• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

It'd be hard to find a leader without Chinese connections for any party if you go looking within what passes for the "eastern establishment".

I guess we will have to wait until tomorrow, but a "$12 bn defense top-up" can mean a lot of things. Is that an extra $12 bn a year, or an extra $12 bn out until 2027?
12B wouldn't get us to 2% but it's a damn good start, now if they let us spend it, we might be on the right path.

12B wouldn't get us to 2% but it's a damn good start, now if they let us spend it, we might be on the right path.
I think it might be an accurate number. I never thought we’d get to 2% but an increase like that should make some of our allies happy.

But yes. The key is how we spend that and what we already have.

12 BCAD?

Is that sustained?
Or one time?
Or spread over 5 years?

Wait out!.

Start of very good piece at Conference on Defence Associations Institute:

Three ways to improve defence procurement in Canada

Richard B. Fadden, O.C. former National Security Advisor to the Prime Minister and Deputy Minister of National Defence

LGen (ret) Guy Thibault, former Vice Chief of the Defence Staff

In National Defence, getting the money is the easiest part…

Given the deterioration of the international security situation, the Prime Minister has said he is open to additional defence spending. Assuming Mr. Trudeau meant what he said...

Mark
Ottawa

I wonder how much funding it would cost to just address the shortfall of 6,500 active members? I imagine that would cost somewhere around a cool billion, when all knock on factors are considered. Salaries only would eat up more than 1/2 billion alone.

I'd like them to address that shortfall and then add another 8-9k in full time headout, round out around 75-78k.

More on what they will spend.

Looks like maybe 8 billion. Plus a new defence policy which could be good news but we’ll see. So we’ll be at 1.5 percent if GDP.
If we are currently at 1.39% and we move to 1.5%, is that truly a significant move? It's no where near an 8$ billion increase in spending. Based on the info in that article, I'm calling bullshit.

This is the worst I have ever seen. I grew up in the CAF and have since retired but it seems GoC is determined to break the CAF and turn it into a shadow of what it was.

They are happy to give more money to the DND, because a good chunk will remain unspent, returned to TB and reallocated to more voter rich initiatives.
It will be interesting to see what unfunded election promises - if any - get tossed on the "next time" pile to fund this defence increase along with the NDP asks. Singh didn't support any increases in defence.

Anand already put the writing on the wall. There's 3 options;
Exceed the 2.0% GDP
Meet the 2.0@ GDP; and
Don't meet the 2.0% GDP.

Failure was worked into the COAs from the start
Admittedly I have not seen the MND much but she does project leadership traits - you know who the boss is when they enter the room.

It will be interesting to see what unfunded election promises - if any - get tossed on the "next time" pile to fund this defence increase along with the NDP asks. Singh didn't support any increases in defence.
You mean something like Chretien saying that they'd scrap the GST and close to 30yrs later they haven't done it?

You mean something like Chretien saying that they'd scrap the GST and close to 30yrs later they haven't done it?
As I posted earlier in this thread, Trudeau has upwards of $50B in unfunded election promises already, before this grandiose proposal to turn us into a middle power again.

Back