• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Islamic Terrorism in the West ( Mega thread)

I think  you have to be very careful here with vocabulary, Kilo_302.

What you described is not "double tap". Double Tap is an infantry technique which is meant for forcible entry into a building known to house enemies. It requires the soldier to always shoot two bullets, minimum, into any enemy to ensure neutralization. It is not a war crime in any way.

What you described, which is hitting a target (here we are talking of a building or location, even if the actual purpose of the mission is the execution of a single specific individual) multiple times to ensure that the target is destroyed is NOT a war crime, so long as the mission is legitimate and you act to minimize co-lateral damage.

In such scenario, if the purpose of the first strike was to attract to the location first responders who are either civilians or medical personnel under the Geneva conventions so that they can be taken out on a second strike, that would be a war crime. I dare you to find me a single instance where a Western Power has used such tactics, even going back to before WWI. On the other hand, such tactics is almost par for the course for terrorists, especially suicide bombers, which is why our "first responders" in a terrorist attack are usually the police and the Army, with a mission of evacuating the area in case a second bomb is co-located, and ensuring the safety of the area before letting first aiders into the area.

Kilo_302 said:
I understand you're asking for suggestions, but shouldn't there more onus on those who support military action when 15 years of military action has NOT worked?
Not necessarily.  I've found it beneficial for all concerned that when someone comes to me saying "X is wrong," to ask for potential solutions.  That may get them thinking about the various constraints, restraints, and knock-on effects that has us doing X in the first place.  It helps them self-develop -- to think through problems on a more than superficial level of simply disagreeing with something.

GR66 said:
I think it's naive to believe that terrorism against the West is simply a reaction to Western military intervention in the Islamic Crescent.  What is going on there is a cultural civil war.  Far more of the effort of the extremists is against their own people in their own countries than against the West.  We are simply a symbol of the modern liberalism that they oppose.

I don't believe most rational people given a choice are against liberalism or democracy. Remember that we have always chosen to support autocratic and authoritarian regimes in the region over secular nationalism. "We" have also chosen at times to support theocratic regimes and militant Islamic groups over secular nationalism. We can't have it every way.

If we're selling weapons to the Saudis, who then use them against popular uprisings (that include calls for democracy and indeed the "liberalism" of which you speak) it begs the question: which side in this war are we on? Or maybe more accurately, "how many sides?"

Radical Islam has largely been a reaction to secular dictatorships that we have supported, NOT secular democracy (which we have never supported in the Islamic world). There are certainly people out there who hate our liberalism, but they would have a hard time attracting followers in a liberal democracy.

It's disappointing that 15 years in we still don't understand this. Bin Laden laid out his complaints in his 2002 "Letter to America." Does it make the attacks on 9/11 legitimate? Or course not. Are his complaints legitimate? Well they are certainly accurate.

The Iraq sanctions that killed 500,000 children, the unflinching support for Israel, the presence of US troops in Saudi Arabia. These are the grievances he cited as reason for the initial attacks. If we are serious about preventing further attacks, it follows that killing over a million more Iraqis, occupying that country, continuing to support Israel despite international law, and added to that drone attacks in several undeclared wars, these things might not be the deterrence we believe they are.

SeaKingTacco said:
Kilo- which times, specifically have the CIA hit a target and then hit it again a few minutes later when the first responders are on scene?

I would like to learn more about this.

https://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/2012/02/04/obama-terror-drones-cia-tactics-in-pakistan-include-targeting-rescuers-and-funerals/

https://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/2012/06/04/cia-revives-attacks-on-rescuers-in-pakistan/

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-drone-tweets-reveal-double-tap-plan-2012-12
Oldgateboatdriver said:
I think  you have to be very careful here with vocabulary, Kilo_302.

What you described is not "double tap". Double Tap is an infantry technique which is meant for forcible entry into a building known to house enemies. It requires the soldier to always shoot two bullets, minimum, into any enemy to ensure neutralization. It is not a war crime in any way.

What you described, which is hitting a target (here we are talking of a building or location, even if the actual purpose of the mission is the execution of a single specific individual) multiple times to ensure that the target is destroyed is NOT a war crime, so long as the mission is legitimate and you act to minimize co-lateral damage.

