• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Looking for reading materials on Chechnya

scoutfinch

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good book suggestion on Chechnya, Ingushetia, Georgia, Dagestan etc. 

I am looking for both current analysis as well as historical commentary, preferably with as little bias as possible. (I know I am asking a lot!)

You'll have a real time finding unbaised chechen stuff.

Almost anything at all has a severe "YAY for Al-qaeda in Chechnya...Praise be to suicide bombing fanatics" Bias.

"My Jihad" by Aukai Collins is a personal acount of an American fighting the Jihad in Chechnya. It is definately not un-biased though.

Very few if any good books on Chechnya but there are by doing an internet search several good staff papers on this area.

N. N. Novichkov, V. Ya. Snegovskiy, A. G. Sokolov and V. Yu. Shvarev, Rossiyskie vooruzhennye sily v chechenskom konflikte: Analiz, Itogi, Vyvody [Russian armed force in the Chechen conflict: Analysis, outcomes and conclusions], Moscow: Kholveg-Infoglob-Trivola, 1995, 138-139. For the same period of time, forward-support Russian maintenance personnel repaired 217 armored vehicles, while depot maintenance repaired another 404 armored vehicles according to Sergey Maev and Sergey Roshchin, "STO v Grozny" [Technical Maintenance Stations in Grozny]

Armeyskiy sbornik [Army digest], December 1995, 58. These were not all combat-induced losses, but it seems to indicate that 846 of 2221 armored vehicles (38%) were out of action for some period of time during the two-month battle for Grozny.

and
RUSSIA IN AFGHANISTAN AND CHECHNYA: MILITARY STRATEGIC CULTURE AND THE PARADOXES OF ASYMMETRIC CONFLICT
http://www.strategicstudiesinstitute.army.mil/pdffiles/PUB125.pdf#search=%22%20RUSSIAN%20TANKS%20AFGHANISTAN%20gRAU%20LESTER%22

Thomas, Timothy , “The Caucasus Conflict and Russian Security: The Russian Armed Forces Confront Chechnya, Part III,” Fort
Leavenworth, KS: FMSO, 1997.

Finch, Raymond , “Why the Russian Military Failed in Chechnya,” Fort Leavenworth, KS: FMSO, 1997

Celestan, Gregory J. , “Wounded Bear: The Ongoing Russian Military Operation in Chechnya,” Fort Leavenworth, KS: FMSO, 1996

some but I would prefer English or French so I can finish it in this lifetime.

Back