• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Legal Officer Recruiting [Merged]

R

rceme_rat

I am looking for comments re service in JAG - preferably from a serving JAG offr, reg or res. Would like to discuss your practice - types of files, etc. Am considering JAG as an alternative to corporate practice. Not as interested in general service knowledge as 12+ years service covers that - albeit its getting to be a bit dated now.

Thanks.

I am two days from my enrollment date into the CF as a JAG legal officer. I will be starting BOTC in Septemebr and wonder if there is anyone connected with this post board who has any info on the first few years as a legal officer.

I have gleaned quite a bit of info so far but first hand info is always useful.

Thanks

Legal officers have nothing to do with CSS. Actually, they have nothing to do with Combat. This should be moved to the recruiting section.

While I agree that JAG officers are not physically involved in combat they are specifically deployed with troops that are and their legal opinions concerning ROE and LOAC are incorporated into the commanding officers deliberations when planning.

I should also note that I was not sure where this thread should be posted given the limited specialty position that it deals with.

Obviously I respect your experience and thank you for your response. If you know of a better section than this or the recruiting section please let me know.

In my experience the legal officers come in handy in sticky situations.

Wasn‘t me, go ahead tell them.
I was in the rack dreaming sweet thoughts when that occured.
Great guys.

I am new to this site, so I hope I am doing this right.  I have a question, there is a service mbr that was charged and was send to detention barracks for 30 days he has a girlfriend and a child. The unit even though paperwork was submitted for comonlaw statues will not recognise the status because they are not living together so now this person is in jail and no one has contacted the girlfriend.  When calling the chain of command there is no response when contacting the Jag Office the answer is sorry we cant talk to you because we are advising the chain of command, the advise given was call the Defence Council Services they will help.  When calling the Defence Council Services they are told that sorry we don't have the mandate to deal with this.
My question is where can a person go to get legal answers as far as some sort of payment for the child etc if I am correct when someone goes to jail pay automatically stop's so how is this young lady supposed to support herself and there son and no one will speak to her because they are not considered common law.
I would think that DND has somewhat of an obligation to make sure that the child at least is somewhat taken care off.  If anyone could give me a bit of advice on this that would be great.

beatrix34 said:
I would think that DND has somewhat of an obligation to make sure that the child at least is somewhat taken care off.

Pardon my ignorance, but why would DND have an obligation?    ???

what I meant by obligation was, when a mbr goes to jail if I understand correctly his pay is cut off but if there is a spouse then dnd makes sure there is enough funds so the family does not suffer any further hardship as far as bills etc.  I am not saying dnd has an obligation to support the child what I am saying is I would think dnd has an obligation that the child is taking care of financialy as they would if there is a spouse.

Hi Beatrix,

I think you may be better off checking with the CF's family support resources which usually have a website link to the area where the individual family is based.  If I'm not mistaken the CF has set up hotlines to deal with these types of situations. Access the base website and if there is no direct link call the base operator and ask about family support.  They should be able to answer all your questions.

Many, many years ago commanding officers and superior commanders had the authority to decide that a percentage of the pay of a soldier sentenced to detention should not be forfeit but, rather, should be paid to his wife to cover rent, food etc.

The primary purpose of sending most soldiers to detention is to correct a failure in our training system.   When a soldier breaks the rules we, the leadership, must share the blame because our training was, obviously, insufficient â “ we failed to explain adequately why it was vital to work within the rules.

Thus, when we send a soldier to detention for retraining it is because we intend that he should return to duty properly trained and motivated; we don't help that process if, during the six weeks or so that he was in the digger, his wife got booted out of the house and his two kids ended up in the hands of the Children's Aid Society.

http://www.mfrcedmonton.com/english.html

try this link as a starting point, mdh

I tryed the mfrc and they where of no help to me, the advice I got was call legal aid.  I am amazed that no one within dnd has been trying to help in this situation it seems the only thing they can say is well there not commonlaw.