In such scenario, if the purpose of the first strike was to attract to the location first responders who are either civilians or medical personnel under the Geneva conventions so that they can be taken out on a second strike, that would be a war crime. I dare you to find me a single instance where a Western Power has used such tactics, even going back to before WWI. On the other hand, such tactics is almost par for the course for terrorists, especially suicide bombers, which is why our "first responders" in a terrorist attack are usually the police and the Army, with a mission of evacuating the area in case a second bomb is co-located, and ensuring the safety of the area before letting first aiders into the area.

I understand what the original meaning of "double tap" is. However it has become common nomenclature to describe terrorist attacks against first responders. This term has now been expanded to include US strikes. Ironically, it was the US who first applied the term "double tap" as a common terrorist tactic.

Kilo, you have yet to respond to any request for verification.  Please provide an example of the U.S.  deliberately targeting first res-ponders.

YZT580 said:
Kilo, you have yet to respond to any request for verification.  Please provide an example of the U.S.  deliberately targeting first res-ponders.

Did you read anything at the links I posted?

https://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/2012/02/04/obama-terror-drones-cia-tactics-in-pakistan-include-targeting-rescuers-and-funerals/

Here's a link that mentions an attack on a funeral for militants killed in a previous attack. Can the US also assume that everyone attending is a militant?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/jun/03/american-drones-kill-12-pakistan?newsfeed=true

Here's a collection of tweets of mainstream media articles that specifically mention rescuers being killed after an initial strike. The Twitter account is still active, so you can track the "progress" being made. All the drone attacks reported by media in one convenient place.

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-drone-tweets-reveal-double-tap-plan-2012-12

Jed said:
I think this approach is simply a failing delay tactic. Like watching a slow growing cancer take hold. It is well past time to go in and take these ISIS guys down hard, and be relentless in rooting them out.  Will good Muslims be affected? Yes, very unfortunately. Time to get off the fence and really do something.

I might be tempted to agree with you if this were a case where the radicals could be very clearly differentiated from the "others" allowing us to take them out.  I don't believe that is the case though.  While the very vast majority of Muslims do not in any way agree with the most extreme actions of the radicals the "others" are very far from a homogeneous group.

There is such a wide variety of competing and overlapping national, ethnic, regional, linguistic, religious, and political interests in the region that it really is virtually impossible to choose a "side".  Supporting one "ally" may anger a competing "ally" while one "enemy" might be "allies" with one or more of your "allies". 

It may be very messy but I don't see inserting ourselves even deeper into this mess being any better a solution than waiting until they sort it out themselves.  That doesn't mean that we can't take action where needed and useful, but I don't think it should be the primary focus.  My opinion anyway.

Actually K302, I just read very carefully all your links.

It describes exactly what I was talking about: Multiple hits on a legitimate target to ensure its destruction. Not a specific intent at attracting then killing civilian/medical first responders. If such first responders are there when a second strike on an otherwise legitimate target occurs, that is collateral damage, which ought to be minimized if possible, , but it is not a war crime, notwithstanding the UN special rapporteur, whose biased view to start with is that ANY civilian or co-lateral casualty is a war crime. Unfortunately for him, the UN special rapporteurs like him are the only people in the world that count these as automatic war crimes. The international courts don't.

Look at the very first article you cite: A group of Taliban in Pakistan is finishing prayers just before crossing into Afghanistan to fight. They are bombed. By their own description, while the surviving Taliban are attempting to help the injured the second strike occurs. Did civilian also attend to the injured? Yes. Was the gathering still a legitimate target? Yes. The surviving Taliban were still there. Did the CIA tactic aim at attracting and killing civilians or medical personnel? No.

Same, BTW for funerals. There is no rule of war whatsoever that describes a funeral as protected gathering. And what does a senior Taliban commander's funeral attracts more than a whole group of Taliban fighters in the same location? Sorry, legitimate target again, even if unfortunate for civilians also in attendance (but I can't believe there would be many of those, other than most immediate family of the deceased.) 

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Actually K302, I just read very carefully all your links.

It describes exactly what I was talking about: Multiple hits on a legitimate target to ensure its destruction. Not a specific intent at attracting then killing civilian/medical first responders. If such first responders are there when a second strike on an otherwise legitimate target occurs, that is collateral damage, which ought to be minimized if possible, , but it is not a war crime, notwithstanding the UN special rapporteur, whose biased view to start with is that ANY civilian or co-lateral casualty is a war crime. Unfortunately for him, the UN special rapporteurs like him are the only people in the world that count these as automatic war crimes. The international courts don't.

