• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

llegal Asylum Seekers - Goats and news sources (Split topic)

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
Where does Canada house its illegals ?At least in Texas its a bit warmer locale. Of course its supposed to be temporary.Obama built a number of camps around the country perhaps some could be used to house illegals until their deportation ?

tomahawk6 said:
Where does Canada house its illegals ?

In five star hotels, where they ruin the tourist industry, ruin the real estate and from some reports, butcher goats in the washrooms and ghettoize whole floors. Those properties will never be the same.

Living in a hotel free of cost is a pretty good deal. Beats a tent in Arizona.

tomahawk6 said:
Living in a hotel free of cost is a pretty good deal. Beats a tent in Arizona.

Except the taxpayer is picking up the cost. Both Ontario and Quebec have asked the feds to ante up the millions they owe the provinces for this. I could be wrong, but I don't believe the feds have even addressed the issue with them yet. Just ignoring it and kicking it down the road.

Fishbone Jones said:
In five star hotels, where they ruin the tourist industry, ruin the real estate and from some reports, butcher goats in the washrooms and ghettoize whole floors. Those properties will never be the same.

Just wondering if you have any sources for that?  I'm not questioning you, I'm just curious to see any media stories about the above.  (Where on earth would people being housed in Toronto even get a goat?  How would they get it in the hotel without someone asking about it?  etc)

Not disagreeing with you - just wondering if you had anything specific you were referring to? 

I just spent less than 5 minutes with google and was able to identify one of the hotels having issues where they are now blocking reviews on TripAdvisor (talk about censorship)

I don't feel like having legal action taken against me (or bringing any against this site) - so use google and figure it out.

CBH99 said:
Just wondering if you have any sources for that? 

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/levy-irregular-migrants-continue-to-flock-into-toronto

Spectrum said:
I just spent less than 5 minutes with google and was able to identify one of the hotels having issues where they are now blocking reviews on TripAdvisor (talk about censorship)

I don't feel like having legal action taken against me (or bringing any against this site) - so use google and figure it out.

With all this talk about goats in hotels one would think that it was a thread about a certain Francophone infantry regiment rather than one about the US presidency.

I did use google (terms - Toronto hotels goats; there are actually some properties near the city where you can interact with goats during your stay) and unless your google is different than mine, all the scant few hits seem to be based on scurrilous repeats of the same unsubstantiated reporting column of a single journalist reporter columnist who apparently has a reputation for being somewhat partisan.

It's discussed here.
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ishmaeldaro/sue-ann-levy-toronto-hotel-goat-slaughter-fact-check

So all these other news outlets ran the story without fact checking it or being skeptical of the report when they saw the author's name. Got it.

Blackadder1916 said:
It's discussed here.
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ishmaeldaro/sue-ann-levy-toronto-hotel-goat-slaughter-fact-check

Looks like the animal slaughtering claim was seen online by a lot of people,

The Toronto Sun piece was a big hit online, attracting more than 13,000 shares, comments, and reactions on Facebook. Prominent anti-Muslim influencer Amy Mekelburg tweeted the article to her 230,000 followers, as did white nationalist YouTuber Faith Goldy; both highlighted the dubious goat anecdote in their tweets.

The goat slaughtering claim was also picked up by a range of far-right and anti-Muslim websites. The conspiracy outlet Infowars published a report headlined "Toronto: Migrants Housed In Hotel 'Slaughtered Goats' In Public Bathrooms" that received more than 7,000 Facebook engagements. Websites including Bare Naked Islam, YourNewsWire, and Mad World News — which regularly publish incendiary anti-Muslim articles — cited Levy's Toronto Sun column in their write-ups. Racist 4chan and Reddit forums also discussed the column, emphasizing the false goat slaughtering claim.

Neither Levy nor Toronto Sun editor Adrienne Batra responded to a BuzzFeed News request for comment.

END QUOTE

Fishbone Jones said:
So all these other news outlets ran the story without fact checking it or being skeptical of the report when they saw the author's name. Got it.

What "all these other news outlets"?  My google brings up Infowars, Reddit, Toronto Sun (the original suspect column), The Rebel and the Buzzfeed article (that I previously linked) refuting the story.  All these other "news" outlets either specifically refer to the Sun column or the language used appear to be a direct quote of same.  If you know of any other news outlet that independently of the Sun columnist investigated and ran the story, I would be most interested.

Edited to add.

Since the turn this thread has taken may have a tendency to become a real goatf**k, maybe the mods may wish to split it off (where hopefully it will die an appropriate death) so that the thread stays on topic, broad though that may be.

Attachments

• google toronto hotel goats.jpg
    google toronto hotel goats.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 240
Blackadder1916 said:
What "all these other news outlets"?  My google brings up Infowars, Reddit, Toronto Sun (the original suspect column), The Rebel and the Buzzfeed article (that I previously linked) refuting the story. /quote]

Funny - the Reddit one is metacanada, which is known for being right wing on par with Rebel. 

But come on, wouldn't someone not notice a goat being taken into a hotel without the front desk folks questioning it?

