• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mail and care packages sent to BMQ / BMOQ

Journeyman said:
Yes, Canada Post, and the Chain of Command, both have some pretty unfavourable views on shipping alcohol in-theatre. In sum, they're against it.

And not just Canada Post our posties hate it to lots of paper work involved especially when the moron sending the bottle packs it wrong and it breaks all over the other packages in the mail bag .Saw it happen when I was helping the Posties in Kosovo at Christmas time .

Danjanou said:
I think that was from my Legion branch. BTW they were wondering if they could have some of the poli-dent back? ;D

Actually, after posting that I tried to find them.  Somehow they disappeared...  ???

startbutton said:
And not just Canada Post our posties hate it to lots of paper work involved especially when the moron sending the bottle packs it wrong and it breaks all over the other packages in the mail bag .Saw it happen when I was helping the Posties in Kosovo at Christmas time .

Yes, on my Roto too.  The 5 BG guys were sending "maple syrup" quite a bit.  All was well until a large bottle (glass, DUH) of dark rum pretending to be MS broke and ruined quite a few parcels and letters it was shipped with.  Lucky for the recipient, it's package was so sodden that the addressee and sender could not be ascertained.  The Posties figured they would just wait out and see if someone came bitching about a missing shipment of MS.  Never did hear if the dumb-ass came a calling.

Hi Folks

The Canadian Forces marks that start of my first full-time job. Since I have been in school for the past two years  getting mail has been a very straight forward process for me. With this new career I need to switch my mailing address from school and need a new address to provide the various banks and phone carriers I will be using during BMQ and into my career. Since I have attended university in the United States I have to open a Canadian bank account and get a Canadian cell phone etc.  The problem is, I have no address to provide them because I do not have a place of residence in Canada of my own.

I am wondering three things:

1) Would it be frowned upon to put my address as St. Jean and have my bills and mail sent there. Then switching my address accordingly as I move across the country from training posts to my final posting?

2) What have others done in a similar situation as me? - I have thought of opening a post office box with Canada Post; but would like to avoid the fees they charge.

3) Would it be okay if mail was sent to St. Jean before my arrival?

Thanks

Osprey

You can definatley send mail to bmq at St.  Jean. Just be prepared to do some pushups for whatever it is you receive. My staff charge 20 for letters and 40 for packages ;) have fun

What mail are you expecting to receive? Get a data plan for your phone, switch to electronic billing, and pay everything online.

After BMQ you will be posted to a base for PAT, where depends on your trade. If your wait is long enough you may end up at another base for OJT or tasked elsewhere to fill general duties tasking slots. At some point you will be sent to a different base for BMQ-L, NETP or an Air Force course depending on your element. Eventually you will start your trades training, perhaps at the base you were waiting in but even if that is true you will move to a different building and have a new CoC, thus another new address.

If you think through all those changes in address, important mail such as bills will arrive in a timely manner, or even at all, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Thanks Ludoc and Joecrack, both of you provided helpful answers. I'll make a game plan accordingly.

Osprey

Sorry for hijacking thread but how do you actually get paid at BMQ , I don't remember them asking me any bank account information.

CanadianPanzer said:
Sorry for hijacking thread but how do you actually get paid at BMQ , I don't remember them asking me any bank account information.

The CF does direct deposit into your bank account. If you have not given your bank account info bring along a void cheque or something with all your bank account info, eventually someone will ask for it.

Just wondering if someone could clear this up for me, are there rules against receiving letters during basic? Nothing naughty, or anything inside them either, so no money or candy etc. Just regular letters.

Any info would be appreciated!

Not at all.  Letters are allowed and much appreciated - as are boxes of homemade cookies...

And always, always, always include several photographs that you would never in a million years expect to be shared with coursemates. Those, too, are always appreciated.

Loachman said:
And always, always, always include several photographs that you would never in a million years expect to be shared with coursemates. Those, too, are always appreciated.

Yes, and send duplicates in case they get distributed or posted lost or damaged!

The School Staff are always happy to keep those lovely letters flowing to the students to keep their morale up.      :facepalm:

Attachments

• Envelope.jpg
    Envelope.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 387
My nephew just graduated from his recruit course.  A few of the candidates had photos of his girlfriend in the required-to-fill picture frame on their desks.  ;D

You'll find today that more people are accustomed to email, but nothing beats receiving a physical letter in the mail.  Packages may also be opened in the presence of course staff to ensure nothing is coming in that shouldn't be coming in.

Hi there,
I want to send a care package to my partner who's currently in Montreal for basic training.
May I know if snacks are allowed or would they be confiscated?
Thanks so much in advanced!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

The snacks would most likely be shared with the entire platoon right after receiving the package, as it is very team orientated. If this isn't the case, it will most likely be placed into civvie lockup until they're on their weekends. In my experience, I'd suggest just sending toonies or something for the vending machines as those can get pretty rare or you could risk putting a 20 in a machine and not getting anything back lol.

winterapple said:
Hi there,
I want to send a care package to my partner who's currently in Montreal for basic training.
May I know if snacks are allowed or would they be confiscated?
Thanks so much in advanced!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

They'll have to earn those snacks, usually through push ups and only then will they get them if there is enough for everyone.

Don't send anything with high sugar or fat content. The healthier the better.

Probably best to just send them a card, a letter, something a little more personal and will help their morale rather than their stomach... They're well taken care of out there. That's just my opinion though.

For reference, perhaps,

Care package for partner in bmq 

will be merged with,

Care Package Superthread- Merged 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/35935.200
9 pages.

Back