Look at the very first article you cite: A group of Taliban in Pakistan is finishing prayers just before crossing into Afghanistan to fight. They are bombed. By their own description, while the surviving Taliban are attempting to help the injured the second strike occurs. Did civilian also attend to the injured? Yes. Was the gathering still a legitimate target? Yes. The surviving Taliban were still there. Did the CIA tactic aim at attracting and killing civilians or medical personnel? No.

Same, BTW for funerals. There is no rule of war whatsoever that describes a funeral as protected gathering. And what does a senior Taliban commander's funeral attracts more than a whole group of Taliban fighters in the same location? Sorry, legitimate target again, even if unfortunate for civilians also in attendance (but I can't believe there would be many of those, other than most immediate family of the deceased.)

But you're also relying on the military and CIA to for their version of intent. If you're not intending to kill first responders, why not use two missiles right off the bat? The grey area here is if the end result is repeated killing of first responders, then intent can be proven. Or at least, callous disregard for civilian lives, which is something we regularly attribute to terrorists.

Kilo_302 said:
I don't believe most rational people given a choice are against liberalism or democracy.

One thing that I've come to understand over the years is that while the collective "we" in the liberal West may intuitively understand the benefits of liberalism and democracy, it is NOT something that we can export to the rest of the world.  We cannot simply sweep away despotic and corrupt regimes and stand back and watch democracy take bloom.  It just doesn't happen like that.  It is not an instinct that is inherent to humanity and just happens naturally if you let it.

The West had to go through a lot of blood, death, pain, hatred and crisis to get to the point that as a culture we accept the general premises of a liberal democratic system to the point that even when challenged we stand by the system.  The 30 Years War, Revolutions, Civil Wars, World Wars.  Milliions of dead.  And still we face challenges to our democracies and have to push back against the powers of our own states. 

Without that history ingrained in their culture you cannot drop in our system and expect it to succeed.  We've seen that in many places.  I do believe that eventually other parts of the world, including the Middle East, will come up with their own system that works for them but like us it will likely have to be paid for in blood before it can take root.

GR66 said:
One thing that I've come to understand over the years is that while the collective "we" in the liberal West may intuitively understand the benefits of liberalism and democracy, it is NOT something that we can export to the rest of the world.  We cannot simply sweep away despotic and corrupt regimes and stand back and watch democracy take bloom.  It just doesn't happen like that.  It is not an instinct that is inherent to humanity and just happens naturally if you let it.

The West had to go through a lot of blood, death, pain, hatred and crisis to get to the point that as a culture we accept the general premises of a liberal democratic system to the point that even when challenged we stand by the system.  The 30 Years War, Revolutions, Civil Wars, World Wars.  Milliions of dead.  And still we face challenges to our democracies and have to push back against the powers of our own states. 

Without that history ingrained in their culture you cannot drop in our system and expect it to succeed.  We've seen that in many places.  I do believe that eventually other parts of the world, including the Middle East, will come up with their own system that works for them but like us it will likely have to be paid for in blood before it can take root.

All true words.  However, because of the the blood, death, pain ...  etc. that the West has expended for us to live in our wonderful democratic countries, we need to drastically step up our self preservation for the sake of all our peoples.
It is far past time to deal with the extremist Muslim problem in a honest, direct and forceful manner. We can no longer allow a irritatingly useless politically correct approach to hinder a coordinated response to this major threat.

Good post GR66, +1

In fact, if history has taught us anything, it is that the stronger a religion's hold (any religion) on a given society, the more likely it is governed by a "god" appointed and "church" sanctioned leader who is as close to a despotic monarch as can be. Interestingly enough, the biggest exception seem to be Iran. A religion based society, but with a reasonably democratic system, all things considered.

It is only when the enlightenment succeeded at dissociating church and state (and in particular throwing off the burden of Catholicism) in Europe that democracy was re-discovered in the ruins of Greek philosophy and started to flourish.

I think AbdullahD is on to something. While the use of military power, intelligence and other kinetic tools are always going to be needed, the counterpoint is to run "cultural" efforts to ensure that people are attracted to the values of Western liberal culture (liberal in the sense of individual rights and freedom, unfettered use of property and the Rule of Law) and at the same time repelled by the radical vision being preached by the Jihadis.

