• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Least appealing Aspects of Infantry

Strategic

Inactive
Reaction score
Question three on the Preparing For Your Interview asks what are some aspects of the Forces and Infarty  Infantry that one would find least appealing.

From the guys/ girls who are doing the job now what would be some of the least appealing aspects?

How do you manage the more difficult aspects?

The cold...the mud...the rain...

oh wait...you said LEAST appealing? ;D

Realistically speaking, the injuries. The infantry is a lot more physically demanding than most other trades, with a lot more opportunities to get hurt on the job, even stupid little things on training like spraining your ankle on a march.

Having to deal with the not-so-subtle jealousy of the non-infantry types, which goes all the way up the chain of command.

If you can believe it, some have even gone to the bizarre lengths of stealing infantry weapons systems (mortars) and capabilities (pioneers), in the hopes of tricking people into believing they were infantry. In one non-infantry regiment, they tried this by taking the anti-armour weapons (TOW), which proved too difficult for them to operate. It worked to their benefit though - - by raising their hopes of getting some of the cast-off groupies by hanging out with real infantry soldiers.

Although it's actually quite sad, the reality is not everyone has the upper-body strength, cardio fitness, and rugged good looks to be infantry.  ;D

Journeyman....
surely you jest.....Sappers jealous of the Infanteers?......  trying to trick people into thinking they're Infanteers? nope - I don't think so ::warstory::

The Sappers are out there to give you guys access to the "other guys"
The Sappers are out there to deny the other guys access to you guys.....

Mines, Demolitions, Defenses, wire, boats, bridging, roadwork, clean water, construction of all kinds... go on, admit it... you want to be one too :)

As an Infanteer you may get to sleep in the mud beside a tank one day,thats something to look foward to. ;D

your at the pointy end as an infanteer,Ive even had silly thoughts of going grunt a few times.

Possible perspectives not appealing to many infantry soldiers, or any soldier, period - check with current overseas guys :

Painting rocks
Picking up garbage or FOD
Being on shift more than 12 hours (if that bastard is late one more time Im going to....)
Driving for the RSM (Ive heard you gain a lot of weight in that job, a lot of sitting aroundand waiting)
Toting water containers up hills
Wearing NBCW suits during exercises in the middle of summer (winter OK, nice extra insulation)
Paying $45+ for a carton of cigarettes when the other countries are paying $8
Being restricted to base when other bases get to shop and mix with the locals (not practical if Afghanistan, but applies elsewhere)
Being allowed only two drinks on your day off while deployed.
Not being allowed to mix with the other gender while deployed (although friends of mine with night scopes tell me that that this is not as much as a problem as people think!)
Having to practice for parades when its over 40 degrees centigrade out.
Having to practice for parades when its under 15 degrees out.
Having to practice parades period.
Having to practice parades with air force guys (lord help me!).
Having to practice parades with people from 4 or more different units (it takes a while to agree on some movements).
Having to run outside and salute a passing vehicle when you are trying to see if someone is violating the neutral zone.
Not being able to shoot the little buggers who lase you with penlights.
Waiting in line up while some civi with likely no security clearance checks ME to see if Im a threat, when Im on my way to a deployment.  
Waiting in line up at the airport while the 30 cadets in front of me are told to remove their ankle boots as part of a security check.
Making coffee for someone because you are ordered to.
Driving 3 hours longer because the dipstick navigating is lost.
Walking 3 hours because the dipstick with the map is lost.
Being lost because you are the dipstick.
Being captured by foreign police officers because you got lost.
Being the dipstick in charge and being questioned by foreign police officers.
Accidentally walking into a foreign military department and realizing nobody knows you are there.
Meeting Russian spetznaz in the middle of local towns and nobody knows why they are there.
Being the poor bastard stuck with eating the corned beef hash MRE.
Eating US MRE's
Having someone make an MRE bomb and throwing it at you.  
Playing 'dodg'em' with ninja throwing stars somebody bought while in Germany.
Having to listen to your buddy brag about the two girls he slept with in Bulgaria.
Having to listen to your buddy moan about the minor complaint he picked up from the two girls in Bulgaria.
Having to listen to some young punk come off a jump course and call you a 'leg' when your beret has more time in than he does.
Having Americans sing 'they're not even a real country anyway" and not knowing what the joke is.
Seeing South Park and figuring out why that bastard was singing that song.
Mistaking that Alabama-chaw-chewing-buggers coke bottle of tubacky spit for your own bottle of pop.
Working till 3 am to finish reports and then going out no patrol again the next day at 7 sharp!

Now to be fair, there's lot of fun things too!

That sum pepl thnk we R dum and can even not spel or ryte nutink. Hhe! Hh! Joak  is  on tehm!.

Cheers.

Seeing a panzer take up a turret down and the loader exclaiming "The coffee is too hot!" in minus 30 degree weather.    ;D

Regards

The constant voices in your head saying " Why didn't I listen and go Artillery?" :warstory:

I thought dying.. was the least appealing aspect of the infantry...

but thats just me.  ::) ;)

Trinity said:
I thought dying.. was the least appealing aspect of the infantry...

