• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kyrgyzstan-your thoughts.

GENOMS Soilder

Inactive
Reaction score
I was just wondering about what everyone thought about that 'lightning coup' that just happened in Kyrgyzstan.
Just asking for opinions or more in-depth information about the situation over there.
Also, can you guys see this happening again in more post Soviet countires, or other countries where civil unrest is high.
I know Haiti was one of those large uprisings.
Just wanting inputs.

Links to articles from reteurs;  http://80.249.99.204/index.htm?view=Search+results&collection=alertnet&key=kyrgyz

Hard to say if the events are good are bad without knowing what's going on behind the scenes.  And before these events I didn't even know this country existed. so again it's hard to say if the new governement will be better than the old, or if a new dictator just organised a coup.

Looks like similar events to Ukraine might happen in Zimbabwe following the election.  There are many allegations of fraud and with holding food from people unless they vote a certain way.  http://www.cbc.ca/storyview/MSN/world/national/2005/03/31/zimbabwe-election050331.html      http://www.metronews.ca/reuters_international.asp?id=64809

Kyrgyzstan.. My thoughts?

How about, I don't like the country and any culture where kidnapping of women for marriage is virtually accepted gets no pity from myself for their screwed up situation.

Whether Kyrgyzstan walks away from this unscathed or in a smouldering crater is of no consequence to me.

Sounds bad to say but ... oh well, that's life.

I feel for anyone that is in a position where they might lose what freedom they have. I think the United States, having a vested interest in this country, should make sure that the upcoming elections are free and honest. As for Russia, I think they should take a step back, we all know how freedom loving Putin is. ;D

Kyrgyzstan has, in addition to its "friends" in the other Central Asian stans, two important neighbours: Russia and China.

Kyrgyzstan does not have extensive oil reserves but it does have a large Muslim majority and this worries the Chinese leaders who oppose all religious groups which attempt to intrude into politics.

The Chinese also regard Central Asia as being Asian which means, for the Chinese, that the region must not be dominated by Europeans or the Americans; the Chinese regard the Russians as Europeans.  It is not that China wants to annex or absorb Kyrgyzstan, it does not; China has enough Muslim minorities already, but the Chinese are unlikely to tolerate too much interference from anyone else.

Nielsen_Noetic said:
I feel for anyone that is in a position where they might lose what freedom they have. I think the United States, having a vested interest in this country, should make sure that the upcoming elections are free and honest. As for Russia, I think they should take a step back, we all know how freedom loving Putin is. ;D

You kidding me? Putin has to be the biggest freedom lover I have ever heard of - past or present. Don't let his past of being in the KGB fool you as they too enjoyed freedom and liberty. I think the Maple Leaf on our flag ought to be replaced by a picture of Putin because of his determined efforts to promote democracy.

Now with that out of my system, the previous posts have brought up issues I didn't really consider. What will Russia and China do? I think Edward was probably right in his analysis of China but I have to wonder about Russia. With Putin doing democracy and freedom "Russian style" and with that entire involvement with Ukraine (which probably goes a bit deeper than anyone knows) I wonder if Russia will try to bring it's formerly controlled country back into its fold.

China I think has enough problems to deal with .. namely Taiwan.

Steve said:

... What will Russia and China do? I think Edward was probably right in his analysis of China but I have to wonder about Russia. With Putin doing democracy and freedom "Russian style" and with that entire involvement with Ukraine (which probably goes a bit deeper than anyone knows) I wonder if Russia will try to bring it's formerly controlled country back into its fold.

China I think has enough problems to deal with .. namely Taiwan.

As I have said elsewhere, China is not 'busy' with Taiwan.

Taiwan is a tool China is using to put some pressure on the US position and face in Asia.   America is occupied in Iraq and China can flex its muscles without much fear of a US rebuke.   The 'neighbours', who also value face, see and understand.   Provoking a bit of anti-Japanese sentiment, even as the two economies become more and more closely intertwined, doesn't hurt either.

China is involved in long term, continuing negotiations with Taiwan.   Taiwan and China agree, broadly, that Taiwan is, indeed, a province of China; the issue is: when will reunification take place?   Taiwan wants to wait until there is more political reform in China and until China will guarantee a semi-autonomous status for Taiwan, but Taiwan was put off by the Hong Kong experience.   The current public warm welcome for a visiting (from Taiwan) Kuomintang delegation to China; the replacement of Tung Chee-hwa by Donald Tsang as Hong Kong's Chief Executive; and the introduction of the Anti-secession Law are not coincidental just by coincidence â “ that sort of thing just doesn't happen in China.

I need to re-emphasize that, in my opinion, China does not want to 'take' Kyrgyzstan but, equally it will not tolerate   Kyrgyzstan being 'taken' by anyone else, including Russia and America.

Edited to correct punctuation.

Back