We have one strong leg of the tripod, in that we can apply kinetic solutions pretty much wherever and whenever we like. The other two legs are very weak, however. *We* are quite good at selling the idea of the western consumer society to all and sundry, so much so that people from Tienanmen Square to Timbuktu carry smart phones, wear jeans and gather at a place modelled after Starbucks to socialize. OTOH, defense of human rights is weak to non existent (when Brownshirts can move in and shut down speakers with seeming impunity at Canadian and American Universities, while other groups are marginalized or even punished for expressing their opinions on the campus grounds, *we* are not sending a strong signal that individual rights and freedoms are respected here. And if *we* don't respect our own moral and philosophical foundations, why should *they*?). And the last leg of sending strong condemnation against terrorist atrocities is often blunted by "yes but" or weird arguments of moral equivalency between us and them.

We really need to show people by word and deed that the liberal foundations of the West are strong and worth adopting. We need to sensitize families against the message of radicalism by making it more desirable to have living sons and daughters rather than dead "martyrs" (and the stick of withdrawing all social welfare and assistence from the families of terrorists and enablers is probably a good tool to use as well).

And continue to weild the "Terrible Swift Sword" against any and all who raise their hands against us and out families and friends.

Thucydides said:
I think AbdullahD is on to something. While the use of military power, intelligence and other kinetic tools are always going to be needed, the counterpoint is to run "cultural" efforts to ensure that people are attracted to the values of Western liberal culture (liberal in the sense of individual rights and freedom, unfettered use of property and the Rule of Law) and at the same time repelled by the radical vision being preached by the Jihadis.

We have one strong leg of the tripod, in that we can apply kinetic solutions pretty much wherever and whenever we like. The other two legs are very weak, however. *We* are quite good at selling the idea of the western consumer society to all and sundry, so much so that people from Tienanmen Square to Timbuktu carry smart phones, wear jeans and gather at a place modelled after Starbucks to socialize. OTOH, defense of human rights is weak to non existent (when Brownshirts can move in and shut down speakers with seeming impunity at Canadian and American Universities, while other groups are marginalized or even punished for expressing their opinions on the campus grounds, *we* are not sending a strong signal that individual rights and freedoms are respected here. And if *we* don't respect our own moral and philosophical foundations, why should *they*?). And the last leg of sending strong condemnation against terrorist atrocities is often blunted by "yes but" or weird arguments of moral equivalency between us and them.

We really need to show people by word and deed that the liberal foundations of the West are strong and worth adopting. We need to sensitize families against the message of radicalism by making it more desirable to have living sons and daughters rather than dead "martyrs" (and the stick of withdrawing all social welfare and assistence from the families of terrorists and enablers is probably a good tool to use as well).

And continue to weild the "Terrible Swift Sword" against any and all who raise their hands against us and out families and friends.

We haven't seen the "Terrible Swift Sword" for a long time.  Maybe we are over due?

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Good post GR66, +1

In fact, if history has taught us anything, it is that the stronger a religion's hold (any religion) on a given society, the more likely it is governed by a "god" appointed and "church" sanctioned leader who is as close to a despotic monarch as can be. Interestingly enough, the biggest exception seem to be Iran. A religion based society, but with a reasonably democratic system, all things considered.

It is only when the enlightenment succeeded at dissociating church and state (and in particular throwing off the burden of Catholicism) in Europe that democracy was re-discovered in the ruins of Greek philosophy and started to flourish.
Biting the hand that feeds you, are we?  That "burden" of Catholicism is what built this Western Society.  Everything, from universities, hospitals, universal human rights, laws of war, international laws, etc, are all thanks to that imperfect church guiding Europe.
INBEFOREMIDDLEAGES.
The ruins of Greek philosophy are known today only because of the monastic system which preserved these ancient texts in spite of Europe being over run by a previous group of savages.  The history of the church is littered with scientists, thinkers, etc, who all contributed to that which we call Civilization. 
The West has lost its soul, and will be supplanted by the invading species in a generation or two; birthrates alone confirm it.

Kilo_302 said:
But you're also relying on the military and CIA to for their version of intent. If you're not intending to kill first responders, why not use two missiles right off the bat? The grey area here is if the end result is repeated killing of first responders, then intent can be proven. Or at least, callous disregard for civilian lives, which is something we regularly attribute to terrorists.

Many points here.

