• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Knotty Knots

RememberanceDay

Inactive
Reaction score
*THIS IS MEANT TO BE ONLY A FUN FORUM*

What's your favorite knot? Least favorite? One you can never get right?

I love the Monkey's fist, so fun to make once you get the hang of it, along with the reef knot. Use it every day.

What's your love/hate/never can get it right knot?

Clove hitch and the Windsor knot suit up!

Looking forward to learning ropework.
I'm pretty useless when it comes to tying things off or identifying the right knots for the right task. (overhand knot + overhand knot = secure?)

Enjoy:
http://www.animatedknots.com/indexrescue.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Edit to add.
Alphabetical Knots List:
http://www.animatedknots.com/knotlist.php?Categ=rescue&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Topic: "knot work / rope work":
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/79610/post-754415.html#msg754415

A 'Carrick Bend'.............as a combat engineer this is one you should be able tie standing on your head, and or (while) a tad under the weather for one reason or another.

Yours aye....

Thanks a bunch, Mario. Love that site! Taught me the monkey's fist in 5 mins, since my crusty PO (Cadet) refused claiming that it would take me hours to even understand... One on him, since I can now do it better and faster than anyone in the corp. :D

Carrak bends are awesome!

Seriously, I love doing my ropework. Love solving puzzles (AKA, figuring how to undo the new kid's god-awful so-called round turn and two half hitches, with a dozen extra half hitches. )

Personally, I like the Face Knot.

The one I get when I sit down with my morning coffee and read the Recruiting Forum  ;)

That or the knot I get in my knickers from some Radio Chatter threads ;)

old fart said:
A 'Carrick Bend'.............as a combat engineer this is one you should be able tie standing on your head, and or (while) a tad under the weather for one reason or another.

What's the application for the carrick bend in the field?  (I've only known it as being used to bend together heavy lines, in the ballpark of hawsers.)

Big fan of the alpine butterfly knot. Easy to tie, can be done even when one end of the rope is already tied to an anchor point. Doesn't weaken the rope at the point of the knot like most knots do

recceguy said:
Personally, I like the Face Knot.

The one I get when I sit down with my morning coffee and read the Recruiting Forum  ;)

That or the knot I get in my knickers from some Radio Chatter threads ;)

Haha, I enjoy the latter, the first one, not so  much!

Sample2K7 said:
Big fan of the alpine butterfly knot. Easy to tie, can be done even when one end of the rope is already tied to an anchor point. Doesn't weaken the rope at the point of the knot like most knots do

I like that as well.  It does weaken the line, but not to the extent that a lot of other knots do.  (A bit of science on it at http://www.caves.org/section/vertical/nh/50/knotrope.html.)

N. McKay said:
What the application for the carrick bend in the field?  (I've only known it as being used to bend together heavy lines, in the ballpark of hawsers.)

It can be used to join any diameter rope/cordage in situations where a load is applied...even if great a load is applied it can be easily undone.  Large hawser type stuff, once the knot  is tied, the running end is seized against the standing end and the knot maintains its classic shape....and of course even after great strain is applied it is easily undone.

With smaller diameters of natural or man made cordage the knot is left to sinch-up (ensure sufficient running end is left to allow this)....and again, even after great strain is applied it is easily undone.

Often, knots like a reef knot are wrongly used in situations where a load is applied where something like a carrick bend should have been used.

I love any the complete figure of 8 family, just for ease and applications. However the Alberta Hitch-Originally designed for mine rescue- is a beautiful, albeit complicated, knot perfect for lowering casualties and horizontal applications (Cross Decking anyone) when all you have is 20 feet of rope.

N. McKay said:
What's the application for the carrick bend in the field?  (I've only known it as being used to bend together heavy lines, in the ballpark of hawsers.)

The principle use of a carrick bend (as opposed to other bends) is that it can be run around a capstan or a windlass.  A reef knot (which is actually a bend) would get caught in that application.

Many knots are my favourites, as long as they are self slip so we don't have to @$%^#& at them when the need to undo them arises.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Many knots are my favourites, as long as they are self slip so we don't have to @$%^#& at them when the need to undo them arises.

Ha Ha - You must be talking about me; a stoker.  If you can't tie knots, tie lots!! I thought that was why we carry the seaman's knife-to cut stoker knots!

The key to a good knot is the ease with which it is untied.  "Stoker hitches" should be avoided at all costs.

Many years ago as a young stoker (DMech when we were still mechanics) I impressed the hell out of the Buffer at my reserve unit with the fact that not only could I tie knots, I also eye-spliced a few hawsers for him! :nod:  Who says sea cadet training isn't good?

Pusser said:
The key to a good knot is the ease with which it is untied.  "Stoker hitches" should be avoided at all costs.

Many years ago as a young stoker (DMech when we were still mechanics) I impressed the hell out of the Buffer at my reserve unit with the fact that not only could I tie knots, I also eye-spliced a few hawsers for him! :nod:  Who says sea cadet training isn't good?
Sir:
You traitorous b***ard you!!

Pat in Halifax said:
Sir:
You traitorous b***ard you!!

Hey!  Just because I could tie a knot doesn't mean I couldn't turn a wrench (or beat somebody with it). ;D

Back