• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Knee injuries and Running in the Artillery

MaxZ

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello arty soldiers,

I am joining the reserves this summer (or this September depending on which BMQ force they can slot me in) and I am currently in the process of joining the Royal Highland Fusiliers of Canada Infantry Regiment as an officer. However when I started doing regular runs for training, I get terrible pains in my knees and feet that are probably results of previous injuries. I have had some of these pains before and I don't think they are going away anytime soon. I don't think I will be able to handle the running required for INF O training so I was wondering if the Artillery Officers' need to do less high impact exercise. I would love to do either INF or Arty Officer in the reserves, the Infantry regiment was just closer to me.

I am fine walking long distances and marching with a pack, but running is too much for my knees. My question is how much running do Arty Officers do in their training and trade? I can handle distances up to 3km once every two days or so, and could probably improve on that with physio (going in early April to a good therapist). Is this running capability enough to get through the courses for reserve arty officer and perform the job itself?

MaxZ said:
Is this running capability enough to get through the courses for reserve arty officer and perform the job itself?

Have you read this?

"Here is what lies ahead for you in your quest to become a physically fit member of the Forces".
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/training-90
( Click the "Get Prepared" tab. )

You could ask about Artillery here, where you asked about Infantry, Engineers and Armour,

You would probably get the same answers as you did for the other three,

MaxZ said:
I want to join either my local infantry or combat engineers regiment, however I may have to join armored because I have past injuries that interfere with walking and running long distances (especially with a pack).

Back