• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining The Infantry

Is our infantry a bunch of “grunts”

  • Yes

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • No, we have an intelligent infantry

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Some are intelligent, most are not

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Most are intelligent, some are not

    Votes: 7 43.8%

  • Total voters
    16
  • Poll closed .

davidc538

New Member
Reaction score
0
Points
110
Journeyman said:
I suspect that the Recruiting Warrant Officer told you otherwise because he's not allowed to come right out and say, "we don't want a self-centred, illiterate whiner."

ftw!
 

kutchie

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
10
its funny because every argument in here is stating that I cant take NO as an answer or cant wrap my head around the fact that the recruiter said no there not hiring....go back and read my post...I asked WHEN they would be hiring and the recruiter shrugged his shoulders being just as confused as I am and said maybe next year i dont know....therefore as i said it was of no help to me at all and as a recruiter I would think he would have more knowledge of the recruiting side of things and when possible openings would be instead of shrugging and saying ahh i dont know....I couldve sat in that chair and told someone the same thing....thats what i'm getting at and thats why i came on here to seek help and possible info...seems like no one here has ever heard the term "give what you get" all i'm doing is giving the exact same respect and remarks i've been given since posting this...plain and simple higher rank or not none of you are the ones i'm having to be directed under or report to....so i'm giving back exactly what i got...once again thank you I wish all of you the best of luck,wealth and safety.....i'm just trying to capture the dream too and hopefully get some help along the way which obviously wont come from anyone here..(thank you sharkmansix)
 

Ciskman

Member
Reaction score
0
Points
160
kutchie said:
its funny because every argument in here is stating that I cant take NO as an answer or cant wrap my head around the fact that the recruiter said no there not hiring....go back and read my post...I asked WHEN they would be hiring and the recruiter shrugged his shoulders being just as confused as I am and said maybe next year i dont know....therefore as i said it was of no help to me at all and as a recruiter I would think he would have more knowledge of the recruiting side of things and when possible openings would be instead of shrugging and saying ahh i dont know....I couldve sat in that chair and told someone the same thing....thats what i'm getting at and thats why i came on here to seek help and possible info...seems like no one here has ever heard the term "give what you get" all i'm doing is giving the exact same respect and remarks i've been given since posting this...plain and simple higher rank or not none of you are the ones i'm having to be directed under or report to....so i'm giving back exactly what i got...once again thank you I wish all of you the best of luck,wealth and safety.....i'm just trying to capture the dream too and hopefully get some help along the way which obviously wont come from anyone here..(thank you sharkmansix)

It is impossible for a recruiter to predict future needs of any trade. If he/she says they don't know, then they don't know.

Also, I have spent a good deal of my career in the Infantry (PPCLI), so here is a piece of advice. Lose the attitude...they will eat you alive. That is of course if you get in.
 
M

MikeL

Guest
As the other points have been touched on by other members I'll just get to your question.


If the Infantry is full,  you will have to wait(minimum) until the new fiscal year(April) and go from there.  If there are others ahead of you then you can be waiting longer.  Also,  start putting words in sentences,  use puncuation, etc  Very hard to read what you are trying to say.


 

RCDtpr

Full Member
Reaction score
1
Points
180
kutchie said:
plain and simple higher rank or not none of you are the ones i'm having to be directed under or report to....so i'm giving back exactly what i got...once again thank you I wish all of you the best of luck,wealth and safety.....i'm just trying to capture the dream too and hopefully get some help along the way which obviously wont come from anyone here..(thank you sharkmansix)

There's 2 things you will find if you join the military that related to this right here.

1) It doesn't matter if a higher rank is your direct supervisor or not....you do what they say
2) The CF is not a hand holding organization...you want compliments, assistance with trivial things, and to otherwise hear happy comments all the time...give your mom a call.

If you take remarks and comments like have been posted above so personally.....you're going to have a rough time on BMQ and an even rougher time at Battle School.
 

