• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining CSOR early

oh OK I thought they were running 2 courses a year, thanks for the enlightenment. then that's what I will do then, but December damn that's going to be cold LOL. How long is ISAP, do you know?????

Havn't heard too much on ISAP, and the recruiter in pet didnt mention how long it was.

CANFORGEN 051/08 SOFCOM 006 281636Z FEB 08
SUCCESSFUL CAT 1 APPLICANTS WILL BE REQUIRED TO ATTEND ONE OF TWO ISAP SERIALS BEING HELD IN MAY 08 OR NOV 08 (DATES TBC). PHYSICAL FITNESS TESTING WILL OCCUR AT THE BEGINNING OF ISAP TO CONFIRM APPLICANTS CONT TO MEET THE FITNESS STANDARD. PERS WHO FAIL THE FITNESS TESTING MAY BE RETURNED TO THEIR HOME UNITS. FOL SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF ISAP, APPLICANTS WILL BE ATTACHED POSTED TO CSOR FOR THE DURATION OF THE SPEC OP BASIC QUAL (SOBQ) CRSE (DATES TBC)

ProPatria031 said:
oh OK I thought they were running 2 courses a year, thanks for the enlightenment. then that's what I will do then, but December damn that's going to be cold LOL. How long is ISAP, do you know?????

The ISAP ran last November was approx 3 weeks.  It's a selection thats not a selection.  It is designed to give potential operators from non-combat arms, non-army trades a chance to bring themselves up to a certain level of performance before they are deemed "unfit" to continue onto the course.  What I mean is that a Navy cook who wants to go CSOR probably hasn't seen a C7 since basic, let alone operate as an infantryman with one.  ISAP will teach people like those the necessary skills to demonstrate whether they have the ability to perform as an operator or not.  It also gives those with prior knowledge a chance to demonstrate teamwork and leadership skills as they are expected to help those individuals lacking.  This way everyone gets a fair shake.  ISAP stands for Individual Skills Assessment Phase... "selection" was already taken.  ;)

Oh OK so it's pretty much a crash course on how to be a soldier then, and would be more or less a refresher for me. what happens after you pass the ISAP, would I go back to my unit till the next SOBQ course come around???

http://www.csor.forces.gc.ca/en/canforgen05108_e.asp
FOL SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF ISAP, APPLICANTS WILL BE ATTACHED POSTED TO CSOR FOR THE DURATION OF THE SPEC OP BASIC QUAL (SOBQ) CRSE (DATES TBC)

ProPatria031 said:
Oh OK so it's pretty much a crash course on how to be a soldier then, and would be more or less a refresher for me.

I realize that after BattleSchool and being posted to Battalion, it may be hard for you to look at the ISAP as anything but a refresher to you, without having done it. But I would suggest you modify that point of view somewhat.

Like any course, with the experience of the staff you'll have, look at it as the test it is, and the learning experience it will be for you. And not just from the staff, but your non-combat arms and non-army coursemates as well.

If you have a "ya, ya, I've done this before, I know what I'm doing" attitude, you'll be in for a harder time.

There's a reason it's a selection an assessment.

Including phobia week ISAP is 4 weeks. You will be tested on all the skills of a basic infantry soldier as well as things you will not have seen before. He you are good at weapons them you will be expected to help those who are not. It is a selection not a refresher. I have heard of Pathfinders and Rangers who were not selected to do the SOBQ.

RCR Grunt said:
It's all in who you know ... get to the unit at the right time, do the right things, meet the right people and you can really go places.  I know young privates that were snipers in the sniper cell with less than a year in battalion.  It is feasible that a young go getter posted to the third could get his recce and para course before the 2 year mark, and these are precisely the kind of people CSOR wants to steal recruit from the line units.  Motivated, professional, disciplined soldiers.
Being "Motivated, professional, disciplined" and "knowing" thr right people doesn't seem to have stood for much from what I've seen.  I had 3 guys that came in with me who went on the CSOR ISAP after a few months in battalion.  All they had to do was put in a memo basically.  All came back, 1 injured, 1 phobia test failure, and the other withdrew.

In my short time here, I've seen brand new guys get sent on the recce course simply for raising their hand when a NCO comes down and says "Who wants to go on a recce course".

And as for selection of those put on OMLT, POMLT, and 10%?  Names pulled from a hat. Merit has NOTHING to do with much unfortunately from my perspective.

I may sound bitter, but I'm still confident hard work and dedication will pay off eventually.

From what I've seen, they are quite willing to waive the 2 year requirement.

Also, from what I've been hearing, they are not happy with the CoC denying soldier's memos and will be expecting the units to be coughing up more troops to them soon.

St. Micheals Medical Team said:
Dirty Dog,
What are you trying to say?
I have an unclassified memo here somewhere that more or less spells out CSOR wants it's feeder units to be more willing to give up troops or something or other.  I'll try and find it.

And as far as them waiving the 2 year requirment for just anyone (as was the case with the guys I got to battalion with) I heard that's not on anymore.  I'm presumming that has something to do with a failure rate among those they waived it for, but I don't really know.

Seen.

I have heard the 2 years service thing is back in place now after the VAST majority of young troops did not make it past the last ISAP.

I would also assume from what I heard that there are probably select individuals who are 19-22 years old that are mature enough and good enough to make it through SOBQ.

I realize that this is a dead topic, and I'm sorry for brining it "back to life" but I was wondering; do they still run ISAP's and SOBQ's or do they have sufficient numbers?

They run AP every year, as well as SFC(formally known as SOBQ)

If you are interested in becoming a Operator, call/email their recruiting cell and put in a application.

Curious cause its the weekend, and their recruiters won't be answering any email/phone calls, but does anyone here know if there are any real hard reasons why or if your CofC can sh*t can your application. 

Hatchet Man said:
Curious cause its the weekend, and their recruiters won't be answering any email/phone calls, but does anyone here know if there are any real hard reasons why or if your CofC can **** can your application.

Can they can your application? Absolutely.  Why?  For pretty much any reason they want.

I've seen guys applications get canned for reasons such as, they are pumps, they are not liked by the CoC, and more commonly....the application sits on a desk forever lost in purgatory.

RCDcpl said:
Can they can your application? Absolutely.  Why?  For pretty much any reason they want.

I've seen guys applications get canned for reasons such as, they are pumps, they are not liked by the CoC, and more commonly....the application sits on a desk forever lost in purgatory.

Before you start filling out your application you submit your "Intent to Apply" from the CSOR website. This allows CSOR's recruiters to track who's in the process of applying. If your application is being held up for some non-valid reason (IE.. just sitting on a desk) they should be able to help. So as always call the recruiters..

Hatchet Man said:
Curious cause its the weekend, and their recruiters won't be answering any email/phone calls, but does anyone here know if there are any real hard reasons why or if your CofC can sh*t can your application.

CoC can loose your application a month before your selection date.
Oops - OC had it crammed in the back of his desk with a shit ton of other missing memos.

A year later the BPSO can have a break down or something and drop all his case files for a few months- 2 months before your selection causing you to miss your second selection date.

The CoC can stop applications if you're undergoing disciplinary/administrative issues.
If the CoC doesn't like you they can try and stop your application but then your bad performance needs to be documented in your PDRs or on paper somewhere to substantiate their claims otherwise you're in a good position to redress it.

Unless you see it in a canforgen (ie JTF2 no longer accepting reservists) then don't believe rumors such as CSOR is full and they're not running SOBQs anymore.

Back