First, I don't rely on anyone for intent. Intent arises from an analysis of the facts, all the facts, but an analysis made from the perspective of warfare, NOT of civilian ordinary criminal cases.

This is important. I do not see any of your military background in your profile, and do not know if you have any. But you talk of grey area. That is a civilian approach. As an operational commander, I cannot afford to deal with grey in a long philosophical discussion over coffee. I look at grey and call it either black or white. You make the call quickly and based on what is more important for the protection of your people and performance of the mission [a single ordinary Taliban in a crowd of ten civilians: White - don't shoot; a senior Taliban commander you have been trying to pin point for six months in the same crowd of ten civilians: Sorry, Black: Shoot!].

Second, you keep talking of "first responders". That is not a concept under the rules of war. Under LOAC, you are a combatant, a member of medical teams (specific identification is required) or a civilian. You need to prove that the very intent of a strike, no matter how often it happens, is specifically to kill the civilians or medical personnel for it to be a war crime. So long as there remains a legitimate target for a second strike, or third, of sufficient importance, the collateral damage does not amount to war crime and the frequency is irrelevant.

Finally, I suggest it would be the employment of two missiles every time that would be against the rules. You shoot once, then you evaluate the damage and achievement of your aim. If the mission is complete with one, then that is the end of it.  Otherwise, and only then, do you carry out second strike.

P.S.: In my experience, true civilians don't tend to rush at the site of a bombing they know or suspect is related to ongoing warfare in order to help the combatants. The more likely scenario is that other combatants set aside what they are doing to assist their fellow fighters. And if they just set their weapons aside to help, they are neither civilians nor medical personnel under the convention, and remain legitimate targets themselves.   

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Many points here.

First, I don't rely on anyone for intent. Intent arises from an analysis of the facts, all the facts, but an analysis made from the perspective of warfare, NOT of civilian ordinary criminal cases.

This is important. I do not see any of your military background in your profile, and do not know if you have any. But you talk of grey area. That is a civilian approach. As an operational commander, I cannot afford to deal with grey in a long philosophical discussion over coffee. I look at grey and call it either black or white. You make the call quickly and based on what is more important for the protection of your people and performance of the mission [a single ordinary Taliban in a crowd of ten civilians: White - don't shoot; a senior Taliban commander you have been trying to pin point for six months in the same crowd of ten civilians: Sorry, Black: Shoot!].

Second, you keep talking of "first responders". That is not a concept under the rules of war. Under LOAC, you are a combatant, a member of medical teams (specific identification is required) or a civilian. You need to prove that the very intent of a strike, no matter how often it happens, is specifically to kill the civilians or medical personnel for it to be a war crime. So long as there remains a legitimate target for a second strike, or third, of sufficient importance, the collateral damage does not amount to war crime and the frequency is irrelevant.

Finally, I suggest it would be the employment of two missiles every time that would be against the rules. You shoot once, then you evaluate the damage and achievement of your aim. If the mission is complete with one, then that is the end of it.  Otherwise, and only then, do you carry out second strike.

P.S.: In my experience, true civilians don't tend to rush at the site of a bombing they know or suspect is related to ongoing warfare in order to help the combatants. The more likely scenario is that other combatants set aside what they are doing to assist their fellow fighters. And if they just set their weapons aside to help, they are neither civilians nor medical personnel under the convention, and remain legitimate targets themselves. 

I understand that a military commander must treat "grey" like black or white, however this just underlines my point that a military approach has doomed us to cycle of violence that we cannot end. If we do not treat militants/terrorists whatever you want to call them as enemy soldiers, then applying military force as it exists under international law in a traditional conflict seems problematic to say the least. Now I'm not suggesting we treat them as uniformed soldiers, but you can see the problem with defining the target one way, and operating as though they are something else.

While we may not be committing war crimes under international law with "double tap" strikes (I for one believe intent is there, just not proven yet) there is a certain moral equivalency that raises questions about the overall war (s?). We can't win a conflict in which we are willing to sink to the same or similar depths of moral depravity as our enemy, and it must seem to our target audience (no pun intended) that we are.

This is assuming of course, that defeating terrorism is dependent on depriving militant leaders of their source of recruits. We can do that kinetically, but I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting we get into attrition warfare with everyone who happens to live in these countries. The only alternative then is to break the cycle of violence by negotiating. There are ways to do this without losing political face.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/focus/article1682338.ece?

