• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Man drives CF truck onto airport runway

Can anyone really understand the uproar the taxpayers would have seeing armed security patrolling our bases and stations that are supposed to be 'transparent'? The shouts to parliament for an explanation for this will be loud and long. Afterall we are supposed to let them see their dollars at work..no? It would be an insult to the allmighty taxpayer to say "I am sorry Mr./Mrs. Taxpayer, but due to the current state of WAR our country is at, and the need for OPSEC, we cannot allow you into this MILITARY establishment for a self guided sight seeing tour,have a nice day. My two cents. Ubique

gun runner said:
Can anyone really understand the uproar the taxpayers would have seeing armed security patrolling our bases and stations that are supposed to be 'transparent'? The shouts to parliament for an explanation for this will be loud and long. Afterall we are supposed to let them see their dollars at work..no? It would be an insult to the allmighty taxpayer to say "I am sorry Mr./Mrs. Taxpayer, but due to the current state of WAR our country is at, and the need for OPSEC, we cannot allow you into this MILITARY establishment for a self guided sight seeing tour,have a nice day. My two cents. Ubique

When i went to Holland in 2008 for the RNLAF open house, the show organizers explained that there was no entrance fee as the Dutch taxpayers had paid for all the jets and the base and that one day each year, the RNLAF held an open day so that they could come and see what their tax money was doing. The rest of the time, the bases are restricted and guarded by armed military members.

Holland is even more pinko-peace nut than we are..........

I think our security is wrong.  IMO, everyone should be screened at the main gate(s), and only miliary personnel and families should have access.  Invited guest with an approved request.  Once on the base, you'd have access pretty much everywhere. 

The MQ's need to be separated from the base proper.

The idea of having to submit a request for approval so someone can drop in for coffee or your kids birthday party is absurd.

Or at least have less strict standards for the MQs. I know I don't want civvies wandering around the PMQs if they don't live there, unless they can state without hesitation the name and rank and address of the person they're going to visit. No ID check unless the MPs stop you.

PuckChaser said:
Or at least have less strict standards for the MQs. I know I don't want civvies wandering around the PMQs if they don't live there, unless they can state without hesitation the name and rank and address of the person they're going to visit. No ID check unless the MPs stop you.

For the most part, PMQs have been "outside" the Base and openly accessible by the public, even at the height of the Cold War in Europe. 

There are regulations in place to prevent incursions by "door to door" salesmen and solicitation. 

George Wallace said:
In most cases.  On Radar Stations, that distinction was blurred.

Name one still in use where thats the case.

On a certain base all you need to do flash a pack of cigarettes that's the same color of the actual pass and you have access to the entire flightline, as in this case.

I guess having armed guards protecting national assets is too expensive and not worth it. All it takes is one loonie toon with some explosives and boom, there goes a hangar or two. Good thing we live in Canada where terrorism doesn't happen.....

CDN Aviator said:
Name one still in use where thats the case.

Knew you were going to ask that when I hit "POST" so I did an edit.....but not quick enough.    ;D

Petawawa : PMQs outside the gates
Gagetown : PMQs outside the gates
Edmonton : PMQs outside the gates
Comox : PMQs outside the gates
Greenwood : PMQs outside the gates
Winnipeg : PMQs outside the gates
Valcartier : PMQs outside the gates
Cold lake : PMQs outside the gates
Esquimalt : PMQs outside the gates
Halifax : PMQs outside the gates
Trenton : PMQs outside the gates

SprCForr said:
The idea of having to submit a request for approval so someone can drop in for coffee or your kids birthday party is absurd.

US Military housing on all bases that i have been to was within the confines of the actual base.

belka said:
Good thing we live in Canada where terrorism doesn't happen.....

Really?!

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/96207.0.html

Alea

belka said:
On a certain base all you need to do flash a pack of cigarettes that's the same color of the actual pass and you have access to the entire flightline, as in this case.

I guess having armed guards protecting national assets is too expensive and not worth it. All it takes is one loonie toon with some explosives and boom, there goes a hangar or two. Good thing we live in Canada where terrorism doesn't happen.....

::)  Many on this site have served in places where we have had to have "real" security.  Problem is that here in Canada people are lax, including many who wear the uniform.  Would a bomb or two at some Base/Station/Installation or even office sound the alarm bells?  It hasn't yet.  Only last month or so, a CFRC in Trois Rivieres was bombed.  Any heightened Security?  Beuller?

Back