• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Land Duty Allowance interpretation question

devsnrnco

Inactive
Reaction score
Here is the official CLDA policy: Chapter 205- Allowances for officers and non-commissioned members - Canada.ca

I recently returned from staffing a DP3 RSCC course, where we spent 10 days in the field in Meaford. We stayed in mod tents in the training area. I was expecting CLDA but instead got "incidentals", which is less. I asked my BOR about this and was told that being in mod tents in the field doesn't meet the criteria for CLDA. However, after reading this policy, I don't agree with this interpretation.

Thoughts?

There is a degree of subjectivity in the interpretation of the policy, unfortunately. I have stayed in mod tents and received the predecessor to CLDA (FOA); I have stayed in mod tents and received incidentals. In one memorable summer, in the same tent, I received both for two different periods of time.

One thing to remember, however, is that allowances are taxable (CLDA) and incidentals are not. Thus, the difference between $27.16 daily as an allowance and $17.30 daily for incidentals is less than it may initially appear.

Here is the official CLDA policy: Chapter 205- Allowances for officers and non-commissioned members - Canada.ca

I recently returned from staffing a DP3 RSCC course, where we spent 10 days in the field in Meaford. We stayed in mod tents in the training area. I was expecting CLDA but instead got "incidentals", which is less. I asked my BOR about this and was told that being in mod tents in the field doesn't meet the criteria for CLDA. However, after reading this policy, I don't agree with this interpretation.

Thoughts?
Like Dapaterson have seen vary degree of interpretation, including people receiving LDA attempt the reverse to get TD while living in Mod tents (unsuccessfully)

I am aware of some clarifications from DCBA on the matter, but would be lying if I said I can recall what exactly they were, IIRC they revolved around the Armoured School and their use of Camp Petersville. You can always ask your OR to clarify with DCBA.

I suspect that it is just easier to pay you out TD as they have to abate the TD for the days you were potentially on CLDA and in some cases as Dapaterson pointed out it doesn't always make sense to take CLDA as a member.

Did you have hot water showers and porcelain toilets? If not, I'd submit a notice of intent to grieve. Thats penny pinching garbage.

Grieve it. Make them regret the $100 a person they tried to save. You may not get the money anytime soon but you'll set the precedent.

I did not catch this in my original answer, your BOR should be clarifying with the school as it is their money after all that is paying the claim. They should have done it in the first place even if it was your unit but some places let ORs run/interpret admin usually to their detriment. It is likely not the first time the school has dealt with this issue and they would have the answer

AS PC pointed out grieving is an option and your right but my suggestion is to just try and correct what could be a simple mistake through normal channels. This kind of thing happens and usually doesn't need a scorched earth approach to fix it (last part was tongue in cheek).

Definitely agree with MJP here that you need to let the normal process run it's course, it actually will just provide more ammo for the grievance if you don't jump to it. But if the BOR tells you no (make sure they're tracking no running water), blaze the trail for your troops with the grievance so they won't have to deal with the same problem.

Incidentals are for living in shacks/on economy, not for mod tents in the field with no abolution facilities except for an immersion heater and a water buffalo.

Seen this a few years ago. PC is right, indicentals are for shacks not mod tents. That's garbage. It's only a few bucks difference but do you think the CAF would come after you for a few bucks? You know it.

Back