• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

LSVW Replacement

Darth_Hamel

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone know when the army will grace us with a replacement for the LSVW? If so what's the best option available. not that we're likely to get it, though I can't think of anything being worse than the LS :threat:. Would it be possible to do the job with an extended order of G-wagens and Milcots? I know the The Milcot can also hold as much as an LS, though there's the off road limitations. As far As I can make it the best replacement would be more G-wagens for the reg force, I must confess I have no experience with these vehicles, though the Brits ans Ausies use Range Rovers for their CP and Line roles effectively, which are about the same size as the G-wagen.  Personally I'd far prefer an un-f**d Milcot for the reserves as an LS replacement; with higher clearance, unexposed brakelines, no restrictive warranty and better tires.

Can anyone farmiliar with the G-Wagen tell me if say an extended a cargo version could do the LS's job? Or is there a better option out there?

Would venture to say that there would be any number of options for new LSVWs
including the original Italian vehicle upon which the current LSVW was designed and built..... the Cdn version built by a contractor who was going out of business is a shadow of the original design upon which it was selected.

A commercial pattern Pick up?..... we did pretty well with the CUCVs and the old 5/4s... but I imagine that we'll be expected to make do with what we got - for quite some time to come.

geo said:
Would venture to say that there would be any number of options for new LSVWs
including the original Italian vehicle upon which the current LSVW was designed and built..... the Cdn version built by a contractor who was going out of business is a shadow of the original design upon which it was selected.

A commercial pattern Pick up?..... we did pretty well with the CUCVs and the old 5/4s... but I imagine that we'll be expected to make do with what we got - for quite some time to come.

I've seen the original italian truck back in 99 and again last march in Sicily.......we dont want them.

Darth_Hamel said:
Does anyone know when the army will grace us with a replacement for the LSVW? If so what's the best option available. not that we're likely to get it,
I may have missed it but when was it anounced that the LSVW was being replaced ? I thought for sure we were stuck with it for a long time...look at how long we used the old 5/4.....

aesop081 said:
I may have missed it but when was it anounced that the LSVW was being replaced ? I thought for sure we were stuck with it for a long time...look at how long we used the old 5/4.....
They haven't

I had heard through the grapevine a couple of years back that they were to phased out, No new parts to purchased,cannibalize some to make others last, no replacements to be purchased, etc.

At least the brakes on the Italian version don't squeal!

Patrolman said:
At least the brakes on the Italian version don't squeal!

Every single Italian "LSVW" that was in NAS Sigonella had the same  squealing brakes ours do.  I even dicussed that fact with a few Italian Air Force personel at the International Party at the end of the EX

We've only had the LS for a decade. There might be something in the planning stage to replace them, but nothing past that. We still have buckets and buckets of spare parts for those things.

The problem with the "civy" pattern trucks (a la 5/4 ton and CUCV) would be the same as when they bid for the LS program. All three of the domestic automakers submitted dual wheel vehicles. At the time, the powers that be did not want a dual wheel design (for a couple of reasons, not all of them political), so they were SOL. The dual wheel was submitted because: a) they did not have to change their assembly lines, b) to handle the weight load required in the bid, and c) they would have made more money on such a sale instead of designing a brand new vehicle.

The original Italian version that we bought was based on a version of their line that was used for runway maintenance. It never leaves the tarmac. The Italian Army version is a completely different beast (got a chance to pop the hood on one in Kosovo). Don't know about performance, but it was an army vehicle, not some pansy ass green k-car.

We should not have fixed the grounding cable fault coming off of the starters. They would have all burned to the ground by now.

hehe.... they certainly were well on their way to rusting out - even before they were distributed to the units.

Seeing as how the CEV boxes came off of the 5/4's, I am amazed that the boxes have lasted this long with only two life extension projects. Pieces of crap. Stupid politicians. Close LETE!!!!!! because the stupid thing failed....... :rage:

Sorry, sorry, I'm alright now.                                          short-sighted, vote-buying, noncaring, ........... ninerdomestic tells me I have to stop now, my eye is starting to twitch.

Lets see, large capacity, good cross country performance, readily avaiable, good supply of spare parts and readily adaptable for many logistics and utility roles:

The AM General High Mobility Multipurpose Vehicle Wheeled!

Just got back from a US Army base in down south, with alot of impressionable Cdn's who just got qualified on the Humvee and they thought it was a piece of ****. Both US Army active duty(Regf) and their Reserves think the same. Possibily of too many pers getting injured/killed where the Cdn government will not send us

The brakes did not seem to squeal on the ones I saw in Sarejavo in 1999. But I never talked to the Italians personaly, so Aesop maybe you are right.

Replace the LS and ML with the appropriate size of FMTV.

Or we can try to stock parts for and maintain a large variety of trucks.

Pinzaugers or Unimogs is my first choice

GAZ made a knockoff armoured Hummer using a Cat diesel that looked promising, be a lot cheaper than some of the other options.

Just ask the British Army about their experience with civy pattern in military use, the RBR I think it was called, basically a 4x4 commercial van.

How about we replace all CP and radio vans with a newer version of Bison? that way we have some spares lying around.

So the army can grab them from the reserves like they did with everything else because the government forget to allow for attrition or unexpected overseas commitments.

We are going to be using our LAV’s at a rate that was unlikely planned for, plus increasing the size of the army, which will have even a greater demand. The fleet is going to need a rebuild in near future, where are the replacements coming from?

By equipping more units with the vehicles we need, you build “surge’ capacity into the system, rather than trickle and crisis management.

Colin P said:
How about we replace all CP and radio vans with a newer version of Bison? that way we have some spares lying around.

I don't think most Reserve Units can afford the maintenance upkeep of these vehicles, I know we can barely keep our fleet of vehicles off the VOR lines. Also to able to use these vehicles you must get people both on a D&M Course and a Crew Commanders Course other wise the vehicle is useless.

Reserves have run their own D&M and crew commander courses on AVGP and Bisons before.  Not a big deal.  Maintenance would be a problem.  However, this is not what this thread is about so............

Spanky
You are correct, there are lots of choice for 1-1 ½ ton vehicles to choose from, the question remains, do we buy off the shelf where they are made, perhaps with a trade agreement attached or have them made under licence here, which so far has not worked out all that well. I wonder if General Dynamics has the capacity to take on another vehicle contract? They seem to do a good job on the LAV and are used to working to milspec.

Back