• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Martin government is poised to enshrine the army as Canada's pre-eminent militar

John Nayduk

Inactive
Reaction score
By MICHAEL DEN TANDT
From Thursday's Globe and Mail

POSTED AT 5:49 AM EST Thursday, Jan 27, 2005

Ottawa â ” The Martin government is poised to enshrine the army as Canada's pre-eminent military service and sharply reduce the number of countries to which it gives foreign aid, while boosting international spending in areas where it believes it will have the greatest impact, sources say.
The government's long-anticipated foreign policy review, which Prime Minister Paul Martin launched more than a year ago, will be unveiled before the federal budget, sources say. It will map out a plan to streamline and reinvigorate Canada's place abroad by refocusing military spending, foreign aid and diplomacy, officials familiar with the document say.

The paper, a final version of which is still being prepared, will urge a sharp reduction in the list of 150-plus countries that receive aid from the Canadian International Development Agency. It will also push the aid body from its traditional focus on broad poverty alleviation toward more urgent concerns such as AIDS in Africa and Asia, sources say.

The review, led by officials in the Department of Foreign Affairs with input from the Department of Defence, International Trade and CIDA, does not have the force of law, but is intended to set a direction for government policy. Sources say the paper's main points will be prominently articulated in the coming budget.

The paper will lay the groundwork for a major redeployment of foreign service staff overseas to give the government more "boots on the ground" in natural disasters or other international crises.

And it will signal the formal elevation of the Canadian army to a senior position within the military, with sea and air forces reduced to support roles.

"If a capability is not directly related to supporting the army, then it gets less focus," a source familiar with the review said. ". . . The whole thrust of [the review] is, how do we develop a more focused approach, in everything that we do, so we can have a greater impact?"

In addition, the 50-page document will map out a plan for greater North American integration, with a focus on regulatory harmonization, enhanced border flow and continental security, without formally reopening the North American free-trade agreement.

The Globe and Mail reported last week that Canadian, U.S. and Mexican officials are talking about a special trilateral summit, possibly in late March, at which the "NAFTA-plus" agenda would be advanced.

The policy review will not pronounce on the explosive issue of whether Canada should join U.S. President George W. Bush's plan for a ballistic missile shield over North America, according to a source familiar with the document.

Indeed, federal sources say, missile defence will remain off the government's front burner at least until after the budget, expected in late February. A senior federal official discounted recent reports that the U.S. government has lost patience with Ottawa on this issue. "Certainly, we can't wait forever. But it's not as though they've told us it has to be tomorrow, next week, or even next month."

The army's rise to senior status is intended to give Ottawa more troops with which to advance Mr. Martin's interventionist agenda for dealing with failed or fragile states. "That's where the gaps are," a source said. "We saw that in Afghanistan and Haiti."

Two weeks ago, the government named General Rick Hillier, the former chief of land staff who has pushed hard for greater funding for the army relative to the other two armed services, as chief of defence staff.

During last June's election campaign, Mr. Martin promised to increase defence spending between $2-billion and $3-billion, spread over five years, as well as add 5,000 new regular force troops and 3,000 reservists.

Senior DND officials, including Gen. Hillier, have questioned whether the promise of new troops would be kept.

The foreign policy review, and the budget to follow, will reaffirm the government's commitment to boosting troop levels, sources say. "The debate now is over whether you do it in three or four years, or six. [Defence Minister Bill] Graham wants it in three, which means aggressive training and recruiting."

However, major new annual military spending is not likely, certainly not the several billion called for by Auditor-General Sheila Fraser, among others. Instead, the government will commit itself to a phased, 10-year plan for rebuilding the military, a government source said.

The foreign service initiative is intended to redress a perceived imbalance in the deployment of Canada's diplomats, whereby two-thirds of total diplomatic staff are in Canada and one-third abroad. Foreign Affairs Minister Pierre Pettigrew is determined to bring this ratio closer to the G8 average of 50 per cent, a source said.

