• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining The Infantry

Is our infantry a bunch of “grunts”

• Yes

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • No, we have an intelligent infantry

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Some are intelligent, most are not

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Most are intelligent, some are not

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm on PAT at WATC and we were told that our next start date is on the 22nd of Feb and next one after isnt until Sept.

KeoughJ said:
I'm on PAT at WATC and we were told that our next start date is on the 22nd of Feb and next one after isnt until Sept.

There are two more courses being planned before Sept.  The dates are not set and the location for one of them is being debated between Wainwright and Shilo.

IIRC, there is a course in Shilo and a course in Edmonton starting in September.

So, i would really love to get into the forces and make it a career for the rest of my life but im not sure if they would accept me... my average in school is 81% and am graduating highschool, my math grade though is a 70 and my english a 75, i volunteer regularly and have put in many hours, and since Canada isnt in a time of war what does it take and what extra could i do to up my chances and what even are my chances? thank you 

Your chances are as good as the next guy.  What your chances are depend on what else goes on your application.  Were you trying to go Infantry Officer, or Infantryman?

Not a recruiter, but I'd recommend the following:

Finish highschool with the best marks you can.
Be as fit as you possibly can
Join a sports team or other athletic endeavour.
While you are waiting (and everyone does for a period of time), upgrade your school marks (either highschool or take other courses/programs).
Be willing to wait for 6 months to several years to see any results from your application - have a backup plan for the rest of your life.
Learn everything you possibly can about what life in the infantry is like.  This forum is an excellent place to find that information out.  You'll need it for your interview.

Outside of that, you'll need to get an application and roll the dice.  Contact your local CFRC and listen to their suggestions.

Ayrsayle said:
Not a recruiter, but I'd recommend the following:

Finish highschool with the best marks you can.
Be as fit as you possibly can
Join a sports team or other athletic endeavour.
While you are waiting (and everyone does for a period of time), upgrade your school marks (either highschool or take other courses/programs).
Be willing to wait for 6 months to several years to see any results from your application - have a backup plan for the rest of your life.
Learn everything you possibly can about what life in the infantry is like.  This forum is an excellent place to find that information out.  You'll need it for your interview.

Outside of that, you'll need to get an application and roll the dice.  Contact your local CFRC and listen to their suggestions.

Going to add a bit onto this. Don't just upgrade your marks, consider a post-secondary education as well. The military loves educated people.

Treemoss said:
Going to add a bit onto this. Don't just upgrade your marks, consider a post-secondary education as well. The military loves educated people.

I'll second that having a few years of uni done made my application that much more competitive.

For those following. Next course from what I could find will be 15 Sept 15. They are running two courses from Wainwright by the looks of it at the same time.

Thought I'd kickstart this thread again as Infantry is hiring a lot this year and many members and guests are applying.

I was wondering if anyone can shed light on the current state of Regular Force Infantry? I'm curious as to where BMQ graduates are being sent to, how often DP 1 courses are run and anything else Infantry applicants/prospects should know

Hi, I'd like to have more information on these two professions.

I'm interested in both, but I'm looking for the one I can see real action and where I can train a lot. At first I was interested by the infantry officer position, but then I heard that during combat, they have to stay behind, for example if the soldiers have to go into a house. Is that true? In this case, I think I'd prefer going in with the boys... But is it only when you're clearing a house or is it whenever you're in contact with the enemy?

I'm also concerned about the administrative workload that the officer has to do... What does this look like?

On the other hand, I've heard that the infantry soldiers have a lot of time to train while they aren't deployed. Is this true? What would a typical week looks like? (for both infantry soldiers and infantry officers to make a comparison)

Thanks a lot!

LPsOLB54 said:
What would a typical week looks like? (for both infantry soldiers and infantry officers to make a comparison)

Officer/NCM differences 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/171.0
22 pages.

Friendly Advice for potential Infantry Officer candidates 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/99437.0

Life as an Army officer 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/1155/post-12245.html#msg12245

Life as an Infantry Soldier?
http://army.ca/forums/threads/1897.150.html

Infantry
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+infantry+soldier+officer&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=kEZnVteXKKjd8geOmIHYBQ&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+infantry+

LPsOLB54 said:
I'm also concerned about the administrative workload that the officer has to do... What does this look like?

shutterstock_37190596_crop380w.jpg
  You're welcome.

Journeyman said:
shutterstock_37190596_crop380w.jpg
  You're welcome.

That pressing issued of what colour are the pips and crowns going to be just won't go away eh JM [Xp.

Danjanou said:
That pressing issued of what colour are the pips and crowns going to be just won't go away eh JM [Xp.
  :dunno:  Hey, I just figured that the OP's inability to read any  of the pre-existing threads on this topic suggested that simple pictures may be the best way to answer a question.

It was that or stick-figures.  ;)

Journeyman said:
  :dunno:  Hey, I just figured that the OP's inability to read any  of the pre-existing threads on this topic suggested that simple pictures may be the best way to answer a question.

It was that or stick-figures.  ;)

Stick figures are only for us unedumucated other ranks. 8)

Back