• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Man drives CF truck onto airport runway

SprCForr said:
They aren't. CFB Wainwright. Either is Dundurn IIRC.

Better?

You are right. With Borden, thats 3 bases. An overwhelming majority of PMQs are located off-base. Better ?

CDN Aviator said:
Petawawa : PMQs outside the gates
Gagetown : PMQs outside the gates
Edmonton : PMQs outside the gates
Comox : PMQs outside the gates
Greenwood : PMQs outside the gates
Winnipeg : PMQs outside the gates
Valcartier : PMQs outside the gates
Cold lake : PMQs outside the gates
Esquimalt : PMQs outside the gates
Halifax : PMQs outside the gates
Trenton : PMQs outside the gates

IIRC, the Qs in Bagotville and Montreal are not within base gates. Moose Jaw PMQ's aren't either IIRC. I don't know about Shilo's as i have never been there.

The Shilo PMQs are inside the base. Just a reminder that many if not most members live off base.

And if you are ready to become paranoid, there was a flap during the 1970 FLQ crisis when somebody claiming to be FLQ warned that attacks on the Valcartier married pass were imminent.

I stand corrected, I should have used the qualifier "on some" in my original post. Moving on...

Should base security concerns be addressed in the manner put out by SSMax? If it were base proper and not the patch, I'd agree. However, applying it to the patch is extreme. Puckchasers comment brings to mind the signs I'd see at the entrance to the Chwk MQ's about being a Defense Establishment, open to search etc etc. Has it changed? Is this not the case anymore?

SprCForr said:
applying it to the patch is extreme.

Hardly. The PMQs are a defence establishment and our personel are no less at risk in the PMQs than they are in their workplace. Physicaly restricting access to military housing would be in keeping with what our largest ally does. It is not because it is inconvenient that we should be lax about security.

One well placed bomb at an MFRC or a shooting rampage in the PMQ streets and you would be signing a different tune.

Don't even have to go that far, drive around the base a few times and notice which cars are missing from driveways and start breaking into houses.

Submitting a list of little Sally's birthday guests for approval isn't addressing security in any meaningful way, it's theatre like body searching your 95 yr old Grandma flying out from Regina at Christmas. For that matter having the CofC checking ID at a PMQ gate and questioning those who aren't on "the list" won't stop a determined attacker either.

IMO an increased presence of the MP's, reporting of suspicious activities by families, enforcement of current regulations, passive electronic surveillance and reduction of cover and overgrowth would be far more effective. The "tune" I'm singing is do it right and with some thought and minimal jerking of knee's. 

I think the bases should be closed off to Canadian forces and only open on special circumstances.

2137Cadet said:
I think the bases should be closed off to Canadian forces and only open on special circumstances.

Is this your professional opinion, based on experience?

2137Cadet said:

Please, please, please, cadet: think before you post. You want our CF bases closed to the CF? In what "special circumstances" might military members go on to their bases?

Take a break, lad; read, think then post.

E.R. Campbell said:
Please, please, please, cadet: think before you post. You want our CF bases closed to the CF? In what "special circumstances" might military members go on to their bases?

Take a break, lad; read, think then post.

Sorry about that, I'll read before I post. Thank you for pointing that out.

Traffic getting on to CFB Petawawa is insane enough as it is, I can't imagine having to go through security.

Hrm base security I've never found very tight except at Stadacona, particularly when her Majesty was there ( I couldn't go ten feet without encountering armed MP's) Everytime I've been to Stad I've had my ID checked. That being said, I only had it happen once in a month of Camp Aldershot and never at Wainwright, hell cabs fly in and out of there without even stopping ( though my cabby did get a ticket from a zealous MP for not signaling when turning right into a dead end heh.

I'd have to say, and yes in my opinion, that security is lax. That being said, I've never personally heard of any problems with that minus the above story.

I went to the US base in Weisbaden, Germany for a job fair when we were trying to hire some English speakers in the area a couple years ago. I had to submit my passport a week beforehand and they were x-raying vehicles at the gate using a mobile scanner. In town there are a few apartment buildings for the military right near the town centre and they are surrounded by barbed wire fences and have security at the gates 24/7.

I went to an Italian air force base in June and I was greeted by multiple armed men that spoke to me through the 12 foot high iron gate. There was lots of razor wire and signs indicating bad things would happen if you got over the fence.....

I was shocked when I went to Trenton and I could just drive around the base without anyone asking me a thing.

2010newbie said:
I went to the US base in Weisbaden, Germany for a job fair when we were trying to hire some English speakers in the area a couple years ago. I had to submit my passport a week beforehand and they were x-raying vehicles at the gate using a mobile scanner. In town there are a few apartment buildings for the military right near the town centre and they are surrounded by barbed wire fences and have security at the gates 24/7.

I went to an Italian air force base in June and I was greeted by multiple armed men that spoke to me through the 12 foot high iron gate. There was lots of razor wire and signs indicating bad things would happen if you got over the fence.....

I was shocked when I went to Trenton and I could just drive around the base without anyone asking me a thing.

You'll find Europeans do this because of the terrorist threats during the 70's. Badder Meinhoff, the Red Brigades, Carlos the Jackal and others had the Europeans take security very seriously.

Driver on airport runaway not criminally responsible
By: Mike McIntyre 01/5/2011
Article Link

WINNIPEG — A Montreal man has been found not criminally responsible for stealing a military truck and driving it onto the runway of Winnipeg’s airport.

Michael Doss, 23, was suffering from a "major mental illness" at the time of the September 2010 incident, court heard Wednesday.

Both Crown and defence lawyers agreed with the finding of a psychiatrist who said Doss "could not have appreciated the differences between right and wrong."

Doss has been in custody since his arrest undergoing treatment in the forensic unit of the Health Sciences Centre. His case will now be put in the hands of the provincial Review Board, who must determine if and when Doss is fit to be returned to the community. He will likely be housed at the Selkirk Mental Health unit until such a finding is made.

According to police, Doss somehow entered a restricted area on the Canadian Forces Base and found a Ford F150 registered to the Department of National Defence. The vehicle was parked on the apron of a runway.

A spokeswoman for the Winnipeg Airports Authority said Doss breached a fence around the James Armstrong Richardson International Airport shortly after 5 a.m. As the truck was headed towards the runway, a Beechcraft King Aircraft carrying cargo and three passengers was departing.

The plane completed its take-off without incident while the stolen truck continued to drive along the runway, behind the departed plane.

Doss was quickly stopped by airport security and Winnipeg police. There were no injuries.

Doss was charged with theft over $5,000, damaging or interfering with navigation facility and mischief endangering life.

The unusual incident led to a review of security measures.
end

Review of security measures...I should hope so! Both on the Richardson side of the runway, and on 17 Wing. Who in their right mind leaves the keys in a truck on base? They are to be returned to the pool key press when not in use, correct? Or was the truck running unattended? Either way, this nutbar figured out how to get into 17 Wing undetected, steal the truck and get onto the apron at the Richardson airport, and joyride on the runway for a bit before someone in the control tower had seen him there. I think that there are more than a few questions to answer, on both sides of the runway. My :2c:

Back