The changes to foreign aid stem from a perception at senior levels in the government that the Canadian International Development Agency's resources are spread far too thinly, with many small aid projects budgeted at less than $5-million. "You can't have an impact that way," a source familiar with the review said.

This foreign policy review, the fourth by a federal government since the 1970s, was originally intended to be released last November. The long delay, a source close to the process said, is largely because, unlike earlier reviews, it ranges across several major federal departments.

"It's extremely difficult . . . when you try to get officials from four departments together, they all have a wish to see themselves reflected in the product," the source said.

Although this is just an article and nothing is engraved in stone, if what they are saying about the Army being elevated to the senior service position is true, all I can say is "WOW"  :eek:

That rationale for 'elevating' the Army is to be seen to be doing something without the need to add any new money.  This is a classic case of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

I really can't forsee too much in the way of changing priorities or "Seniority" of the Services.  Both the Air Force and Navy would have to be "Beefed Up" to support the Army, or we will be in the same sh it, just a different pile.

GW

But the army is much more visible to the media.  Once they spend all the money on the army, they can look like they're beefing up the CF, when really all they're doing is destroying the Air Force and the Navy.  Then later, they can "equalize" the spending between departments, and reduce the "disproportionate" spending on the Army.  End result:  more cuts, with lots of press-sponsored hoopla about how they're improving things.  After all, if you get rid of armies, you get rid of war, right?

And the sheeple will elect them again.  Bloody Liberals.

Just another bitter comment, from another disillusioned Canadian...

Ahhh the tangled web they weave.

This must be how he is comming up with the 5000 troops it will be made up of sub drivers and fighter jockeys. 

man why do Canadians continue to put up with this.

I really hope the Conservatives take it to task if this "restructuring" is to take effect instead of fresh capital and fresh personal.

Hopefully this is just another uninformed reporter (and PMO Staffer) talking out of their ass. I am sure Admirals Buck (VCDS) and Maddison (DCDS) are ready to take Hillier behind the woodshed and set him strait.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20050127/POLICY27/TPFront/TopStories

What a joke. I love the fact that the Army is getting more money, but not at the expense of our Navy and Air Force brothers. A classic shell game. But don't worry, I'm sure this new dough and 5000 troops will be put to good use in the creation of a Peacekeeper Bde. I've recently seen a lot of new articles on this quintessential Liberal perversion of a defence plan, and it looks like the idea is gathering more steam.

Anyhow, not to get off topic. I have lost complete faith in the Liberal government regarding National Defence. Even after: the morale and pay problems of the 90's, 9/11, after Sea Kings fall out of the sky, after CF18's are grounded due to rot, after a sailor died aboard the first sailing of our 'previously enjoyed' sub, after our Allies asked for more help than we could provide.......they refuse to fund the military to even a remotely reasonable level.  

In their dream world, we all would be either DART members, or dedicated Peacekeepers......kinda like a Federal Peace Corps.

The new CF slogan (think Bud Light): "More waste, less killing!"

No thanks.

I find it almost humorous that some of you actually think  PC gov't would make a difference given all political parites track record.  More of the same.

I feel for you guys... I don't even know what to say anymore  :-\

I love Canada, and am proud to be Canadian (to the point that I still won't get my US Citizenship) but Canadian politics, for as long as I've seen it in action  - is a joke. Really some  most of this stuff you read - is exactly like what you would read in some 3rd rate banana republic. I mean - it gets so outrageous sometimes that SURELY they can't believe they are fooling anybody  ::)

muskrat89 said:
I feel for you guys... I don't even know what to say anymore   :-\

I love Canada, and am proud to be Canadian (to the point that I still won't get my US Citizenship) but Canadian politics, for as long as I've seen it in action   - is a joke. Really some   most of this stuff you read - is exactly like what you would read in some 3rd rate banana republic. I mean - it gets so outrageous sometimes that SURELY they can't believe they are fooling anybody   ::)
But they are fooling a lot of people - they get re-elected.  I wonder what that says about the collective IQ of the citizenry of our great nation.

