• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberals Want Injured to Keep Getting Danger Pay Back in Canada

I still can't agree with this ALOA thing. IT means all three services will get it when sent home.  If I'm floating around in the Gulf Iranians like too point Missiles at the ship.  In the CF's mind that constitutes danger pay.  If I roll the wrong way and fall out of the third bunk and hurt my back I would go home and get this ALOA.  If I go home I would just be happy to get home and I wouldn't expect to keep my pay.  Its an Allowance no one should base a budget off of it.  Its like Sea pay.  If I loose my Sea pay after getting hurt and have to stay ashore for a few months should I get this too??  I Know these guys are coming home in allot of cases really messed up and they probably thought after 6 months they could come home and buy a house with all the extra cash.  Crap happens I will never rely on Sea pay or include it in my monthly Budget and Foreign Service pay should be the same thing.

Instead of doing all this they should expedite the Med Pension and give real consideration for a lump sum payout that doesn't insult injured troops.  $250000 is nothing if you can't walk, loose your sight or what ever.  The only reason the feds change anything is to save money.  They are saving money by giving everyone a set amount.  I dislocated my shoulder on watch.  Tore a tendon needed surgery and the joint will never be the same.  I don't know how long it takes you guys to get answers but its going on 1 1/2 for me.  I'm luckey I'm still functional and can do my job. 

:cdn:

Kiwi99 said:
The Ptes and Cpls in todays army joined for the reason of going to Afghanistan and fighting a war and killing the enemy.  that is what makes them different from other soldiers.  They haven't been polluted by the peacekeeping myth.

When i joined the engineers back in 1993, i was not "polluted" by peacekeeping.  I joined the military to fight, nothing else. The only thing that diferentiates me from soldiers today is that there is a war on now. Plain and simple.

When I speak of being polluted by the peacekeeping myth, I will break it down for you.  The young soldiers of today know little of what happened in yogo or cyprus back in the day.  While the media was broadcasting how great and noble peacekeeping was, these dude and dudettes were at school, or out playing sports.  How many kids would rather hit a hockey puck than watch the news.  Therefore, their minds havent been polluted by the peacekeeping dilema.  Many only joined after sept 11 so that they could go to war, and when the war is over they will be gone again.
So for those that are offended by the pollution comment, this is what it means.

What is your assessment of today's leadership, considering many of them have been polluted by peacekeeping?

dileas

tess

The soldiers that fight in Afghanistan today are different from soldiers of other wars and peacekeeping missions.

You don't suppose that soldiers from previous wars thought that about the ones that came before them?
muskrat89 - the poster

This thread is teetering on the brink of a 24-hour timeout.
muskrat89 - the Staff

Kiwi99 said:
The young soldiers of today know little of what happened in yogo or cyprus back in the day.  While the media was broadcasting how great and noble peacekeeping was, these dude and dudettes were at school, or out playing sports.  How many kids would rather hit a hockey puck than watch the news.  Therefore, their minds havent been polluted by the peacekeeping dilema.  Many only joined after sept 11 so that they could go to war, and when the war is over they will be gone again. So for those that are offended by the pollution comment, this is what it means.

Generalizations (young soldiers of today, kids and many) don't always make good fodder for arguments.  Some of these soldiers have post-secondary education, and read (or at least delivered) newspapers. 

Let me give an example.  A couple of days after we had 4KIA and 10WIA from my platoon alone, a very senior leader in theater, explained to us how it was trajic that we had lost these men, but to remember that these things happen in the "harder side of peacekeeping".

How do you suppose that went down with the crowd.

If I were a mod, I would have locked this thread.  I'm not a mod, so I can't. Again, I can only urge to all to refrain from posting.  Remember, in an internet argument, nobody wins.  The points are made, counterpoints are made, and so it goes, ad infinitum, until perhaps someone makes a reference to Hitler and/or Nazism, and proves right the Absurdio ad Hilterum of internet chats.
The policy has been implemented by the government.  That's a fact.  Anything beyond that is either opinion or speculation and nothing anyone says here or elsewhere will change things.

So, again, let's all stop doing this:

:deadhorse:

Locked until tomorrow, at the earliest.

Army.ca Staff

The Canforgen is out on this now:

R 081951Z MAR 07
FM NDHQ CMP OTTAWA
TO CANFORGEN
BT
NATO UNCLAS CANFORGEN 050/07 CMP 019
SIC WWA
SECTION 1 OF 2
SUBJ: ALLOWANCE - LOSS OF OPERATIONAL ALLOWANCES (ALOA)
BILINGUAL MESSAGE/MESSAGE BILINGUE
REFS: A. COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS INSTRUCTION (CBI) 210.536
B. CBI 10.3.04(9)
C. CBI CHAPTER 205
1. THE PURPOSE OF THIS MESSAGE IS TO CONFIRM THE CREATION OF A NEW
ALLOWANCE, EFFECTIVE 1 JAN 06, FOR CF MEMBERS WHO ARE MEDICALLY
REPATRIATED FROM AN OPERATION AS A RESULT OF WOUNDS, INJURIES, OR
ILLNESSES INCURRED AS A RESULT OF THE CONDITIONS OR ACTIVITIES
IN-THEATRE.  THIS NEW POLICY, WHICH IS DEFINED AT REF A, REFLECTS A
SPECIFIC DEFINITION OF MILITARY CASUALTY
2. CURRENTLY, CF MEMBERS SERVING IN OPERATIONS RECEIVE VARIOUS
MONTHLY OPERATIONAL ALLOWANCES FOR THE DURATION OF THEIR DEPLOYMENT.
HOWEVER, WHEN A MEMBER IS HOSPITALIZED AND/OR A DECISION IS TAKEN
THAT THE MEMBER MUST BE REPATRIATED AS A RESULT OF HIS/HER MEDICAL
CONDITION, THEN OPERATIONAL ALLOWANCES CEASE
3.  AS A RESULT OF THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE ALOA ALLOWANCE, A
MEMBER WHO IS REPATRIATED FOR MEDICAL REASONS MAY BE ENTITLED TO THE
NEW ALLOWANCE, EFFECTIVE THE DATE THAT CURRENT OPERATIONAL
ALLOWANCES CEASE TO A DATE THAT COINCIDES WITH THE ORIGINAL
DEPLOYMENT END-DATE
4. THIS ALLOWANCE APPLIES ONLY TO INTERNATIONAL OPERATIONS
5. FOR THE PURPOSE OF ALOA, A MILITARY CASUALTY IS A MEMBER OF THE
CF WHO BECOMES INJURED AS A RESULT OF HOSTILE ACTION(S) OR BECOMES
ILL AS A DIRECT RESULT OF THE CONDITIONS OF THE DEPLOYMENT TO A
DEGREE THAT REQUIRES THE MEMBER TO BE REPATRIATED FROM THEATRE.
NOTE THAT INHERENT IN THIS DEFINITION ARE INJURIES THAT ARE A DIRECT
RESULT OF THE PERFORMANCE OF REQUIRED MILITARY DUTIES NECESSARY FOR
THE SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF THE ASSIGNED MISSION
6. ELIGIBILITY FOR ALOA IS TO BE CONFIRMED BY THE TASK FORCE
COMMANDER ON THE RTU MSG
7. THE NEW ALLOWANCE IS A MONTHLY RATE WHICH IS DETERMINED BASED ON
THE FOLLOWING:
A. SUM OF A MEMBERS MONTHLY ALLOWANCE PAID UNDER THE AUTHORITY OF
REFS B AND C THAT WERE CEASED UPON NOTIFICATION OF THEIR EARLY
REPATRIATION
B. A MONTHLY AMOUNT OF EIGHT HUNDRED AND SIXTY FIVE DOLLARS IN LIEU
OF THE TAX RELIEF RECEIVED UNDER PART 1 OF THE INCOME TAX ACT FOR
QUALIFIED MEMBERS AND
C. BOTH AMOUNTS ARE MULTIPLIED BY A FACTOR OF ONE POINT THREE FIVE
PERCENT
8. THE INTRODUCTION OF THIS ALLOWANCE APPROPRIATELY COMPENSATES CF
MEMBERS WHO ARE REPATRIATED FROM INTERNATIONAL OPERATIONS FOR
MEDICAL REASONS, MITIGATES THE BURDEN FACED BY MEMBERS AND THEIR
FAMILIES WHEN OTHER OPERATIONAL ALLOWANCES CEASE, AND RECOGNIZES IN
A SATISFACTORY MANNER THE LOSS OF OPERATIONAL ALLOWANCES
9. ADMINISTRATION OF THIS ALLOWANCE WILL BE THE TOPIC OF A SEPARATE
AIG MESSAGE TO BE ISSUED BY DAPPP.  CBI ON THIS ALLOWANCE WILL BE
AVAILABLE ON THE FOLLOWING DGCB INTRANET WEB-SITE:
HTTP://HR.3OTTAWA-HULL.MIL.CA/DGCB/DPPD/ALLOWANCE/ENGRAPH/ALLOWTAB(U
UNDERSCORE)E.ASP?SIDESECTIONE(EQUAL)3(AMPERSAND)SIDECAT(EQUAL)30
10. QUERIES REGARDING THE ADMINISTRATION/PROCESSING OF PAYMENTS MAY
BE DIRECTED TO:
A. POLICY - DIRECTOR PAY POLICY DEVELOPMENT (DPPD) 5, MAJ R.
FORCIER, AT 613-995-1949, CPO1 J. MONTPETIT, DPPD 5-2, AT
613-995-5348, OR CAPT M. DUPONT, DPPD 5-3, AT 613-995-8719 AND
B. MILITARY PAY POLICY AND PROCEDURES, DIRECTOR ACCOUNTS
PROCESSING, PAY AND PENSIONS, CAPT D. DEGREVE, AT 613-995-8398 OR
PO1 T. MCCARTHY, AT 613-995-8638
END OF ENGLISH TEST/

I had a soldier returned to Canada for injuries.  Just over a month later he arrived back in Afghanistan as his own replacement.  Be interested to hear how ALOA accomodates these situations.

MCG, If he was injured in combat and returned he received his full allowances for the time he missed from cessation of them till they restarted again. There were 2 persons in my company who were wounded and returnted to finish the tour and they both received the allowances they were entitled to.

Back