• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Marks / Grades: School / GED or PLAR [MERGED]

Michael O'Leary said:
Before you go and talk to the Recruiter, there's something else you need to think about.

Do not be misled by all those Hollywood depictions of army training as endless days of obstacle courses, throwing grenades, firing ranges and patrolling in swamps by night. The other part they don't show, which applies to every trade, and especially to some of those technical trades you seem to be interested it, is the amount of time military recruits and trained personnel spend in the classroom.  There will be many hours of classroom lectures (some of them not very exciting at all), taking of notes, studying those notes, and taking both practical and written tests.  The difference is you don't get to slack off and hope to cram for the final to bring your mark up.  We require you to pass every test on the first try, and there will be hoops to jump through to get a second chance.  After a few failing test scores you may find you have failed a course because of a "lack of determination." Losing that determination during a course could find you back on the street wondering what to do with your life.  Choose carefully.
Yes, I found this out from watching the BMQ videos. It's different here since there aren't any civilian distractions. You are also encouraged by everyone to to good unlike here in University. All they care about here is taking your money.

Oh yeah, when the recruiters do the selection process, do they choose the best candidates just from the people who have applied at the recruiting center or do they get together somehow and pick the top candidates out of the whole country. It confuses me how it works since People all over the country are applying for the same trade(s).

It's the whole country - it's a Federal organization.

CFRCs are only there to bring people in; and then take a fine-tooth comb to the applicants and only choose the best/most competitive.

Go to the recruiting centre is really the only option - you can get the best answers there. It doesn't cost anything - so go for it... but heed the warnings: there are no free rides and it's not the glory and grace that media has brainwashed people into believing (although... I've always loved the Army, doesn't help that I'm 1: Crazy 2: raised in an Army family  ;D )

If you're looking for money - this is not the place.
You should be doing it for things like - Selfless service to your nation and stuff like that.

my  :2c:

derekrobitaille said:
It's different here since there aren't any civilian distractions.

I don`t know `bout that,........I always very much enjoyed my "civilian distractions". :blotto:

Its not like you get whisked away to some kind of "Monk-like" existence.......

Bruce Monkhouse said:
I don`t know `bout that,........I always very much enjoyed my "civilian distractions". :blotto:

Its not like you get whisked away to some kind of "Monk-like" existence.......
Well, I meant like there isn't any video games in BMQ and I don't think you are allowed to drink alcohol. I don't drink anyways, but tv, computers and video games can be pretty distracting.

derekrobitaille said:
Yes, I found this out from watching the BMQ videos. It's different here since there aren't any civilian distractions. You are also encouraged by everyone to to good unlike here in University. All they care about here is taking your money.

Don't blame the university for your inability to succeed in one. Students are guided through high school, and there's still a lot of support in college. University students require a lot more determination because they are left to their own devices and they do their own thing, with the expectation that they will be successful.

derekrobitaille said:
Well, I meant like there isn't any video games in BMQ and I don't think you are allowed to drink alcohol. I don't drink anyways, but tv, computers and video games can be pretty distracting.

There are video games at BMQ located in the lounge/bar area. You also can drink alcohol.

Don't waltz into the Canadian Forces expecting that they will force you to succeed by taking away all your distractions and suddenly making you more determined. That just isn't going to happen.

Success and failure in the military is largely based on you - if you have determination problems and a history of failure prior to the army, without you making proper adjustments, there's no reason that it won't happen again in the Forces.

Nauticus said:
Don't blame the university for your inability to succeed in one.

...I don't know, there are some pretty bad tenured professors out there.

Although I do agree with you 100% that anyone could pass it if they want it bad enough, without blaming someone else.

infantryian said:
...I don't know, there are some pretty bad tenured professors out there.

Although I do agree with you 100% that anyone could pass it if they want it bad enough, without blaming someone else.
Of course there are bad professors. It's just convenient that every person who felt they would succeed in university, failed, and now feels that they will succeed in the Canadian Forces has experienced bad professors. ;)

Hey everyone, just a quick question. I was wanting to know if the Canadian Forces recognized  the G.E.D as an equivalent to a high school diploma? I have been told from some people yes , and others no. so I am hoping to get a straight answer as too is it yes or no? As it stands it would be a perk for me as I have been working towards getting my G.E.D for the soul purpose of joining the C.F. as a non commissioned member, but if it is the case that is recognized as equivalent than I would be very much more interested in going for my officers training.

"FACTA NON VERBA" 

Kazper said:
I was wanting to know if the Canadian Forces recognized  the G.E.D as an equivalent to a high school diploma? I have been told from some people yes , and others no. so I am hoping to get a straight answer as too is it yes or no?

Have you asked your local recruiting centre?  They are the only answer that matters as it does not matter what 100 random unknown people on the internet tell you; if the recruiting centre says the opposite, that is they answer they are going by.

NCS_Eng said:
Its true that grades aren't everything. During my time at charm school I had a good chat with one of the members of the selection committee and he said they look at everything including the usuals like grades, leadership potential and extracurriculars. What surprised me was that a weighting was used depending on what province the applicant was from (IE a 90% in Math from Ont is given more/less weight than a 90% from say, Nova Scotia). This weighting was based on historical failure rates and provincial averages. Furthermore the selection board tries to maintain a relatively good spread of cadets thats in line with Canadian demographics. This isn't a quota system per se, just that they try to maintain a 30% from X province, 10% from Y province type of spread. There are no hard-caps. The percentage of applications received from each province tended to fall within these boundries naturally anyway. Finally they try and maintain a "good" ratio of men/women. Due to the numbers involved, this was like a 3:1 ratio (when I attended). Given the far lower amount of women that sign up for the program, it stands to reason that all other things being equal (in leadership potential and extracurriculars) someone with a 65% average would get in.

