• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jeffrey Deslisle-former RCN, convicted of spying

Poor baby.    :sarcasm:

‘So dead inside’: How the Mounties cracked Jeffrey Delisle Add to ...
COLIN FREEZE and JANE TABER

The Globe and Mail

Published Monday, Oct. 22 2012, 9:35 PM EDT
Last updated Tuesday, Oct. 23 2012, 10:45 AM EDT

It took more than an hour of patient questioning before RCMP Sergeant Jimmy Moffat tipped his hand.  “Jeff, we have you. Okay? You’re caught. You’re so caught,” the police interrogator said, showing printouts of e-mails to Russian spies.  It was around 9 p.m. on Jan. 13, in the police interview room. Just a few hours after the arrest.

For almost five years, Sub-Lieutenant Jeffrey Delisle had lived a double life. But he broke down and confessed in no time, according to a 63-page interrogation transcript obtained by The Globe and Mail.  “Jim. I’ve been so dead. So dead inside,” he said, before sobbing. “It wasn’t for the money.”

SLt. Delisle recalled the moment he betrayed his country. “I walked right into the Russian embassy and said, ‘Here I am. …’ ”  It was 2007. He didn’t specify the date beyond that it was “the day my wife cheated.”  The 41-year-old divorced father of four admitted that he had spied. And that he done it for the most banal of reasons.  He had a broken heart.

The naval officer’s hemorrhaging of state secrets has caused “astronomical” damage to national security, federal officials have said. On Monday in the House of Commons, interim Liberal leader Bob Rae pressed for a judicial inquiry into the Delisle debacle. The Conservative government is playing down the problem.

Earlier this month, SLt. Delisle pleaded guilty to espionage-related charges. A sentencing hearing is scheduled for January.  The naval intelligence officer had never been a riser in the Canadian Forces. In fact, his 16-year career never really got off the ground.  “I can’t deploy because I’m diabetic,’ he told police. “I never sailed.”

But he was put into a virtual crow’s nest from which he could see very far: the Trinity naval intelligence centre inside CFB Halifax. Trinity bursts with state secrets collected from all corners of the Earth. Secrets that are lent in confidence to Canada by its allies.

Trinity is exactly where an aggressive, non-allied spy service such as Russia’s GRU would want to be. And, through a proxy, it was.

No one noticed SLt. Delisle scouring intelligence databases for references to Russia. No one noticed him cutting and pasting text into files. No one cared that his secure computer had – against most military protocols – a floppy disk drive.  Sgt. Moffat asked the suspect how he moved data out of a secure facility.  “Disk – floppy,” SLt. Delisle replied.  “Floppy disk?”  “Yeah – I know,” he said, adding that his computer was “ancient.”

After SLt. Delisle downloaded material onto a disk, he used a second computer to transfer the data to a USB memory stick, which he pocketed before leaving. At home, he plugged the stick into his laptop to send files to the GRU. (And, after the stick was wiped clean, he said it usually ended up in his son’s Xbox.)

The Mounties were tipped to Sgt. Delisle’s treachery by intelligence partners in December, 2011. Once looped in, detectives rushed to get warrants to spy on the spy.  The surveillance meant there was zero chance SLt. Delisle could lie his way out of trouble. Police had seen his every keystroke. “You type, ‘I love you,’ I see, ‘I love you,’ ” Sgt. Moffat made a point of saying during the interview. “You erase, ‘I love you,’ – I still see, ‘I love you.’ ”

“Love” was used hypothetically. But, as it turned out, love was the key to cracking the psyche of SLt. Delisle, who had tried to be cagey for as long as he could in the interrogation.  Police knew he was not paid a princely sum for the secrets. Money transfers showed he got only $3,000 a month. And while the GRU had issued veiled threats to keep SLt. Delisle working, that wouldn’t explain why he had turned in the first place.

Sgt. Moffat applied a classic interrogation technique, probing to see if a bruised ego could have been the trigger.  “Something went wrong Jeff. You went through a lot of pain,” Sgt. Moffat said.  “A lot of pain,” he replied.  The word “pain” triggered memories of his wife cheating. The intelligence officer confided to Sgt. Moffat that the infidelity had made him suicidal.

“I wanted to die, but I can’t leave my children,” SLt. Delisle said. So he settled on the next best thing.  “I committed professional suicide. That’s what I did.”  And that was why, he said, on a day in 2007, he put on his civilian clothes, went to Charlotte Street in Ottawa, and entered the Russian embassy to offer his services.  “I was devastated,” he said. “Crushed to no end.”

Somehow, in the muddled mind of the mole, his indiscretions were the lesser betrayal. Yet, he knew full well the global consequences.  “This is going to blow up like a powder keg,” SLt. Delisle said as the RCMP interview wrapped up.

More Related to this Story
espionage The Delisle case an intelligence breach Ottawa would rather just forget

Russian ambassador dismisses importance of confessed Canadian spy

MILITARY SCANDAL Bankruptcy kept Delisle’s spy activity a secret from ex-wife

How Canadian spy Jeffrey Delisle betrayed his country for cash

HISTORY An echo of espionage from more than 20 years ago

NATIONAL SECURITY Naval intelligence officer sold military secrets to Russia for $3,000 a month

Confessed spy Jeffrey Delisle will keep rank and pay, for now

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/so-dead-inside-how-the-mounties-cracked-jeffrey-delisle/article4630144/

The article just reaffirms where "sympathy" lies in the dictionary.  ::)

“I wanted to die, but I can’t leave my children,” SLt. Delisle said. So he settled on the next best thing.  “I committed professional suicide. That’s what I did.”

