• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Living outside geographical boundaries?

Veovius

Inactive
Reaction score
I just got posted, but I'm finding lots of houses just outside of my base's geographical boundaries.  Does anyone know what a memo to live outside the area looks like?

Like a regular memo?  I am being facetious but there it isn't anything special to add.  Just ask in your memo for permission to live outside the geographic boundaries.  Your CoC will probably be amazed they were asked as I have seen many a folk move outside the boundaries without asking.

However, if you want the Crown to pay for stuff (moving costs, closing costs, etc), you need to ask...

Anyway, a regular memo stating what you want, why and how you intend to overcome any obstacles created by you being outside the geographical boundries should suffice.

I'm currently looking at this myself, it is a two stage process the first is obtaining permission (by memo) from the CO of the gaining unit, the second is getting authority from DCBA, as Pusser laid out there are a few benefits that hinge on that approval, like move a public expense. Also if authorised you are entitled to commuting allowance at high rate in excess of 16km each way.

I got my memo to my CO approved for living outside of the geographical boundaries, and I submitted my memo to DCBA requesting to move my F&E outside of the boundaries.  I was told the DCBA memo would take 16-24 months to approve, but the CWO at the OR had signing authority if it was getting too close to the move.

Not_So_Arty_Newbie said:
I'm currently looking at this myself, it is a two stage process the first is obtaining permission (by memo) from the CO of the gaining unit, the second is getting authority from DCBA, as Pusser laid out there are a few benefits that hinge on that approval, like move a public expense. Also if authorised you are entitled to commuting allowance at high rate in excess of 16km each way.

Not quite.  Commuting assistance only applies to specific places of duty (approved by the Minister) that are not within 16 road kilometres of a suitable residential community and which are not served by public transportation.  After that, the allowance is restricted to the road distance between the worksite and the member's residence or the centre of the nearest suitable residential community, whichever is closer.  In and of itself, choosing to live outside the geographic boundary of your place of duty does not qualify you for commuting assistance.  It is worth noting that there aren't very many bases that fit the criteria.  CBI 209.28 refers.

Back