• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Locks for Barrack Box / Kit Bags

BorisK

Inactive
Reaction score
Getting the feeling that the basic high school locker combination locks that I've been using up until now might not be the smartest thing to have on my follow-on kit box (Big Brown Pelican Case) that's loaded with some decent kit.

Was planning on using them because it saves me needing to carry keys, but I'm guessing its also a good way to get my stuff stolen or the lock damaged by weather / impact when loading in and out of trucks.

Your experiences / suggestions would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance as I know this is a rather boring post.

-B

Lots of guys use combo locks because it's harder to lock keys in your locker and then have to request the Master Key (bolt cutters).

It's also harder to lose keys, if you don't use them in the first place.

Lots of guys also use key locks. To each their own.

If you're actually carrying serialized kit in your MOB box, then by all means, get a heavy duty lock to keep it secure. Otherwise it's totally up to you.

It's your kit, so keep it as secure as you're comfortable, whether it's combo or keyed locks.

I used a keyed lock on my barracks box, a million years ago, and I used to tape one of the spare keys to the bottom half, the detachable portion, of my ID disk (dog tag). That would be my emergency key, I kept the usual use key on my keychain.

The only issue I had with combination locks was that it's more sh!t to remember. Decades ago I bought a set of four locks which provided eight identical keys. One in the wallet, one on the ID disks, one on the car keys, and one at work, still leaves you four keys. If you lose all eight, then you're probably past any help we can give you.  ;D

I buy these Master locks or ones very similar at Crappy Tire.  They fit the brown ICBs and duffle bags (I don't have or use a MOB box as no CAL will take them).  2 sets of 3 (2 per ICB) gives me 2 ICBs and 2 duffle bags worth of locks and 2 keys to worry about.  Aside from them freezing up a little (I also use them on my outside locks for my shed, snowblower, etc) I've had zero issues with them.

Yup, and they are called ICBs;  I was issued 2 of those vice the MOB; no commercial airliner will accept the MOBs.  (ICB=Individual Combat Box, made by Pelican)  :nod:

Attachments

• ICB.JPG
    ICB.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,310
Eye In The Sky said:
Yup, and they are called ICBs;  I was issued 2 of those vice the MOB.  (ICB=Individual Combat Box, made by Pelican)  :nod:

Seen

Eye In The Sky said:
no commercial airliner will accept the MOBs.

False, I have flown twice with my MOB with WestJet, was charged the oversized fee in one case but had no issues otherwise.

MilEME09 said:
False, I have flown twice with my MOB with WestJet, was charged the oversized fee in one case but had no issues otherwise.

I think the issue wasn't with a Canadian domestic carrier, but with some international ones. 

Dimsum said:
I think the issue wasn't with a Canadian domestic carrier, but with some international ones.

Ya, I can't remember where I read it...could have been the CJIO, something from the SOR...I can't recall 100%.  But it did state the MOB was not to be used as it is not accepted on CALs.

If Jo Blow militia guy can get away with it in Canada, great.  But it makes more sense to use ICBs, etc and the tax payer not have to pay for extra baggage/weight fees.  On SF the MOB isn't an issue but we don't always get that..."luxury". 

Back