It's unfortunate that family services isn't helping - that's what they are supposed to be doing. My only other suggestion is the Military Ombudsman office, mdh

The whole situation is very unfortunate, but realistically, it doesn't have anything to do with the military.  The military is not responsible for the member making child support payments.  Until there is a court order, the military will not garnish his wages. 

sorry for sidetracking this post by any means, but I have always wondered what JAG's pay rate's start out at? I asked my recruiter way back when and he couldn't answer...

I'm applying for Legal Officer and am advised that the DEO selection board for this occupation sits on May 1, 2005, following which, those selected applicants will be further interviewed by JAG; presumably offers are extended to the applicants after a successful interview. If this is incorrect I would appreciate being advised. I am further advised that all of my documents are in and I am merit listed, however I have not done the PT test yet nor have my medicals been sent to Borden. In a previous post I read that everything had to be in to be considered at the selection board. The recruiting centre I'm attending has never had a legal officer applicant and as such cannot provide a whole lot of answers to specific questions.

I understand that the numbers being sought for the BOTC in September of this year are 20 (see http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/26025.0.html ); inclusive of 6 unfilled positions from last year. I have scoured the forum in search of any and all information dealing with JAG however, it's slim pickings. The specific questions I have are: How many people typically apply for this position? How come over 25% of the yearly target is a roll over from last year? Is 20 a lot of positions,it seems so incomparison to other trades, with the exception of infantry and pilots? How many positions were being offered last year?   I understand the SLT needs to be BBB to pass; is this typical of all SLT. What training is involved following SLT and I assume there is no "battle school" for JAG so is it OJT? Why so many positions available for JAG Officers? Is the attrition rate high? I have probably a few other questions together with other questions that might arise out of any answers I get however, thats another post.

I spent three years with the 3 Batt PPCLI from 88-91, a big hello to any with that unit.

The first post was placed under, "The Recruiting Process" - this board may be more relevant.

I'm applying for Legal Officer and am advised that the DEO selection board for this occupation sits on May 1, 2005, following which, those selected applicants will be further interviewed by JAG; presumably offers are extended to the applicants after a successful interview. If this is incorrect I would appreciate being advised. I am further advised that all of my documents are in and I am merit listed, however I have not done the PT test yet nor have my medicals been sent to Borden. In a previous post I read that everything had to be in to be considered at the selection board. The recruiting centre I'm attending has never had a legal officer applicant and as such cannot provide a whole lot of answers to specific questions.

I understand that the numbers being sought for the BOTC in September of this year are 20 (see http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/26025.0.html ); inclusive of 6 unfilled positions from last year. I have scoured the forum in search of any and all information dealing with JAG however, it's slim pickings. The specific questions I have are: How many people typically apply for this position? How come over 25% of the yearly target is a roll over from last year? Is 20 a lot of positions,it seems so incomparison to other trades, with the exception of infantry and pilots? How many positions were being offered last year?  I understand the SLT needs to be BBB to pass; is this typical of all SLT. What training is involved following SLT and I assume there is no "battle school" for JAG so is it OJT? Why so many positions available for JAG Officers? Is the attrition rate high? I have probably a few other questions together with other questions that might arise out of any answers I get however, thats another post.

I spent three years with the 3 Batt PPCLI from 88-91, a big hello to any with that unit.

Your file is sent to Borden and is reviewed by the Legal Branch and they are interested in you then you are invited to Ottawa for a JAG interview and if they still like you then you get an offer.  Typically 40-50 will apply for 20 postions.  Usually lawyers with experience get chosen.

Normally the intake for Legal is low.

Check the following website it might answer some of your questions:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/jag/office/default_e.asp

I have not done the PT test yet nor have my medicals been sent to Borden.

So much for standardized processing.

Thanks kincanucks, from what I've read on various posts, you are the resident guru of all things dealing with recruiting. Much appreciated.

What does the carry over from last year mean - is it that X people did not pass their training and those spots are carried over to next year, or is it that they were never filled or perhaps a combination thereof.

I've been practising for approximately six years - would that make me a typical applicant?

I'm sure these questions may seem trite but the military is not like the "law firm down the road". When I entered the infantry, it was about 2 months from the day I applied I was shipped to Cornwalis to sit in front of the local deaf and blind barber; much more simple than this. 

Cheers, and thanks for any information or opinion you can provide.

Back