whatever means are at hand. But jihadis are no more representative of Islam than the Westboro Baptist Church is of Christianity.

I get the impression you may not like commies.
You wouldn't want to take a vacation in Greece at my mom's place of birth. They used to exile communists there in the mid 1900s, so imagine what happens to the following generations.

cryco said:
I get the impression you may not like commies.
You wouldn't want to take a vacation in Greece at my mom's place of birth. They used to exile communists there in the mid 1900s, so imagine what happens to the following generations.

:nod:

I'm sure there are some quite lovely communists ... in fact, several decades ago, I seem to recall sleeping with one of them; one, I hasten to add, of the young, female persuasion with shaved legs, etc.

It, communism, in both theory and practice, is, on its face, nonsensical and I cannot understand how anyone could be taken in by it ... because it is, on a grand scale, nothing but a Ponzi scheme.

But (there's always a 'but,' isn't there?) Zhou Enlai, a man I much admire in many ways, was, despite his very real concerns about the economics of communism, a committed communist because he believed that Russian style, Leninist communism was the only way that China could be moved, quickly, into the modern, scientific/industrial/technological age. We know that he argued against many established communist dogmas, like collective farms, for example, because he feared, correctly, that those communist practices would do much more harm than good, but he still supported Mao's version of Leninism and, within in - perhaps, some historians argue because of it - he made quiet monumental changes to many, many aspects of Chinese life, changes that appear to be permanent.

E.R. Campbell said:
+300, Jim

ERC at your finest. ;-) Expertly expressing my identical opinion. I also liked your follow on communist ideology revelations.

E.R. Campbell said:
+300, Jim

[tangent]

Edward, I know what your saying but I've seen similar to this a couple of times, recently, on the forums. While not denying the intrinsic nature between the two, I have some trouble equating the two.

The WBC does not number in the thousands. They are basically one family with a few hangers on. They do not go around kidnapping and beheading people. Yes, they're a pain in the ass, but are protected by the Bill of Rights and the American Constitution. They break no laws. They're just unpalatable, brainwashed idiots who are more of a danger to themselves than any outside influence. They have been effectively countered in the past by other good hearted citizens using the same protections of the Bill of Rights and the Constitution.

The similarity ends with them being, intolerant, ignorant, homophobic bigots.[/tangent]

Without communists, the CAF would not have survived Pierre Trudeau's confusions.

With ISIS, the CAF may not survive the governments delusions.

Without ISIS, the CAF may not survive the governments illusions.

War is always now. Only that much is clear.

whiskey601 said:
Without communists, the CAF would not have survived Pierre Trudeau's confusions.

With ISIS, the CAF may not survive the governments delusions.

Without ISIS, the CAF may not survive the governments illusions.

War is always now. Only that much is clear.

I can be a bit dense at times.....please clarify what you are saying.

A 30-year-old assault-rifle collector from Pakistan has been arrested on allegations that he is a terrorist threat to Canada. The Ontario resident is in jail, charged under immigration laws that would allow him to be deported, just one year after he avoided prison on different charges.

The new case shows how the Canadian government’s approach to suspected extremists may be evolving – rapidly – since two soldiers were killed last week in attacks the government has called terrorism.

(....)

Muhammad Aqeeq Ansari, a Karachi-born software designer who has lived in Ontario for several years, was arrested on Oct. 27. His lawyer said on Wednesday in an interview he is charged under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act with being a danger to the security of Canada.

He said federal officials allege Mr. Ansari has ties to terrorists in Pakistan, that he had amassed “a small arsenal” of guns; and that he has expressed extreme opinions on Twitter.

Under Canadian law, less evidence is required to deport someone than to send them to prison.

“This is the easiest way of squeezing somebody,” said Anser Farooq, a Mississauga-based lawyer who has defended clients accused of terrorism offences ....
Globe & Mail, 30 Oct 14
Now, what to do about the homegrowns?

Back