• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MacKay vs O'Connor as MND (merged)

IN HOC SIGNO said:
Speculation piece on CTV last night said OConner, Mackay and Flaherty to get shuffled and Prentice likely to get a more high profile portfolio. I wonder why Laurie Hawn wouldn't be considered for MND?
Other than the fact that he does have a service (air) background, why would he rate over others?
A good MND to back up the CDS (and vice versa) is what we need.

Although I agree that those taking up ministerial positions should have some experience in the field, at times this can be a hindrance.  In the case of an MND, yes mil experience can be considered and asset.  However, because of the CF's structure wrt the CDS, this can get in the way.  If you get an MND with too much experience you run the risk of he and the CDS butting heads over how things should be run.  Just because they were run a certain way when the MND was in does not necessarily mean that same method would work today or is even appropriate.

I'm not saying this is the case between the current MND and CDS.  I've never worked closely with either, and one would have to see them work on issues together quite often to have the ability to come to that conclusion.  However, it does make one think when talking about who should be MND.

Provided the CDS is a strong person with a strong personality who can get their ideas through to the MND, then the Minister shouldn't need to have a whole bunch of (if any) military experience.

I was listening to Lewis McKenzie speak about the C-17, he did a good job, mentioning how we could have used it to fly the DART team straight to Sri-Lanka instead of mucking about as we did. He is an excellent public speaker and the press like him a lot. He also said that putting aside any comments in the media that if you look at O'Connor record in MND, it was very impressive how he has been able to get the contracts that he did and so quickly. How about a shared position? LM doing the speaking and O'Connor doing the heavy lifting?

Colin P said:
He also said that putting aside any comments in the media that if you look at O'Connor record in MND, it was very impressive how he has been able to get the contracts that he did and so quickly.

The impressive record will have to be marked with an "asterisk"... having bent all the rules to deliver the goods.
I don't dissagree with the delivered goods but, when considering that the current gov't, as the opposition, didn't help the process while it was 1st tabled... the methods aren't quite as satisfactory as 1st seen.

The way the government is currently set up, you have to bend the rules for anything to happen. We are currently 6 months through a process to hire someone for a 1 year postion that has 6 months left in it.  ::)

It's just been anncounced...  Peter MacKay to replace Gordon O'Connor.

O'Connor dropped from Defence
BRODIE FENLON AND JANE TABER

Globe and Mail Update

August 14, 2007 at 3:44 PM EDT

Gordon O'Connor has lost his job as Minister of Defence in a cabinet shuffle widely viewed as an attempt by Prime Minister Stephen Harper to reinvigorate Canada's politically sensitive mission in Afghanistan.

Mr. Harper will swear in Peter MacKay as the new Defence Minister at a ceremony this afternoon at Rideau Hall, while Mr. O'Connor moves to National Revenue.

Mr. MacKay leaves the Foreign Affairs portfolio, where he will be replaced by Maxime Bernier, a rising Quebec presence who served as the government's main French-language spokesman on its spring budget.

Mr. Bernier leaves Industry, replaced by former Indian Affairs Minister Jim Prentice.

More to come on the cabinet shuffle...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070814.wnewcabinet0814/BNStory/National/home

I like the move. Rightly or wrongly O'Connor was taking too much flak. MacKay has a lot of experience and his own power base so he should be a good fit.

I would think, however, that this means Hillier is gone if the Liberals regain power. A CDS who can unseat a MND can't be that desirable.

I like Peter Mackay.  He was my first choice to replace O'Connor.

I think Gordon O'Connor did a fairly good job.  I wish him good luck as Minister of Revenue.

stfx_monty said:
I like the move. Rightly or wrongly O'Connor was taking too much flak. MacKay has a lot of experience and his own power base so he should be a good fit.

I would think, however, that this means Hillier is gone if the Liberals regain power. A CDS who can unseat a MND can't be that desirable.

It's a big if at this point for the Libs to get back in. Interviewed last night on CTV, about a possible cabinet shuffle, all S. Dion could do was spout anti-American slogans and say that Harper et al are mini-Bushites.....is this really going to appeal to a majority of Canadians? The man looked a fool to me.

I read overall the Quebec vote:

Mr. Bernier's appointment from Industry to Foreign Affairs is seen by insiders as part of a larger emphasis by Mr. Harper on global economic productivity.

Mr. Bernier, 44, was instrumental in outlining the new softwood lumber agreement with the United States, and helped launch new Conservative attack ads against the Liberals.