Tony Blair: We are in denial about Islam

If we dismiss jihadists as a cult of crazies, we will never get to grips with the ideology responsible for terrorist attacks

Tony Blair Published: 27 March 2016

Attacks such as those in Brussels are intended to destabilise our political and social cohesion.

We are at war with Islamist extremism. We need a different rhythm of thought in respect of it; preparing for a conflict that is longer than anything we have seen in modern times.

The attacks in Belgium were shocking. Unfortunately the attacks are going to keep coming. If you have no compunction about killing wholly innocent civilians and are prepared to die in the act of doing so, societies like ours offer vast possibilities of vulnerability.

My foundation’s Centre on Religion and Geopolitics tracks extremism across the world daily. This threat is global. We require a fundamental change of strategy if we are to defeat it.

Otherwise, we will have periodic but increasingly frequent acts of terrorism that will result in many more victims and start to destabilise our political and social cohesion. Eventually the terrorists will commit an act of such size and horror that we will change our posture; but by then the battle will be much harder to win without measures that contradict our basic value system.

The threat is not simply the acts of violence; but the ideology of extremism that gives rise to them. Confront only the violence and fail to confront the ideology and we fail.

There has been a very deliberate decision to describe the challenge as “countering violent extremism”.

The risk is we leave the roots untouched. It is easier to look upon this problem as if the violence were cultish in nature, the provenance of tens of thousands of brainwashed crazies who person by person we have to arrest or “deradicalise”.

Regarding it instead as a much broader problem of ideology leads us into uncomfortable terrain because here, the challenge is not measured in thousands but in millions.

However, until we analyse correctly the nature of the threat, we have no hope of countering it successfully.

Islam as practised and understood by a majority of the world’s Muslims is an honourable and peaceful faith. It has contributed greatly to human development. This is absolutely necessary and right to say. We are talking here about a perversion of faith, not true faith.

But we need to end the denial about what is happening and has happened over a significant period of time within Islam.

Over the past half-century or more there has developed a narrative within Islam about the religion, its place in the world, its purposes and its proper relationship to politics and society, which has intensified its religiosity, changed the character of its interaction with those of different faiths, and is fundamentally incompatible with the modern world.

It is this “Islamism” which begets Islamist extremism which begets the acts of violence.

The reality is that the adherents of this view of Islam are numbered in many millions, have, in some countries, elements of official support, and are systematically teaching it to millions of young people across the world.

The factors that explain this are varied. These include the forming of the Muslim Brotherhood, the flight of many of its members from Egypt in the 1950s and their welcome in other Arab states where they found employment in their education systems; the Iranian revolution and the storming of Mecca in 1979; the export of Salafist-type doctrine (funded by oil wealth) to Africa and Asia, including Pakistan; and a genuine sense of injustice over the Palestinian issue that can then be exploited. In turn this ideology has come to parts of the Muslim community in Europe.

Add to this the immaturity of some political systems, and the population explosion that has seen countries double their size in the past 25 years so that in places 70% of the world’s Muslim population is under the age of 30 and you have the toxic mixture of bad politics, frustrated youth and close-minded views of religion.

The so-called Arab Spring came out of all this, where “liberals” and “Islamists” combined to topple tired and unrepresentative regimes, but then completely disagreed about what comes next.

What all this means, is we face not simply a fringe of fanatics but a much wider spectrum of Islamism that has at its furthest end Isis, Boko Haram, al-Qaeda. But even in its more moderate and non-violent form it has a way of thinking that is still inconsistent with the pluralist and open-minded view of the world that defines the only way it can work peacefully in the 21st century.

This ideology is not interested in coexistence. It does not seek dialogue but dominance. It cannot therefore be contained. It has to be defeated.

This requires not small incremental decisions designed to respond to the moment, but big all-encompassing decisions for a generation.

We must escape from the paralysing grip of the present political discourse stuck between a right wing that is now tipping into bigotry against Muslims as a whole and a left that thinks that calling it “Islamism” is stigmatic and prefers to believe that in any event we have caused all of this through western policy although the countries now affected cover the gamut of policy positions from the most interventionist to the expressly pacific. This discourse disables the alliance we need within Islam.

