• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Issued Kit SMELLS

If the groundsheet is going to be stored away for a while, try baking soda and moth balls.  Make sure that it is clean and dry, sprinkle the baking soda (and a couple of moth balls) on the sheet and fold in - repeat for each fold.  Of course you have to remember that you have treated the groundsheet in this manner the next time you take it out for use - and get rid of the b-soda and m-balls before packing it up in your kit.

I think it's one of the extras that they hand out at clothing stores to the ill-behaved: half a day of eating and then inducing yourself to vomit on the ground sheets before they're issued out.  ;D

Is Vern around to confirm?

I have to say that I have always wondered about that particular army surplus store smell.
Now I know that is not unique to the surplus stores.

Just remember AJ, its an international 'army stuff' smell.

Another universal smell, the ole Gun, 84mm, A/Tk (Carl G  or Charlie Gutsache as its known by here). They smell the same here in Australia as they did in Canada.

Cheers,

Wes

There's a laundry soap out there that hunters use to "de-scent" their clothes that you can buy online or at a sportsman shop that I have used before.Works pretty good and has the added benefit of "re fluffing" all of your fleece clothing as well. Also there is a spray out there called White lightning,that also has a scent nullifying effect.

Vinegar? white lightning? I'll check those out, but it wouldn't ruin the material would it?

Here's a link for the laundry soap I mentioned. I've used it a couple of times and it has worked well for me.

http://www.atsko.com/products/laundry-care/sport-wash-residue-free-detergent.html

The smell is supposed to be there.  If you do manage to get rid of the smell you get rid of the water proofing too.  Trust me, when you get on your BMQ with the rest of your pals you will notice their stuff all stinks too.

Does it smell ???...
Guess I got used to it over the years.

ltmaverick25 said:
The smell is supposed to be there.  If you do manage to get rid of the smell you get rid of the water proofing too.  Trust me, when you get on your BMQ with the rest of your pals you will notice their stuff all stinks too.

If you air it out properly the smell disappears and no way is the waterproofing compromised.

geo said:
Does it smell ???...
Guess I got used to it over the years.

Actually, 15 years ago when I got my first set of kit, I didnt notice any smell at all, but I also didnt notice any effectiveness at staying dry either  :p

When I took the JNCO back in well, too long ago, my section commander told me to exchange my ground sheet, bivy bag and something else (cant remember now) after taking one look at it on inspection.  The stuff I got stunk, but I was dry!  I stopped noticing the smell too, until I was promptly reminded of it by my roomates at the time.

NFLD Sapper said:
If you air it out properly the smell disappears and no way is the waterproofing compromised.

I must have aired it out improperly then  ;D

That smell is mildew, and it's because kit is put away damp, then sealed up in a kitbag/rucksack/valise with a garbage bag to keep moisture, and air, either out, or trapped inside.  Wash EVERYTHING, kit bag/ruck bag/valise included.  Dry it thoroughly.  Lightly talc any rubberized kit.  Put dryer sheets in the bottom of all the bags.  Air out rubberized kit as often as possible in the field.  If the FCS guys or sigs techy guys have some laying about, those large silica desiccant packets in the kitbag are a godsend too.

Brihard said:
I think it's one of the extras that they hand out at clothing stores to the ill-behaved: half a day of eating and then inducing yourself to vomit on the ground sheets before they're issued out.  ;D

Is Vern around to confirm?

We get them in from the Depot sometimes ... brand new and smelling of vomit. It's especially nice during the long weekends in the summer when it's nice and hot - come into work and unlock the first working day back ... to be overwhelmed by a three-day buildup of vomit-smelling-permeated-air and have your stomach churn instantly.

Just one more reason why policy dictates that stuff coming back has to be thoroughly cleaned and dried out.

ArmyVern said:
We get them in from the Depot sometimes ... brand new and smelling of vomit. It's especially nice during the long weekends in the summer when it's nice and hot - come into work and unlock the first working day back ... to be overwhelmed by a three-day buildup of vomit-smelling-permeated-air and have your stomach churn instantly.

Just one more reason why policy dictates that stuff coming back has to be thoroughly cleaned and dried out.

I feel for you guys at clothing stores, Vern.

Ah the smell of the army!My ground sheet is airing out in the garage after I pulled it out after the sandbox eww.time to exchange had it for 13 yrs now.

Oh boy, I wish I had consulted these forums prior to washing it. Well, after the date with the washing machine, I threw it outside to air out, for about a week. I brought it back in and the water proofing material crumpled and peeled off... I'm not sure if the frigid and stormy weather that destroyed it or just the first wash. But it's totalled...

TDV_Valor said:
Oh boy, I wish I had consulted these forums prior to washing it. Well, after the date with the washing machine, I threw it outside to air out, for about a week. I brought it back in and the water proofing material crumpled and peeled off... I'm not sure if the frigid and stormy weather that destroyed it or just the first wash. But it's totalled...

Get it exchanged and for heaven's sakes don't throw it into a washer!

TDV_Valor said:

Take it for exchange and put up with the smell (of your new one) like everyone else.

Back