• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining, Leaving, then Reapplying

JFM

Inactive
Reaction score
Now the title of this thread probably sounds silly, so let me elaborate.

I'm interested in joining the Reserves during my courses in CEGEP to have an income while also "testing out" the military way of life. After two years in the Reserves, I plan on leaving to focus on getting a university degree and possibly being accepted into ROTP. If ROTP doesn't work out and I end up finishing my degree, I would reapply to the military as an officer.

Is my plan possible (does it make sense)? Would my chances of getting into ROTP be tarnished if I leave the Reserves after only 2 years? What would you recommend to a youngster to increase his/her chances of becoming an officer?

Thanks

Why not just stay in as a Reservist during Univ? I did. I have a degree in Criminal Justice (Honours) with a minor in Social Work. I'm now taking courses for a future of Master of Technology in Forensic Science, all the while a Alberta Sheriff and a Reservist.

PrairieThunder said:
Why not just stay in as a Reservist during Univ? I did. I have a degree in Criminal Justice (Honours) with a minor in Social Work. I'm now taking courses for a future of Master of Technology in Forensic Science, all the while a Alberta Sheriff and a Reservist.

Well, in uni I'm probably going to go into engineering which is pretty rigorous. I definitely would not want to be going on weekend long training missions or worse, volunteering for a tour while being in a high intensity class.

JFM said:
I definitely would not want to be going on weekend long training missions

*Training exercises,  they aren't every weekend, etc  If you are unable to attend a exercise, explain why(an example would be exams) to your Chain of Command and should be fine.  Don't don't skip every exercise, as they will not go over well.

JFM said:
or worse, volunteering for a tour while being in a high intensity class.
If a new mission comes up during your time in school... here's a simple solution.  Don't volunteer to go unless you are willing to take a year + away from school. 

Lots of Reservists are university students, and they have been able to be both successful at school and the CF.

Oh, and don't expect to be issued a C8  :p

JFM said:
I'm interested in joining the Reserves during my courses in CEGEP to have an income while also "testing out" the military way of life. After two years in the Reserves, I plan on leaving to focus on getting a university degree and possibly being accepted into ROTP. If ROTP doesn't work out and I end up finishing my degree, I would reapply to the military as an officer.

If you don't think you can handle working 1 night a week and a weekend or 2 a month during schooling, I would suggest you seriously reconsider being an officer, let alone a member of the CF. There are plenty of people who have been able to juggle far more difficult degrees or double majors and still continue to work in the CF as a reservist.

Service life isn't too rigorous you will have plenty of time for both schooling and the reserves. I don't think your record would be tarnished with previous service. Unless you do something stupid. As puck chaser implied officers do have longer hours, they do have some perks. I don't see grounds for not being a member of the cf!?

Puckchaser- he doesn't know what service life is like. Civilians seem to have built it up into something it's not. How could he know what he can juggle if he doesn't know what too expect?

JFM the other up side to staying in reserves while going to school is that 1) they pay money towards yours schooling 2) they will employ you in the summer so there is no need to look for a job, 3) you can start on your officer training in the summer if you can get with a unit that will take you as an officer cadet.

Tank Troll said:
1) they pay money towards yours schooling

Don't I need to be in ROTP for that? On a side note, what should I be working on right now to increase my chances of being accepted into ROTP? Also, what are the advantages/disadvantages to going to RMC?

JFM said:
Don't I need to be in ROTP for that? On a side note, what should I be working on right now to increase my chances of being accepted into ROTP? Also, what are the advantages/disadvantages to going to RMC?

PRes members have an education reimbursement of $2000 a year/$8000 life max for tuition/books. Takes a good chunk of your tuition away, and with the money you make from working summers you can take a big bite out of student debt ahead of joining the workforce.

PuckChaser said:
PRes members have an education reimbursement of $2000 a year/$8000 life max for tuition/books. Takes a good chunk of your tuition away, and with the money you make from working summers you can take a big bite out of student debt ahead of joining the workforce.

Is this program still going to continue? From what I've heard and seen this program was getting the axe with budget cuts.

PuckChaser said:
PRes members have an education reimbursement of $2000 a year/$8000 life max for tuition/books.

And this is an automatic reimbursement (no application/no recommendation needed)?

JFM said:
And this is an automatic reimbursement (no application/no recommendation needed)?

NO.  You have to successfully complete the crses and then submit the paperwork annually for reimbursement.  Nothing is automatic. 

If you don't want military training to take place while in school then don't apply for ROTP.  Even if you don't list RMC high, excellent chance this is where they will accept you.  My son and hundreds of others are doing their engineering degree there with weekend and other requirements, and doing just fine.  As others have said if you don't or cannot time management yourself, perhaps the CF as an officer is not where you should look for a future career.

dcs said:
If you don't want military training to take place while in school then don't apply for ROTP.  Even if you don't list RMC high, excellent chance this is where they will accept you.  My son and hundreds of others are doing their engineering degree there with weekend and other requirements, and doing just fine.  As others have said if you don't or cannot time management yourself, perhaps the CF as an officer is not where you should look for a future career.

Does the RMC provide a respectable degree though? I plan on finding work once I leave the forces.

JFM said:
Does the RMC provide a respectable degree though? I plan on finding work once I leave the forces.

What do you mean by respectable degree? You'd be receiving an engineering degree no different than any other school, while being able to say you conquered a rigorous routine of training throughout and the beautiful cipher of "Royal Military College of Canada" on your fancy paper.

Employers tend to jump immediately to RMC grads as they are disciplined and know what it means to work hard.

How would it NOT be respectable? It's not like you're going to CDI or Devry or Red Green's Backwoods School of Engineering :p

If you plan to work for a few years before attending University, the reserves are great. Work experience outside of the military is always an asset.

Knowing what I know now, ROTP at a civilian university would've been my first choice. DEO was a good second choice. I didn't have any interest in attending RMC.

[Edit: How many times can I use the same adjective? Too many.]

PrairieThunder said:
What do you mean by respectable degree? You'd be receiving an engineering degree no different than any other school, while being able to say you conquered a rigorous routine of training throughout and the beautiful cipher of "Royal Military College of Canada" on your fancy paper.

Employers tend to jump immediately to RMC grads as they are disciplined and know what it means to work hard.

How would it NOT be respectable? It's not like you're going to CDI or Devry or Red Green's Backwoods School of Engineering :p

I'm looking at this as objectively as I can. It seems logical that employers look for disciplined employees, but you never know. Have you been employed/employed someone because of the name "Royal Military College of Canada" on that pretty piece of paper?

Back