Here is the good news in all the gloom. Such an alliance is today available. Many Muslims are speaking out and as they do, others gain confidence and follow; because the majority of Muslims hate the way their faith has been hijacked. And never forget the majority of terrorist victims are Muslim

There are two parts to any new strategy — one immediate, the other longer term. I can only summarise here.

Immediately we need to improve the intelligence co-operation between the key agencies across Europe, and elsewhere, removing all obstacles of bureaucracy and, in some cases, normal legal process to do so. We’re fighting this battle at present with one arm tied behind our back.

Second, we need to recognise that the anxiety our citizens have about refugees is as much about security as it is about immigration per se. Unless we have a system of processing adequately those coming into our countries, then we have to keep them either in the region or in the countries where they are arriving but with provision that recognises the tragedy of their situation and treats them with humanity and compassion. Uncontrolled flows of people across Europe constitute an unacceptable security risk.

Third, we are making progress in the fight against Isis but it has to be eliminated with greater speed and vigour. This “caliphate” is itself a source of recruitment. We can use local allies in the fight, but they need equipment and where they need active, on-the-ground, military support from us, we should give it. The Americans are doing this now — at least to a degree and with effect. But to have allowed Isis to become the largest militia in Libya right on Europe’s doorstep is extraordinary. It has to be crushed.

The conflicts and genuine political grievances that have allowed these groups to flourish have to be addressed: notably in Syria, where we have permitted Assad to survive but who cannot be the future of a nation he has brutalised; in Iraq, where in 2010 the country voted for a non-sectarian government and when al-Qaeda had been beaten down only to re-emerge in the wake of sectarian leadership and the chaos in Syria, the Sunni minority have to have their rights guaranteed and enforced; and of course including Libya and Yemen.

We have to realise who are our allies and stand with them. This is not easy because in the complexity of Middle East politics our allies are doing things with which we may profoundly disagree. We can state those disagreements. We can urge and support reform. But the Arab nations of the region have to know we are with them in the fight against extremism. Saudi Arabia is our ally. Egypt is our ally.

Israel also is our ally. The Palestinian issue remains of huge importance and it should be our priority to find a way to the only solution that works — a viable Palestinian state next to a secure state of Israel. But Israel’s security is our security.

Longer term, we need the following:

First, we must build military capability able to confront and defeat the terrorists wherever they try to hold territory. This is not just about local forces. It is a challenge for the West. Ground forces are necessary to win this fight and ours are the most capable. But the pain of the casualties in such engagements weighs heavy. Western armed forces are mainly volunteers. We need an open and frank discussion with them about how to create the conditions to go and conduct these campaigns. There will have to be new methods of coalition building and co-operation between nations.

Second, education today is a security issue. My foundation is proposing a global commitment on education — a global agreement between nations, similar to that on the environment to combat climate change — where countries accept that it is part of their common responsibility to promote religious and cultural tolerance and root out prejudice from their education systems, formal and informal, and the curriculum taught in them. We need a system of evaluation and implementation of necessary reforms. But this has to become a no-holds-barred agenda item at the top table of global relationships.

Third, we need to boost the capacity of civic society to counter extremism. This involves many dimensions from the encouragement of correct interpretations of scripture to the proliferation of internet material that counters the extremist narrative to the building of inter-faith understanding. But it needs to be organised.

Fourth, aid and development policy should focus on institution and capacity building, making countries resilient and open to progress. Invest now in the poorest parts of the world where it is obvious that religion can be abused as a political tool and the future is more secure, theirs and ours.

Fifth, the role of women and the position of girls should have special recognition, as victims of this ideology, but hugely powerful in the fight against it.

So this strategy has to be comprehensive and geared to a struggle similar to that we faced in defeating revolutionary communism or fascism. It should lead to a new foreign policy synthesis that learns properly the lessons not just of the Bush presidency but of the Obama one too, the successes and mistakes of both. For Europe it should lead to levels of co-operation, military and civilian, that mean we are not utterly dependent on America for our security. For the UK and for a Cameron premiership, if liberated from Britain’s internal European debate, it could mean the leadership of this task in Europe where Britain’s strengths and the PM’s own instincts are uniquely suited to it.

The centre, left and right, has to rediscover its muscularity. We have to provide an answer; otherwise demagogues will ride the anger. We have been there before. It is a part of our history we should not repeat.

That's rich coming from Bliar.  He's responsible for bringing all and sundry to the UK just so they'd (hopefully) vote Labour in the elections.

Back