• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

lost military id card

mondo

Inactive
Reaction score
so, here goes a story of a friend of mine in the reserves. he lost his wallet, about 6 months ago with his miltary ID card in it. Now they want to replace his "lost" card, and he hasn't told anyone about his loss. Now they are going to charge him if he doesnt produce his lost/stolen card, in order to recieve his new one. what can he do?

He/she needs to accept responsibility for his/her action of not reporting the loss of the ID Card. CFAO 26-3 Identification Cards states:

LOSS, THEFT OR DAMAGE29.     When a form CAFIB 20 or 22 is lost, stolen or damaged:
    a.    the loss, theft or damage shall be reported by the member within
          24 hours of the occurrence, to the base or unit security officer;

b.    Annex A shall be completed in triplicate and distributed as
          indicated in the Annex;

c.    the loss, theft or damage shall be investigated by the military
          police if the unit security officer deems such action is
          warranted;

d.    if entitlement exists, a replacement I Card shall be issued; and

e.    if the findings of the investigation indicate that the loss or
          damage was caused or contributed to by wilfulness or negligence-

(1)   in the case of members of the CF, the CO shall consider
               whether the loss or damage was the result of a willful or
               negligent act on the part of the cardholder. If this is
               deemed to be the case, the CO may authorize an
               administrative deduction of $25.00 pursuant to QR&O,
               Chapter 38 to offset the cost of a replacement I Card. This
               does not preclude disciplinary action by the CO, and

(2)   in the case of Allied Forces personnel and their dependants,
               no disciplinary or administrative action will be taken.

Accepting personal responsibility is one of the key factors in learning to become an effective leader. Small pain now may save your "friend" a great deal of pain in the future. Encourage your "friend" to report it to the MPs or Unit Security Officer, complete with all the circumstances of the loss and his/her explanation of why he/she has failed to report it to date.

Good luck.   :salute:

Take his lumps. It's his responsibility to report lost/stolen/destroyed DND ID.  If he reported his drivers license, bank and credit cards as missing, why not his mil ID?

Going on 6 months without informing his chain of command he deserves what he gets. What he did was attributed to a major security violation and in this day and age PERSEC has become even more crucial. Personally I hope he gets the boot.

Doesn't matter who it is, the fact is that the loss of a members ID card is a significant thing.  I try to explain that to my troops that you think you may be protecting yourself by not reporting it and hoping you'll find it, but in that 6 months of inactivity, someone may have had the chance to use that ID in a malicious manner. 

Had it been "red-flagged" as soon as it was lost, then Pte. Bloggings (who is really a terrorist with a stoled I card) wouldn't have access to NDHQ or other areas.  That's why we report things like that.. to protect ourselves and the people we work with.

Good luck.

And besides all the legal and security issues, people lose thier ID cards occasionally. A missing ID card may get you in a small bit of trouble, BUT

reporting it immediately is the responsible thing to do! Be an adult and admit your mistake.

If I read that, the worst that'll happen is a 25$ fine. I've had more for less.

Well you read it wrong. He can have a deduction of $25.00 to pay for a new card. This does not include what he could be fined if he's charged. Not to mention the record upon conviction.

...like a 129 for not reporting it immediately.

Although it is chargeable, whether or not he does the hatless dance depends on how charge happy his CO is. He'll probably have to fill out an affidavit stating that he lost his card, and he'll have to do some fancy talking to explain why it took him 6 months to report it. It has been my experience that we don't take this thing too seriously.

Jumper said:
It has been my experience that we don't take this thing too seriously.
-or-
Given the times we live in, maybe his CO will decide it's about time someone did.

I can't believe that he hasn't used his ID Card in six months +.  :salute:

This person should be doing the hat-less dance and the base he gained access to should have their SOP's reviewed and updated.

If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem!

had he or she reported it within 24 to 48  hours of it happening it would not be a big deal. I lost mine, i got ripped a new one by the MasterSeaman in the office,  The Admin Officer laughed at me and told me better not do it again. The MP who had reissue me a new ID card was not very happy i lost it all within 3 days of getting it. 
I would be more worried that  someone has turned it in and it is waiting at the unit to be given back and the secruity officer is waiting to see how it takes the person to fess up.
Turn your lost kit report in now and deal with the cost and possible charges before you get too deep

Had it been "red-flagged" as soon as it was lost, then Pte. Bloggings (who is really a terrorist with a stoled I card) wouldn't have access to NDHQ or other areas.
An ID Card is not a pass, its just that, an "Identification Card", I could be wrong but....I'm sure that one must have a pass to gain access to building such as this? A certain large glass building in Winnipeg, you have to have a pass to enter.
and the base he gained access to should have their SOP's reviewed and updated.
I'm going to take a guess that this "friend" is in the militia, and parades at an armoury. I haven't been to too many armouries that require you to show your ID to get in, but I see your point, even if there are a some number of military instillation's that have an "Open Base" policy....

Blakey said:
I'm going to take a guess that this "friend" is in the militia, and parades at an armoury. I haven't been to too many armouries that require you to show your ID to get in, but I see your point, even if there are a some number of military instillation's that have an "Open Base" policy....
I've actually seen an Armoury that required ID's to be shown to gain access to the building a couple of years ago. Can't comment on it now as I've not been there for a year.

IMHO, no Military properties should have a "Open Base" policy. 100% ID checks should be mandatory from NDHQ to CFS Alert, including all Armouries!!!

IMHO, no Military properties should have a "Open Base" policy. 100% ID checks should be mandatory from NDHQ to CFS Alert, including all Armouries!!!
I agree totally, unfortunately though, I believe that goes part in parcel with the same old attitude as "It will never happen here!" (Terrorist attacks in Canada)...

Blakey said:
I agree totally, unfortunately though, I believe that goes part in parcel with the same old attitude as "It will never happen here!" (Terrorist attacks in Canada)...

It's not so much that "it will never happen here" as the odds of it happening in most places are so small that it's just not worth the staff time and aggravation of checking everyone's ID.  The Halifax dockyard, home to over half of the ships in the navy and quite a bit of supporting infrastructure, requires a different level of security from a small-town armoury which contains nothing of strategic value and is home to a unit all of whose members know one another.

It seems to me I have to show my ID Card any time I need to process a claim or any number of admin/med actions. Perhaps the Reserves move in different circles.  :salute:

I work in the US and you can't buy a jug of milk at the PX without an ID Card, let alone access the Base. Seems they have a different priority of security. As far as Armouries not being a strategic target I would agree but they probably would make a very good symbolic target.  :cdn:

Back