Eaglelord17

Sr. Member
Reaction score
433
Points
810
Recruiters cannot predict when something is going to be available. For example I can tell you in 1989 the Infantry was hiring. When Afghanistan started the Infantry was hiring. In 2010-2012 the Infantry has very limited spaces for hiring due to a already overstrength trade and the trade becoming very attractive to many civilians. There is more to the military than Infantry. If you look you will find out Artillery does a lot of infantry stuff as well and so does Combat Engineers though in both cases they do a lot more than ruck march and dig trenches  ;D. Best of Luck getting in but to stand a decent chance at the moment you need to have a very strong application.
 

Athena1

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
10
PrairieThunder said:
Infantry Regiments are as follows:

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry: 1st, 3rd battalions - Edmonton, AB; 2nd Bn - Shilo MB
The Royal Canadian Regiment: 1st, 3rd Bns - Petawawa ON; 2nd Bn - Gagetown NB; 4th Bn - London ON (Reserve)
The Royal 22nd Regiment (Francophone): 1st, 3rd Bns - Valcartier QC; 2nd Bn - Quebec City QC; 4th Bn - Laval QC (Reserve); 6th Bn - Saint-Hyacinthe, QC (Reserve)

If you are given the selection of regiment, you may select one of three, however you do not get to select which battalion you are posted to.

Hi All,

Sorry to go a bit off topic here, but I have a question about the selections of regiment.
To make a long story short my husband is currently in BMQ which as im sure you all know restricts the phone calls or at least he has restrictions. When he was sworn in it was for PPCLI 1st Battalion.
In order to be closer to me and make things a lot easier on us he was thinking about asking for a transfer to Petawawa, same trade just different location. Once he got to BMQ he was told that he wasn't assigned to any location and wouldn't know where he was going until he completed BMQ.
Now im confused why would they make him sign for PPCLI in Edmonton then say that? Was it just to get him a spot at basic? Can any one explain this since I can't really talk to my husband about it.
 
M

MikeL

Guest
Athena1 said:
When he was sworn in it was for PPCLI 1st Battalion.

Battalions aren't picked at the recruiting centre,  he would have been offered a position for PPCLI.  He would find out which Battalion he is going to during DP1.

Athena1 said:
In order to be closer to me and make things a lot easier on us he was thinking about asking for a transfer to Petawawa, same trade just different location. Once he got to BMQ he was told that he wasn't assigned to any location and wouldn't know where he was going until he completed BMQ.
Now im confused why would they make him sign for PPCLI in Edmonton then say that? Was it just to get him a spot at basic? Can any one explain this since I can't really talk to my husband about it. 

Like I posted above he would have been offered a position just for the Regiment,  not a Battalion or base.  CFLRS also has no say on where he ends up being posted.  Once your husband completes BMQ he would most likely be sent to Wainwright, Alberta for his DP1 training.  If he wants to go RCR he will have to talk to his CoC there and go about the process to change if possible.  Also,  if he is able to switch from PPCLI to The RCR it doesn't mean he will end up in Petawawa,  he could just as easily be sent to 2RCR in Gagetown, NB.
 

Timberwolf

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
60
Journeyman said:
Actually, the Infantry is hiring about 100 soldiers this week alone.
I suspect that the Recruiting Warrant Officer told you otherwise because he's not allowed to come right out and say, "we don't want a self-centred, illiterate whiner."




It's not my fault Mods.
This never would have happened if this had been posted in the Recruiting threads where it could be ignored! 
  :nod:



Edit: Thanks for moving the thread.  ;D

60 positions as of last week, Oct 4th (according to my recruiter) as I am awaiting a call for one of those positions  :)

After this last selection has been made, all positions will be filled for this fiscal year, I am told. So the next wave of selection would not be until the start of the new fiscal year (April 2013) but even then it's not guaranteed that they will need to hire more.

PPCLI is the only regiment looking for new recruits at the moment.
 

Tow Tripod

Member
Reaction score
0
Points
260
The PPCLI will be looking for recruits because currently the Battalions are almost empty. I know that two course will be coming to :salute: 1PPCLI in December and Mid January. If they all have the same great attitude as the Klutcher their first engagement will be a long ordeal.
As for living the dream you can say hello to Wainwright and Suffield from mid March to Mid June because the battalion will be on the "Road to High Readiness' So what does that mean? It means alot of ARMY Training,Sir!!!! :salute:
 

PPCLI Guy

Army.ca Fixture
Donor
Reaction score
1,191
Points
1,040
Timberwolf said:
PPCLI is the only regiment looking for new recruits at the moment.

