• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Maritime Coastal Defence Vessels (MCDVs)

Yes the "chain of events" leading up to an accident always makes interesting reading. When we were doing rescue diving in the Coast Guard, one of the big teaching elements was to be able to recognize when a chain of events was forming in order to forestall a bad outcome.

It will be interesting to see what come out of the European Patrol Corvette program. (...)

I fear though that as a multi-nation 'co-operative' development it will end up being too many compromises.

Here it is an update:

Here it is an update:

They can produce hulls efficiently & affordably. Perhaps thats the best idea for them moving forwards.

A common hull, power plant, propulsion, etc. A majority of the systems would be fairly common among participating countries - with some ships coming online ‘designed for, but not with’ some systems for financially strained countries. (Looking at you, Greece…)

Have to wonder if we’ll still send the Kingston’s into the Nigeria delta / Gulf of Guinea armed with a pair of 50’s and not much else, other than personal weapons, after this.

“Danish military forces on a anti-piracy mission killed four pirates in a gun battle in the Gulf of Guinea this week,”
“the frigate’s crew was alerted to reports of an increased risk of piracy in waters south of Nigeria and sent the ship’s Seahawk helicopter to patrol the area.”
“send a military team in a RHIB to board the suspected pirate vessel.”
“When the pirates did not react, the Danish forces fired warning shots, cf. their powers. The pirates then opened fire directly on the Danish soldiers. The Danish soldiers then reacted in self-defense and responded to the fire from the pirates,” the update said.”
A brief firefight ensued and resulted in five pirates being hit, four of whom died. No Danish soldiers were injured.

So there was resistance to a boarding party. Not the same as an attempt on a ship, particularly as pirates by their nature stear well clear of military vessels if they can.
I'm sure the risk assessment will be done. If anything we should be sending more MCDV's to help out.

So there was resistance to a boarding party. Not the same as an attempt on a ship, particularly as pirates by their nature stear well clear of military vessels if they can.
I'm sure the risk assessment will be done. If anything we should be sending more MCDV's to help out.
With the Same 25mm RWS as the AOP's have, which would be an excellent upgrade of the MCDV's

With the Same 25mm RWS as the AOP's have, which would be an excellent upgrade of the MCDV's
Since the assessment of the AOPS area of operations/mission profile called for the RWS, it would seem logical for the same to apply to the MCDV, given that they do cut much of the same grass. Maybe even if there were 6 of the units kept in a rotating pool to be installed for just these sorts of deployment.

The frigate had a maritime helo to go out and be its eye’s on target, it then launched the boarding party in a RHIB that goes what, 35-40+ knots? The Kingston’s have neither of these options.
So in the above scenario they would not have had eyes on target, nor most likely the ability to close with the pirates due to the Kingstons speed limitations. As a result, the pirates would have most likely gotten away and lived to fight another day.

I would rather have more than you need for each vessel, that way you can pull one off, send it for a complete service and put a serviced one on just prior to deployment.
I
The frigate had a maritime helo to go out and be its eye’s on target, it then launched the boarding party in a RHIB that goes what, 35-40+ knots? The Kingston’s have neither of these options.
So in the above scenario they would not have had eyes on target, nor most likely the ability to close with the pirates due to the Kingstons speed limitations. As a result, the pirates would have most likely gotten away and lived to fight another day.
I disagree, to a degree. The MCDV does have a UAV capacity with excellent real time visual coverage. I can't speak to the speed capability for the auxiliary boats carried by the ship, unsure if they are similar or not.

I would like to see a KINGSTON with some sort of RWS, preferably the same MK 38 as the HDW class. With the wear on the frigates and the small number of AOPS, coupled with their arctic patrol duties, I feel like the MCDV's are going to be leaned on just as heavily, if not more, than they have been/are currently.

My opinion only, but I think its a big deal to have the ability to remotely fire a weapon from a more secure location inside the vessel.

The RCN has already acquired some of these Skeldar UAVs for unarmed recce. The Poles are looking at arming theirs with a Startstreak HVM derivative, the Martlett LMM, which is also used on the RN's Wildcat and the Royal Artillery's Stormer GBAD vehicles.

1638138449954.jpeg

Probably a bit too big for the MCDV though.

Althoug maybe not - 1.3 m high with a 4.7 m rotor diameter - the MCDV has a reported beam of 11.3 m. Could it be deployed from the after deck?

king3.jpg

Have to wonder if we’ll still send the Kingston’s into the Nigeria delta / Gulf of Guinea armed with a pair of 50’s and not much else, other than personal weapons, after this.

“Danish military forces on a anti-piracy mission killed four pirates in a gun battle in the Gulf of Guinea this week,”
“the frigate’s crew was alerted to reports of an increased risk of piracy in waters south of Nigeria and sent the ship’s Seahawk helicopter to patrol the area.”
“send a military team in a RHIB to board the suspected pirate vessel.”
“When the pirates did not react, the Danish forces fired warning shots, cf. their powers. The pirates then opened fire directly on the Danish soldiers. The Danish soldiers then reacted in self-defense and responded to the fire from the pirates,” the update said.”
A brief firefight ensued and resulted in five pirates being hit, four of whom died. No Danish soldiers were injured.
MCDVs go there for training purposes not to conduct active anti piracy operations. We do train if we encounter them and have protocols in place.

Althoug maybe not - 1.3 m high with a 4.7 m rotor diameter - the MCDV has a reported beam of 11.3 m. Could it be deployed from the after deck?

king3.jpg
MCDVs deploy to Op Projection with a 20ft ISO aft. There could be a platform fitted to the top of the 20 ft ISO to operate a UAV.

It's the wind vortexes and such from the superstructure that will cause the issues, the AI of UAV is getting better all the time, but that can still catch them off guard.

I always thought that equipping the McDiv's with a C16 automatic grenade launcher would be a cool idea. Same idea as the US Cyclone class being equipped with the MK 19 launcher. It's good to know the Kingstons can be equipped with payloads and loadouts specific to the mission she's on.

I always thought that equipping the McDiv's with a C16 automatic grenade launcher would be a cool idea. Same idea as the US Cyclone class being equipped with the MK 19 launcher. It's good to know the Kingstons can be equipped with payloads and loadouts specific to the mission she's on.
What's the range on that launcher. 50 cal frankly is quite versatile.

I did a tour of a Cyclone Class once. Overgunned, overpowered, and underranged. It was amazing.

Back