• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

join reserves or go to whitehorse ??? HELP!!!!!!!

Jonny Boy

Inactive
Reaction score
OK here is the problem. i just went to my regiments recruiting office to get an application to join. this will be my last year in cadets and i am still able to go to one more summer.

the thing is i am supposed to go to whitehorse for staff this summer. it would be my first year as staff and my first time going to any of the territories.

the reserves is offering me a chance to go on the summer basic training and when i do that i can parade with the regiment right when i get back.  the only other option is to take a 14 weekend course that will go from OCT- JUNE.

i don't want to spend all that time doing basic training and than be able to parade with the regiment in OCT of 06 i want to do the summer course and be able to join the Regiment right away. i also really want to go to whitehorse and see what it is like. i don't know what i will do so what do you guys think i should do?

master cadet does not mater to me so it is not like i would be upset not doing staff. i would be really upset to miss a free trip  to whitehorse.

help please :-\ :cdn: :salute:

Look at it this way - the Regiment will always be there when you get back from Whitehorse and all you'll be is a little behind your self-imposed schedule.  If you go to BMQ this summer, Whitehorse will not be there waiting for afterwards - the chance to go there as staff will be gone foreever.

ok but if i do the BMQ on the weekends will i still be able to go on exersices with the unit and will i be issued the uniforms and the works?

Until you've done your SQ, you won't be able to go out in the field - period.  If the summer offering of BMQ isn't followed immediately by the SQ, your time between summer 05 and summer 06 is going to be long and boring at the Armoury.  At least doing the BMQ on weekends between Oct-Jun, you'll be putting in some good training time instead of pushing a broom across the parade square - and you'll be able to do SQ and DP1 Armd crmn one after the other in summer 06 - after which you can be used in a troop as driver or in the echelon.  Everyone starting BMQ gets the basic issue of combats & gear

would that be the OD's or the CADPAT? and would you get the dress uniform or not?

I'd be surprised if anyone got the ODs issued anymore.  You'll not get DEUs issued until you've had at least a year in.

Well If i can throw in my 2 cents of input
I was in army cadets
I joined the MO as soon as i turned 16, and sure I have had a hell of a good time
but looking back at cadets and talking too my friends who are doing staff and who have been doing staff since i left cadets
If there is one thing i regret its never doing staff
Go do staff if you have the opportunity
cause it could be your last fun summer for a while

and when you get in you are issued all your basic kit cadpat (everything you need to do basic training)

sixzeroalpha said:
and when you get in you are issued all your basic kit cadpat (everything you need to do basic training)
Depending on where you are, The BCD's you have to be in for about a year  to get Cadpat, until then, your issued the old OD's.

He's in the QY Rangs, that's in Ontario. I haven't seen anyone in the OD's for awhile. Even the guys that went to basic last summer got CADPAT.

Hokay, so I'm only in air cadets, and I've only been parading with the unit (and by parading, i mean waiting in a room until i have to do PT) for about a month, but I love it. It really depends on where you want to be. Chances are, if you're staff, you'll be up there and in charge, giving orders, making things happen. But on BMQ, you're back at the bottom. I was in the same situation as you, but I chose military cause i plan to go to police foundations in september, and it will prepare me a lot better then any air cadet course could. But remember, this is your last year with cadets!  Do what you will with it, and good luck!

4SYTH

Sig Bloggins said:
He's in the QY Rangs, that's in Ontario. I haven't seen anyone in the OD's for awhile. Even the guys that went to basic last summer got CADPAT.

True. The QY Rang had the '1 year in' rule implemented, but thats gone out the window. Every new recruit is getting issued his CADPAT. I wouldnt be surprised if he got his Gortex during his BMQ or SQ either.

hutch, ever consider the coop program? The Regiments gotten the course up and running now. Speak to your schools coop teachers about getting a placement on the course.  You wont get on this year's course, but you could get on next feb. BMQ/SQ course if you get on the ball. get your summer Cadet staff kicks, and then pick up your BMQ/SQ in Feb.

Would you be parading out of Aurora or Toronto?

Do staff, as someone said earlier.. The regiment will be there when you get back.  Don't worry about the uniform they give you.  See the country, make some coin and gain the leadership experience.  I also think there might be some kind of bonus or something if you do staff.  I seem to remember hearing something to do with six months and rank eligibility? 

Does anyone know anything more detailed?

i would be parading out of toronto.  i tryed to get in the co-op program last year. they said only the york region had it running. plus this is my last year of highschool now and i was looking farwad to joining the regiment.

I guess it was a wrong place at the wrong time sort of deal :D

Just go to Whitehorse, then come back and join up. (as everyone else has already said)

ya i think i wiil go to white horse. you guys are right the regiment will always be there when i come back. i have heard some very niuce things about whitehorse so i am really exited. 

You need to be either silver star qualified, or have passed a CLI course

GGHG_Cadet said:
You could go training support staff as long as you have gold star and CL.

You need to be either Silver Star qualified, or pass a CLI Course and meet the age requirement for Staff and you will get the rank of Mcpl, all other ranks require NSCE.

Note: You can get Sgt without NSCE, but only under special circumstances (getting promoted to an instucting position (i only know 2 staff last year that were lucky)

I don't know about that one Papke. At Blackdown I know for sure that at least one WO had only CL and Gold Star. Nobody started out under Sgt. but basically CL and Gold Star are usually trg support at Blackdown.

Back