• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MAR SS officer

Catburglar

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello there, i'm really happy i find this board because i'm in the process of joining the navy and i have some questions the recruitment center can't answer.  I hope some here can...

First, a bit of my background...I'm a 30 years old a college/university teacher in philosophy.  I choose to engage myself in the navy as MAR SS officer.  I fill the forms in janurary 2005.  But here's my problem(s), i have a criminal record for being drunk in driving.  Now they request a legal identification by the RCMP.  No need to say they aren't the fastest service on earth... Indeed, i miss the march selection board.  Girl at recruiting center (a civil) tell me it can takes a lot of time, 6 to 7 month.

Now the questions !

1 - Did i make all this for nothing ? I mean, since i have a criminal record (process to erase it is on the way but that can take more than 2 years -- see RCMP), did my application will be rejected automaticly by the selection board ?

2 - As an eta, RCMP could have filled the legal identification by then end of august 2005, but i still have to do all tests and the interview after that, will i miss the fall selection board ? (2a - Did someone know the date of this selection board ?)

3 - They told me they do a credit inquiry as part of the security inquiry.  I have some heavy debt, no bankrupt, but still something who'll keep me busy for about 10 years (includind student loans & some debts unpaid since a while).  Is this credit inquiry can eject me from the recruting process ?

4 - Part of your experience, if i miss the fal 2005 selection board, should i enroll myself as a seaman/petty officer then apply to be officer later, or keep in touch wich the direct enroll to officer process ?

Well, that's it for now.  Hope some of you folks can help me to anser these questions.

Phil

PS : i know my english is awful, it seems that english school will be a part of the training process  :)

You want to be an SS Officer?!?  Just kidding....

Anyways, as Kincanucks has alluded to, spots for Commissions are pretty competitive - if you have a criminal record and a bad debt history, I'd say your chances are pretty low; but don't take that as official, wait for Kincanucks to give you the word.

Hello there, i'm really happy i find this board because i'm in the process of joining the navy and i have some questions the recruitment center can't answer.  I hope some here can...

First of all,  I find it hard to believe that this is true or that you were trying to ask some civie clerk about something that she wouldn't know about anyway.  Next time ask to speak to a military career counsellor who will tell exactly what I am about to.  When people come on here bitching and complaining that CFRC/Ds can't answer their questions well it pisses me off a little but enough about me, cup of tea?

1 - Did i make all this for nothing ? I mean, since i have a criminal record (process to erase it is on the way but that can take more than 2 years -- see RCMP), did my application will be rejected automaticly by the selection board ?

If there are no current legal obligations attached to your DWI such as probation or driving suspension than there is no problem.  However, there are certain spent periods for convictions and sentences (jail, fines, probation, etc) and that may require more wait time before the processing of your file is continued.  PM me on Tuesday with your details and I will tell you what may apply to you.  Keep in mind no decision can be made on you until the results of the fingerprints are returned.

2 - As an eta, RCMP could have filled the legal identification by then end of august 2005, but i still have to do all tests and the interview after that, will i miss the fall selection board ? (2a - Did someone know the date of this selection board ?)

Oct/Nov.  You have a chance if nothing else is unusual.

3 - They told me they do a credit inquiry as part of the security inquiry.  I have some heavy debt, no bankrupt, but still something who'll keep me busy for about 10 years (includind student loans & some debts unpaid since a while).  Is this credit inquiry can eject me from the recruting process ?

If you have outstanding debt that you are not addressing (regular payments, talking to creditors, etc) than you may be denied reliability status until you do.  Denial of reliability status is a show stopper.

4 - Part of your experience, if i miss the fal 2005 selection board, should i enroll myself as a seaman/petty officer then apply to be officer later, or keep in touch wich the direct enroll to officer process ?

First of all you start at Ordinary Seaman in the Navy as it takes a few years to become a Petty Officer.  That is up to you but if you want something bad enough you should wait for it.  Joining the Navy as a NCM won't make you a Naval Officer any faster.

Any more questions just ask.

First, thanks a lot for your answer  :)

When people come on here bitching and complaining that CFRC/Ds can't answer their questions well it pisses me off a little but enough about me

Really sorry, that wasn't intended.  Recruitment center gaves me a great service.  They have taken the time to talk with me a lot, call me back several times,...,...  The questions i had was answered by the CFRC, the answer was "nothing can stop your to apply on the job, but it's your case against the other who applied on the job Canada wide".  I understand their position, but i want another opinion, an unofficial one, from someone from the inside.

spots for Commissions are pretty competitive

Curriously enough, CFRC told me that there is more competition on non-commision jobs then for the comissioned ones.

That is up to you but if you want something bad enough you should wait for it

That was my toughts, i started it, i will push it to the end.  I takes lot of times speaking/meeting persons who was already in forces, and the more info i received, more sure i am to wish to join the Navy.

Well, i'll PM for the more personnal infos, and thanks again

Phil

Back