All this information is dated (lets say, circa 2000), and I'm sure they've refined their entrance criteria and selection process since then but should give you an idea of what they are looking for. If you are a visible minority women from BC with good grades and leadership potential you are in for sure. Not to mention you will be on all the recruiting posters for the next 10 years :)

Also feeverte, the place must have really changed since my time if your average history student is working harder than the engineers  ;)

Do visible minority women get in CF easier or is it the other way around? Most soldiers I see are not visible minority, does it mean they have lower chance?

bdb1231 said:
Do visible minority women get in CF easier or is it the other way around? Most soldiers I see are not visible minority, does it mean they have lower chance?

bdb1231 said:
I was just asking.

There are only three minorities in the CF:

Army Green;
Air Force Blue; and
Navy Blue.

This is Canada, and this question has been answered by the Charter of Human Rights and our government's efforts at Political Correctness.

As for you comments as to "Most soldiers I see are not visible minority" that may lie in the social values of many minority groups who do not see Service to country and in the CF as an option.  The face of the CF is changing slowly to more represent Canadian demographics, but change is not instantaneous.

Yes, the whole minority question was kind of offensive, if you make it to RMC you'll see there's a lot of diversity here, which reflects the CF overall. And back on topic, here's a link for anyone wanting to know the base grades, etc that RMC will look at.

http://bctf.ca/bcsca/psi_update_09/CMCS_Handout.pdf

Although the deductions are a little higher now (about $600 for your rations and quarters), the information is pretty relevant - your grades must be as good as they can be to be competitive amongst the other people applying for that year. Also, your grades will almost guaranteed drop by at least 10-15% when you first come to RMC, as you will have less time to study than you may be used to in high school. This is because of all the other demands on your time (squadron duties, military training, sports and athletic training, and second language training). It all takes a toll on your grades until you learn how to juggle your time effectively. Do the best you can at school, be well rounded, and apply. That's all you can do. Good luck!  :)

Very interesting information, Breezie, I thank you for it!

I also would like to add that, according to the RMC website, one must have a 70% average or better in the prerequisite classes for the programme you want to take, as well as an average of 70% or better from your six best classes in Grade 12. For myself, I have an average of 80% for my prerequisites and an average of 83.5% from my six best classes. However, I would like to add the qualifier that I have not yet received word as to whether I am accepted or not!

As for the question about upgrading marks: My recruiting officer, seeing I had some poor math marks, actually encouraged me to go back to upgrade and then bring in my updated marks transcript. His advice helped me move my Mathematics A30 mark from a 53 to an 80, making my application much more competitive.

breezie said:
Yes, the whole minority question was kind of offensive, if you make it to RMC you'll see there's a lot of diversity here, which reflects the CF overall. And back on topic, here's a link for anyone wanting to know the base grades, etc that RMC will look at.

http://bctf.ca/bcsca/psi_update_09/CMCS_Handout.pdf

Although the deductions are a little higher now (about $600 for your rations and quarters), the information is pretty relevant - your grades must be as good as they can be to be competitive amongst the other people applying for that year. Also, your grades will almost guaranteed drop by at least 10-15% when you first come to RMC, as you will have less time to study than you may be used to in high school. This is because of all the other demands on your time (squadron duties, military training, sports and athletic training, and second language training). It all takes a toll on your grades until you learn how to juggle your time effectively. Do the best you can at school, be well rounded, and apply. That's all you can do. Good luck!  :)

I must disagree with you on the "your grades will drop 10 to 15% on average" saying cuz it's simply not true. While it might be difficult for some to maintain a steady average during FYOP, it's far from impossible.

We were told the same thing at the start of the year but upon reflecting, it seemed like more of a scare tactic than anything else. Most people managed to keep decent averages without any significant dips, for myself, I actually improved mine during FYOP since it allowed me to seriously focus during the limited time I was given to study.

All in all, just work hard and you'll make it, no secrets there.

I would like to retract my post I made earlier, I have yet to declined or Accepted, but all of your marks count, they do a full average from grade 9 - 12, I would shoot for bare minimum of at least  80%, but go as high as possible  :salute:

Inky said:
I must disagree with you on the "your grades will drop 10 to 15% on average" saying cuz it's simply not true. While it might be difficult for some to maintain a steady average during FYOP, it's far from impossible.

We were told the same thing at the start of the year but upon reflecting, it seemed like more of a scare tactic than anything else. Most people managed to keep decent averages without any significant dips, for myself, I actually improved mine during FYOP since it allowed me to seriously focus during the limited time I was given to study.

All in all, just work hard and you'll make it, no secrets there.

Inky, I know that there are many people who are able to maintain their grades during FYOP and first year, because I was one of them. I also know there are many that can't maintain their normal averages at first, and because no one warned them that might happen, they were really confused and didn't know what to do. If new cadets can keep up their grades as high as they were in high school, that's great. It's just very possible that they may drop, sometimes just for one term, sometimes for their whole RMC career. It's just better if people know that possibility exists, so if something does go horribly pear-shaped in first term, they know why.  :)

This has been bugging me awhile, on the RMC website it says your best 6 courses must add up to an average of 70%. So when they say best 6, do they mean 6 best academic courses or any 6 courses in school? So for instance:

Best 6:
socials
English
Math
Computer programming-non academic
work-experience
French

Like this or only academic courses? In addition, which grade marks are the most important? 11? 12? thanks in advance.

Back