It's a major step up on to the world stage for the member from Beauce, Que., who entered federal politics less than two years ago.

- Bev Oda has been demoted from Heritage to Minister of International Co-operation-Not bilingul, had issues giving money to Quebec in regard to various Hertiage and Social events, sponsorship anyone.

- Josée Verner moves from International Co-operation to Heritage.-see above

-But with only 14 women in his caucus, Mr. Harper has struggled to offset the gender gap at the cabinet table.- What happened to the "best person"

As for O'Conner that was a done deal.

Ruxted thanks Mr. O'Connor.
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/65184.0.html

stfx_monty said:

In what way did Gen Hillier "unseat" O'Connor?  Media spin and Mister O'Connor's foot in mouth disorder did it...the man did a great job, 22 Billion in needed kit, the largest output since WWII.

Keep in mind Hillier was brought into that position under a Lib government...one of the best decisions I think they in my opinion.

PS  As Ruxted said!

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070814/harper_cabinet_070814/20070814?hub=TopStories

Maxime Bernier, Peter MacKay and Jim Prentice have emerged as big winners in Prime Minister Stephen Harper's cabinet shuffle.

Bernier, a Quebec MP first elected in 2006, moves from industry to foreign affairs. He replaces MacKay, from Nova Scotia, who becomes defence minister.

MacKay replaces Gordon O'Connor, the retired general and Ontario MP who was seen as a poor communicator, particularly on the crucial Afghanistan file.

Prentice, an Alberta MP who is considered one of Harper's most able ministers, moves to the industry portfolio from Indian affairs.

Harper's Conservative minority government is expected to shift to a "second phase" with Wednesday's shuffle held at Rideau Hall in Ottawa. The prime minister is expected to prorogue Parliament, deliver a throne speech and move to a new agenda beyond the five priorities it touted in the 2006 election campaign.

Modernizing Canada's economy is going to be a key part of that agenda, which will make Industry a key portfolio.

Here are some other cabinet moves:

Saskatchewan MP Gerry Ritz becomes agriculture minister, having been a secretary of state for tourism. He replaces fellow Saskatchewan MP and Revenue Minister Carol Skelton, who has announced she won't run again.
O'Connor becomes revenue minister.
Another new face in cabinet is Alberta MP Diane Ablonczy, who replaces Ritz.
Current Agriculture Minister Chuck Strahl, a B.C. MP, becomes Indian Affairs minister.
Quebec MP Josee Verner becomes heritage minister, swapping jobs with Ontario's Bev Oda, who becomes international development minister.
Jim Flaherty will remain as finance minister, despite enduring a backlash for the government's decision to tax income trusts -- essentially breaking an earlier campaign promise.

Flaherty also came under fire for the government's new equalization formula, that Nova Scotia Premier Rodney MacDonald argued causes problems for the province's Atlantic Accord offshore deal.

MacDonald told The Canadian Press change at the ministry "wouldn't be such a bad thing."

Well, read em and weep. 

Gordon O'Connor is now the Revenue Minister..... ahhh.... one of ours, reaching into my pocket to get a share of my earnings
Peter Mackay as our new boss.... As a maritimer himself, the CDS shouldn't have too much trouble with the accent :)

I think Peter Mackay will do a good job. It's funny though under the Libs the MND post was always looked on as the kiss of death. I wonder if M. Harper is looking to eliminate the competition?

IN HOC SIGNO said:
I think Peter Mackay will do a good job. It's funny though under the Libs the MND post was always looked on as the kiss of death. I wonder if M. Harper is looking to eliminate the competition?

With no facts to back me up, only a gut feeling, I do not think that Peter McKay is too much of a competition to the PM.

IN HOC SIGNO said:

That's an interesting theory.  I've never thought about it that way. 

I don't think it's the case though.

Peter McKay is still a young man, and this is a big shot for him.  He'll have a shot for PM someday.  I have faith he'll do a good job in this spot, he's a good NS boy!

edit - still working on my first language skills...

Peter MacKay was a nimby in Foreign Affairs....I do not look favorably at him in Defense....

I think McKay is smart enough to listen to Hillier, powerful enough to pull in more kit for the troops, and charismatic enough to avoid alot of the 'Foot in Mouth' problems O'Connor suffered from.  I think its a great move, as O'Connor took alot of the flak from various Afghanistan issues and then moved on (bit of a scapegoat move), leaving McKay and Hillier free and clear to do their jobs. 

Back