Buzzfeed News.......

Accuracy and reliability
In October 2014, a Pew Research Center survey found that in the United States, BuzzFeed was viewed as an unreliable source by the majority of people, regardless of political affiliation. Adweek noted that most respondents had not heard of BuzzFeed, and many users do not consider BuzzFeed a news site.[81] In a subsequent Pew report based on 2014 surveys, BuzzFeed was among the least trusted sources by millennials. A 2016 study by the Columbia Journalism Review found readers less likely to trust a story (originally published in Mother Jones) that appeared to originate on BuzzFeed than the same article on The New Yorker website.

In 2013, Buzzfeed named "My Lips are for Blowing" as one of "21 Awkwardly Sexual Albums"; the Museum of Hoaxes subsequently reported there was no such album and that the image of the album used in the Buzzfeed article had been lifted from a 2010 fictitious album cover design created by a blogger going by the name Estancia de la Ding Dong.

Plagiarism

Benny Johnson was fired from BuzzFeed in July 2014 for plagiarism
BuzzFeed has been accused of plagiarizing original content from competitors throughout the online and offline press. In June 2012, Gawker's Adrian Chen observed that one of BuzzFeed's most popular writers—Matt Stopera—frequently had copied and pasted "chunks of text into lists without attribution." In March 2013, The Atlantic Wire also reported several "listicles" had apparently been copied from Reddit and other websites. In July 2014, BuzzFeed writer Benny Johnson was accused of multiple instances of plagiarism. Two anonymous Twitter users chronicled Johnson attributing work that was not his own, but "directly lift[ed] from other reporters, Wikipedia, and Yahoo! Answers", all without credit. BuzzFeed editor Ben Smith initially defended Johnson, calling him a "deeply original writer". Days later, Smith acknowledged that Johnson had plagiarized the work of others 40 times and announced that Johnson had been fired, and apologized to BuzzFeed readers. "Plagiarism, much less copying unchecked facts from Wikipedia or other sources, is an act of disrespect to the reader", Smith said. "We are deeply embarrassed and sorry to have misled you." In total, 41 instances of plagiarism were found and corrected. In 2016, claims surfaced of the YouTube channel BuzzFeedVideo stealing ideas and content from other creators. Among the accusers are YouTube users Akilah Obviously, Cr1TiKaL(penguinz0) and JaclynGlenn.

BuzzFeed has been the subject of multiple copyright infringement lawsuits, for both using content it had no rights to and encouraging its proliferation without attributing its sources: one for an individual photographer's photograph, and another for nine celebrity photographs from a single photography company.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BuzzFeed complete with references........

Just sayin....

Cheers
Larry

Larry Strong said:
Buzzfeed News.......

I don't trust Buzzfeed as far as I can throw them either - it's all clickbait - but that doesn't change the fact that the ones spreading this article are all right-wing. 

Dimsum said:
- but that doesn't change the fact that the ones spreading this article are all right-wing.

One is even running for mayor,
https://twitter.com/FaithGoldy/status/1047604778325299206

mariomike said:
One is even running for mayor,
https://twitter.com/FaithGoldy/status/1047604778325299206

Not if Bell Canada can help it.

Beside sacrificing animals in Canada isn't illegal.

Faith is just one of 35 candidates registered to run.

Compared to Mayor Tory, and former Chief City Planner Keesmaat, her ranking is very low in the opinion polls,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_mayoral_election,_2018#Opinion_polls

Jarnhamar said:
Beside sacrificing animals in Canada isn't illegal.

Learn something new every day.  :)

Dimsum said:
I don't trust Buzzfeed as far as I can throw them either - it's all clickbait - but that doesn't change the fact that the ones spreading this article are all right-wing.

No arguments here. Levy does have interesting editorials at times....as for the Rebel.....

Cheers
Larry

Oh great.  I'm sure this won't be an issue - weird how it's the same hotel that apparently "goat sacrifices" were held.  ::)

Police release images of suspect in arson at hotel housing refugees

Emergency crews were called to the Radisson Hotel near Highway 401 and Victoria Park Avenue on Oct. 2

Toronto police need help to identify a woman they believe may have been involved in an arson at a hotel that is home to refugees.

Back on Oct. 2, emergency were called to the Radisson Hotel at 55 Hallcrown Place, in the Highway 401 and Victoria Park Avenue area, shortly after 10:30 p.m.

Police quickly evacuated the hotel and put out the blaze, which an investigation later determined was started on the third floor. The fire was "started intentionally," police said in a news release issued early Friday.

A gas can was discovered on fire in a hallway. The hotel's smoke alarm alerted an employee, who was able to kick the can into the stairwell.

No one was injured.

One refugee from Sudan who is staying at the hotel with her husband and eight-month-old daughter, told CBC's The Current this week that the ordeal was "like a nightmare." The Current agreed not to reveal the woman's identity out of concern for the family's safety.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/police-release-images-of-suspect-in-arson-at-hotel-housing-refugees-1.4860111

Back