The Strategic Intake Plan has been adjusted this year and next in favour of the PPCLI to try and rectify the current strength imbalance between the three Regiments, so odds are that most who get in this year and next will end up as Patricias.
 

Loachman

Former Army Pilot in Drag
Staff member
Directing Staff
Reaction score
452
Points
980
kutchie said:
go back and read my post...

No, I won't. Nor will I read anymore of the one that I pulled this demand from. It's too painful.

You were advised to improve your literacy skills. I would suggest that you do so. We expect a higher standard of communication, written and verbal, in the CF. Lives, expensive equipment, and mission success depend upon it. Use proper sentence structure, capitalization, punctuation, and spelling and drop the MSN-speak if you (not "u") wish to carry on a decent conversation here.

As for the responses that you have received so far, some people have no difficulties when they join and first post on this Site, and some have a bunch, as you have.

We respond to the presentation of the poster. Writing decently will improve your experience considerably. Try it.

Understanding decently will help, as well. As it has been explained, first by your recruiter and a few people here, we cannot predict when applications for Infantry will occur. There are too many factors involved. Asking the same question over and over won't get you a different answer, and expecting one merely makes the person posing the question (you) look like a fool.

Patience is a virtue, especially in a military organization. Persistence is usually a good thing, too, especially in conjunction with patience.

We're not big on mushy, warm-and-fuzzy feelings here, and not too many people know the words to Kumbaya. You won't get any sugar-coated answers.

Now, go and get your Teddy from the corner in which you threw him, and carry on. Your success in the CF and on this Site is up to no-one other than you.

Good luck.
 

The_Falcon

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
410
Don't really want to add to the dog pile but....the only WO who work's at CFRC Det Toronto is the liason for the reserve units and 32 Brigade.  He doesn't deal with people applying to the Regular force....so who exactly did you speak to.
 

ken.w2402

New Member
Reaction score
0
Points
60
PPCLI Guy said:
The Strategic Intake Plan has been adjusted this year and next in favour of the PPCLI to try and rectify the current strength imbalance between the three Regiments, so odds are that most who get in this year and next will end up as Patricias.

Does this apply to officers?
 

Goodeman

Member
Reaction score
0
Points
160
So for those 60 spots that are left, are they only going to go to people who have been merit listed?
 

PPCLI Guy

Army.ca Fixture
Donor
Reaction score
1,191
Points
1,040
ken.w2402 said:
Does this apply to officers?

No - NCMs only. All three Infantry Regiments are currently chock-a-block with junior officers, and it is likely that the 1/3 rule will still apply for those still going through the system.
 

Danjanou

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
0
Points
410
Ok Skippy ooops I meant kuthcie. These guys are hiring Infantry. http://www.legion-recrute.com/
Good news whiny illiterate cry babies go to the head of the line. Bad news they're not in Toronto, best I could do sorry  8)


PPCLI Guy maybe a couple of more really good mess dinners would solve that subaltern surplus?
 
Reaction score
0
Points
210
Danjanou,

By referring to the French Foreign Legion, you've made a very good suggestion. This is something something I had seriously considered, but then I got married  :p.

To the OP, if you REALLY want to be an infanteer then the Legion could be an option. You wont be serving the Crown and Canada. There are some more pros and cons and it is for you to weigh them.

As for joining the Canadian Army, the WO tried to help you as best as he could given the info that was currently with the RC. What will be your recaction if he/ she had told you that "there will be many openings in the new fiscal", and come April, 2013 Infantry is still closed.

I hope this helps.
 

ken.w2402

New Member
Reaction score
0
Points
60
PPCLI Guy said:
No - NCMs only. All three Infantry Regiments are currently chock-a-block with junior officers, and it is likely that the 1/3 rule will still apply for those still going through the system.

hmm looks like by the time I finish DP 1.2 I'll be one of those undesired commissioned privates :-\... marvelous.
 
Top