• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Marks / Grades: School / GED or PLAR [MERGED]

What is the army's view on those of us who were homeschooled...do they still consider this to be sufficient?

Call the Recruiting centre and ask them, they have the most up to date info.

It shouldn't matter if your were homeschooled as long as you meet the minimum educational requirements. With that said the more education that you have the better. Especially if it is related to the trade that you want to go into.

Home schooling can be a problem unless you wrote some sort of provincial exam to ensure that your education meets the provincial standard.

I would think homeschooling would be better. From my friends experience they seem to say it's alot harder than normal schooling. Like what tracker and the others said if you got proof it shouldn't problem I guess.

I  have read posts in the past regarding the issue of home schooling, I seem to remember it being a problem just for the reason that provincial exams had not been taken and transcripts were not available. You would really have to talk to a  recruiter regarding this issue.  I would guess that as long as you had some kind of provincial transcript, providing courses, grades and so on, you would be ok as long as it was a recognised institution.

Hey guys, just wondering how many of you have joined with your grade 12 equivilancy.  Im 22 now, and have had my GED since Aug of this year, but havent attended highschool since grade 10 (which I didn't complete).  The recruiters have told me that a GED is good enough to get in, I was just curious if any of you have already gone through this. 
Thanks again!

My advice to you is to get your grade twelve. Take english, math, and chem twelve along with whatever else you need.

A GED is good enough to join (i.e. it meets the requirements).

I have spoken to many folks in the CF, both ResF and RegF, who just did their GED or went back for night school to complete their diploma while in the CF, and they have no complaints. That said, you have a lot of options. You may also want to attend college while in the CF in order to improve your job marketability and career options.

However, make sure you prepare for the aptitude test, as this will make or break you with regards to getting in.

Im currently enrolled in Algonquin college in Ottawa.  My big plan  for January was to take the Police foundations (2 year course) program, and try and get into the Vancouver police department.  After many restless nights, i've decided that i'd rather join the forces.  The Pay scale is similar,  but I think the forces would be a more enjoyable experience.  I can always try out for a police force later, if I find the army to be less then what I expect.

PnZGhost said:
Im currently enrolled in Algonquin college in Ottawa.   My big plan   for January was to take the Police foundations (2 year course) program, and try and get into the Vancouver police department.   After many restless nights, i've decided that i'd rather join the forces.   The Pay scale is similar,   but I think the forces would be a more enjoyable experience.   I can always try out for a police force later, if I find the army to be less then what I expect.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/recruiting/salary_e.htm  $39,535: 0 to six months (or until completion of the field training program)

$51,367: upon completion of field training program up until two years

$60,099: next 12 months

$64,059: after three years

http://www.gov.on.ca/opp/recruit/english/salary.htm

0 â “ 12 months $ 35,666.00
Constable 12 â “ 18 months $ 46,839.00
18 â “ 24 months $ 53,533.00
24 â “ 36 months $ 59,556.00
36 months to 7 years $ 66,912.00

Plus all the overtime=

;D

When I joined the RegF in '96 I only had 16 high school credit (only 15 were required). When I got back in in 2002, I had a GED but ti was not required.

Do you need  8 Gr.9 credits and 8 Grade 10 credits, or just 16 total credits? say 8 Gr.9, 7 Gr.10 and 1 Grade 11.

Hopefully you understand what I'm saying.

Hi am 15 turning 16 in january i was wondering do you need to have 5 credits to join or be taking 5 credits i am very confused lol
oh and i am only 5'4 125 pounds but in very good physical condition do you think that will affect how i do in the reserves.

*CDN*StalkingRicco said:
Hi am 15 turning 16 in january i was wondering do you need to have 5 credits to join or be taking 5 credits i am very confused lol
oh and i am only 5'4 125 pounds but in very good physical condition do you think that will affect how i do in the reserves.

Do you mean 5 high school credits? As far as I'm aware you need a grade 10 education to join the military.

You should be fine physically. All you need to do is to be able to keep up.

Credits vary from Province to Province, the rule of thumb is the completion of grade 10.  You must be 16 before you can apply for ROTP or the Reserves.  Call 1-800-856-8488 to be sure.

Back