• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Leave Returning off of Parental

Handsome_devil

Inactive
Reaction score
I recently came off of 5 months of parental leave as of 17 Aug 14 and have been newly posted to HMCS Hunter (Windsor) as an army Reg Force member.  I checked both my EMAA and Peoplesoft leave balance and it's reads 3 days.  I understand that I was abated 2 days annual per month of parental leave (10 days total) and I'm at a point in my career that I receive 25 days annual per year, so wouldn't that leave me sitting at around 14 - 15 annual days remaining... I looked in the CFLPM but didnt find any info pertaining to leave after returning from Parental.  :facepalm:

I have no answer but just a thought/ question.............does the military 'top up' the difference between UI and your pay and, if so, could that come out of your annual leave?

I believe they do top you up when on parental but I dont think it affects annual leave.  I just want to handle this issue before xmas leave gets any closer. 

Likely a system glitch; talk to your URS to see if they can figure out the issue.  It is not the first, nor will it be the last error in the history of DND computer systems...

I suspect that since the system did not generate an annual entitlement for you as of 01 April instead it is accruing your leave as each month goes by.

It's embarrassing for me to not know the answer to this, I am in fact a clerk.  But I also suspect that leave is being accrued as well.

The section on "Annual" in the Leave Manual discusses leave abatement and how it is supposed to work.  Look at section 3.4 (page 30 of the PDF version) at http://cmp-cpm.forces.mil.ca/dgcb/dppd/pdf/LeavePolicyManual_e.pdf (DWAN only).

Handsome_devil said:
I believe they do top you up when on parental but I dont think it affects annual leave.  I just want to handle this issue before xmas leave gets any closer.

Sounds like a system issue (ie; HRMS/PeopleSoft).  If you are entitled to the 25 days annual, then you "should" be entitled to 14 days for the current leave year, as a minimum.

Check with your supporting URS who should be able to correct the problem.  Usually the Release Section deals with MATA/PATA issues such as this.

Based on my math and understanding: You were on PATA (within this leave year) from 01 April - 16 August inclusive.  That is five complete calendar months; August does not count since abatement only covers complete calendar months.  Therefore, you would have 25 days annual less 5x2 days abatement = 15 days annual.

Find a leave guru somewhere to talk things through.

Exactly, my calculations came up with the same number.  Im sure itll be rectified in the near future. 

thanks for the input

If I am not mistaken you wouldn't count August because it is only a partial month.  The 2 days abatement applies to full months only.

SGT-RMSCLK said:
If I am not mistaken you wouldn't count August because it is only a partial month.  The 2 days abatement applies to full months only.

Good news for OP and I learned something new! according to CFLPM 3.4.01(1) Abatement for Periods of Non-Paid Service:

For members entitled to 20 or 25 days annual leave at the time when the member commences non-paid service – 2 days for each complete calendar month of non-paid service

I think the complete calendar month caveat is pretty clear so looks like 8 leave days abated for April, May, June and July.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-benefits/leave-policy.page#chap3

If I am wrong (happens often) I would love to know. I hope you get this worked out!

Back