"Everyone dies; not everyone truly lives

The thought of an obituary reading "he was one hell of a bookkeeper, the local Rotary Club will miss him"  sends shudders down my spine.

I alway found that the guys you meet and work with in the infantry never ever remember your name or face and will never buy you a beer,  take a minute or so to talk about the good ol'days.... even years and years after:)  We seem to forget eah other quite quickly.

listening post, it's raining, you're laying in a hollow in the sand, it's 2:00am and it's your turn for the next two hours and all your eyes want to do is go back to what they were doing so nicely before you got woken up....hmmmmm

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... but the RSM is on the prowl  (BOO!)

Sitting on sentry 03h15 in the morning,knowing there is no enemy force .

sweeping dirt.why?It's dirty.

Although it's actually quite sad, the reality is not everyone has the upper-body strength, cardio fitness, and rugged good looks to be infantry. 

That may be so...but the Armoured corps has the LCF on their side  8)

Lost_Warrior said:
That may be so...but the Armoured corps has the LCF on their side  8)

What with your non existant tanks? or maybe your Coyote which you took from us....  ;D

As for least appealing aspect, 20km, 80lbs ruck, advance to contact all the way...no food no water re-sup just hump, kill, hump repeat as ordered till ordered to stop.

Lets not forget the hoards of mosquitoes that just won't stop buzzing in your ear when you are trying to get some shut eye.

And what is cool about a bunch of fat guys crawling around a tank. ;)

Thanks guys I go for my Interview May 10th. After reading the post and thinking about the question a bit the least appealing points to me are the Sacraf ice, injuries, and potential of dieing.

The one thing to keep in mind is that my injuries will heal, my wife will have to deal with it, and I will have training and be with a good group of guys if the sh*t hits the fan.

Can't wait  see you soon!

Centurian1985 said:
Possible perspectives not appealing to many infantry soldiers, or any soldier, period - check with current overseas guys :

Painting rocks
Picking up garbage or FOD
Being on shift more than 12 hours (if that ******* is late one more time Im going to....)
Driving for the RSM (Ive heard you gain a lot of weight in that job, a lot of sitting aroundand waiting)
Toting water containers up hills
Wearing NBCW suits during exercises in the middle of summer (winter OK, nice extra insulation)
Paying $45+ for a carton of cigarettes when the other countries are paying $8
Being restricted to base when other bases get to shop and mix with the locals (not practical if Afghanistan, but applies elsewhere)
Being allowed only two drinks on your day off while deployed.
Not being allowed to mix with the other gender while deployed (although friends of mine with night scopes tell me that that this is not as much as a problem as people think!)
Having to practice for parades when its over 40 degrees centigrade out.
Having to practice for parades when its under 15 degrees out.
Having to practice parades period.
Having to practice parades with air force guys (lord help me!).
Having to practice parades with people from 4 or more different units (it takes a while to agree on some movements).
Having to run outside and salute a passing vehicle when you are trying to see if someone is violating the neutral zone.
Not being able to shoot the little buggers who lase you with penlights.
Waiting in line up while some civi with likely no security clearance checks ME to see if Im a threat, when Im on my way to a deployment. 
Waiting in line up at the airport while the 30 cadets in front of me are told to remove their ankle boots as part of a security check.
Making coffee for someone because you are ordered to.
Driving 3 hours longer because the dipstick navigating is lost.
Walking 3 hours because the dipstick with the map is lost.
Being lost because you are the dipstick.
Being captured by foreign police officers because you got lost.
Being the dipstick in charge and being questioned by foreign police officers.
Accidentally walking into a foreign military department and realizing nobody knows you are there.

Meeting Russian spetznaz in the middle of local towns and nobody knows why they are there.

Being the poor ******* stuck with eating the corned beef hash MRE.
Eating US MRE's
Having someone make an MRE bomb and throwing it at you. 
Playing 'dodg'em' with ninja throwing stars somebody bought while in Germany.
Having to listen to your buddy brag about the two girls he slept with in Bulgaria.
Having to listen to your buddy moan about the minor complaint he picked up from the two girls in Bulgaria.
Having to listen to some young punk come off a jump course and call you a 'leg' when your beret has more time in than he does.
Having Americans sing 'they're not even a real country anyway" and not knowing what the joke is.
Seeing South Park and figuring out why that ******* was singing that song.
Mistaking that Alabama-chaw-chewing-buggers coke bottle of tubacky spit for your own bottle of pop.
Working till 3 am to finish reports and then going out no patrol again the next day at 7 sharp!

Now to be fair, there's lot of fun things too!

WHOA! Now that caught my eye!!! You've been through quite some shiznit eh??? Wanna tell us (or me-PM) a war story here??? C'mon, give us the goods!!! I'd LOVE to hear this!!! How the heck did they react to seeing YOU.... That must have been nerve rattling....

Anyway,

Thanks for the refresher folks, reminded me of a few shitty things I had forgotten about the Infantry... :)
:cdn:

Back