I wonder if assholes who do this kinda stuff realize the fall out that happens to their families and especially kids.

What a legacy to leave his kids. Getting bullied in school, called traitor, harassed.

I hope his kids don't kill themselves because of it.

ObedientiaZelum said:
I wonder if assholes who do this kinda stuff realize the fall out that happens to their families and especially kids.

What a legacy to leave his kids. Getting bullied in school, called traitor, harassed.

I hope his kids don't kill themselves because of it.

:goodpost:

Hopefully the family will take steps to minimize the effects of the travesty that has been unleashed upon them. Legal name change, relocation, and therapy for starters.

Suicide is a selfish act in and of itself, but somehow this goes beyond. Wouldn't seeking help or psychological treatment have been a better option? Fear of risking your security clearance and career by seeking help seems to be a little ironic, don't you think?

When my wife cheated on me, betraying my country and fellow soldiers wasn't even on the radar.  In fact it was the opposite.  I found support through shared experience, humour, comeraderie and support amongst my peers.  The kind of support I couldn't find anywhere else.  He could have had that as well but scum does not get alomg with most things.

While i can empathise with his experience, I cannot sympathise with his actions or his current situation.  His excuses are weak and frankly stupid.  He had so many options yet chose to do what he did.  Besides, he's using that as an excuse but I truly doubt that is what drove him to do what he did.  He's scum and that is what scum does.

Canada's most active spy might have been caught almost a year sooner if the military and CSIS had followed their own mandatory security check rules, documents obtained by CBC News show.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/11/29/spy-delisle-warrants.html

CBC witch hunt, anyone?

If you had researched in open source, the damage assessment by all security agencies like the RCMP, CSIS, CSE was categorized to be GRAVE. They include CF codes and cipher keys. Which means that the Russians were reading our minds. Well, hopefully CF learned a lesson. My file application for Intelligence Analyst has been sitting for 5 years and I have security clearance. Any speculations from people out there?

Especially considering if they saw the government was putting more money into personnel to conduct the security clearance checks faster, they'd be up in arms about wasting money.

Crantor said:
When my wife cheated on me, betraying my country and fellow soldiers wasn't even on the radar.  In fact it was the opposite.  I found support through shared experience, humour, comeraderie and support amongst my peers.  The kind of support I couldn't find anywhere else.  He could have had that as well but scum does not get alomg with most things.

While i can empathise with his experience, I cannot sympathise with his actions or his current situation.  His excuses are weak and frankly stupid.  He had so many options yet chose to do what he did.  Besides, he's using that as an excuse but I truly doubt that is what drove him to do what he did.  He's scum and that is what scum does.

Putting the law on one's hands is the work of the mob whom communist and terrorist leaders encourage to do violent acts. I admire the way you were able to control yourself. Philippine laws used to allow the murder of man with whom a wife cheats in flagrante delicto which means "caught in the act". Alienating somebody's spouse can be grounds for torts and damages lawsuit which according to the latest Supreme Court reports awarded  at least 200 thousand dollars to the victim. I am not fomenting you to do this. But to show how sensible and logical I am, so many ladies invite me to cheat on their husbands. I don't bite..I cannot afford 200 thousand dollars.

busconductor said:
........ My file application for Intelligence Analyst has been sitting for 5 years and I have security clearance.

I'll bite.

Out of curiousity, what Clearance do you hold and with whom?

busconductor said:
.... the Russians were reading our minds.
Well that should give Yuri and Ivan a whole shit-load of WTF-moments!  :nod:

busconductor said:
Any speculations from people out there?
I normally wouldn't offer conjecture, but since you requested speculation.....

I believe that you're massively delusional, spend a lot of time surfing conspiracy websites, live with your mother, and have at least two windows covered with tinfoil.

But again, that's merely speculation.  :dunno:

It does clear up  somewhat some of the discrepancies I noted earlier with the timeline, and how some it may have been missed.

doubts concur,

contact me immediately for work in remote north.

you can call mum from there

nanu nanu

busconductor said:
My file application for Intelligence Analyst has been sitting for 5 years and I have security clearance. Any speculations from people out there?

Speculation is that no...the Russians will not hire you yet.

Mr. Bristow brags about his credentials. I don't. Even if my reputation is at stake. Delisle who is one of yours, is on the witness stand. Not I.  Yes, I f***dled a Russian but does that implicate me? Due process, journeymen..:salute:

Quote from: busconductor on Today at 10:14:47

........ My file application for Intelligence Analyst has been sitting for 5 years and I have security clearance.

minor comparison, but it only took 3 months for my level 2

oh, a WTF moment....what if that only clears me for being a busconductor? anyone....bueller?

I would not argue my case with you. You are high ranking officers in the Canadian Army and all I want is to be in the reserves. I also hope I pass medical and the interview. I don't even wanted to be Intelligence Analyst. I just want to know if what I did in my workplace works too in Canadian Forces: putting a Russian spy as Manager of Human Resources. :salute:

Back