I think you are confusing the relative roles of the Services within the CF in foreign policy development leading to current manning and funding priorities with the precedence claim of the Navy as "Senior Service" based on British traditions of predence of the Arms and Services. Two very different things, there was no mention of the Canadian Navy's establishment in 1910 in comparison to the dates of authorization for existing Army Regiments in the CF.

FTSO,

Below are the references in the article that you indicate that the "Army is the Senior Service".

And it will signal the formal elevation of the Canadian army to a senior position within the military, with sea and air forces reduced to support roles.

The army's rise to senior status is intended to give Ottawa more troops with which to advance Mr. Martin's interventionist agenda for dealing with failed or fragile states. "That's where the gaps are," a source said. "We saw that in Afghanistan and Haiti."

This article has no mention of the historical data that gives the Naval Service the distinction of the Senior Service. As Michael indicated, this is set in the history books as the Navy was established before the otehr servics.

It's at times like these where I like to take a moment out of my life and reflect on our country. The great accomplishments we have made, the redefining political decision over the years and then I goto my internet browser, and find a link that has brought me much happiness. I'm sure many of you have seen it, but that doesn't mean that you can't take times to watch it just that once more. It fits well with this subject in my opinion.

http://www.cbc.ca/MRL/clips/mondayreport/kabul_greetings.rm

-Spooks

What a crock. I hope the new CDS isn't going along with this, but I'm afraid he probably is given Gen. Hillier's past pronouncements on the subject.
If the fiasco surrounding the long delayed deployment of the DART hasn't taught the government the futility of this kind of thinking I don't think anything will make an impression on their institutional stupidity. What's the point of having a big, high-tech army (and I'm not convinced that this will happen anyway) if we don't have the sea- or airlift to take them anywhere? Let alone support them once they arrive ...
This could be a disaster in the making for the CF. We can only hope this is a story planted by the pointy heads in Fgn Affairs or the PMO.

I don't think that being mad at the lack of military spending by the government makes me any less proud to be Canadian.  I think the contrary is true.  I feel that by voicing your concerns you are showing that hey i am a proud Canadian and don't like the fact that you try and give us the shaft all the time.  

Given the conservatives track record i would tend to agree but a change is due.  And having the minority may actually be a good thing.  They may be forced to spend more on us to keep thier government in place.

You know what's funny, on my first BMQ weekend training course (Jan 21-23), our WO was explaining the roles of the other services due to someone asking a question. He said, "no other job in the CF would exist without the army or Land Force Command, every other trade exists to support us..." and such forth. I suppose, in a way it's true, but not to the extend he was making it out to be...

This is a sad day, but I think it's true, even before BMQ, our Sgt. was explaining the new CDS was "an army guy" and hardup for infantry and Land Forces and that they all expected the Army to get a nice boost. They can't wait it seems actually....

We'll see.... But this is what they're teaching the newbies!

:salute:

Navalsnpr said:
FTSO,

Below are the references in the article that you indicate that the "Army is the Senior Service".

This article has no mention of the historical data that gives the Naval Service the distinction of the Senior Service. As Michael indicated, this is set in the history books as the Navy was established before the other services.

I am not talking about the Historical issues of who is or isn't the "Senior Service" . I was referring to the article in which the Army needs in regards to personnel and equipment will take precedence over the needs of the Navy and Air Force. The author quotes a contact close to the review who said that Navy and Air Force needs that are not in support of the Army will be put lower on the priority list.

To me this means:

JSS will go ahead (I think that this is a terrible concept compounded by the idea that we only need 3, if we are going to get them then get 4)

Frigate mid life refits will be cut back severely

No replacement for the 280

No common hull project for future FFH and DDG replacements

Maybe get a OSPV

We will be confined to coastal waters except for the JSS. As a result we will again be depending on other nations to give us the protection when the JSS sails into dangerous waters (due to the nature of conflict at sea, what may be safe on day could be very dangerous the next).
Then when a crisis occurs in areas that are close to the sea shore, we will have to hope that there will be protection for us instead of bringing our own protection with us.

Haven't the politicos learned from the past at all? Since WWII it has been the Navy that has been able to react the quickest to a crisis and has been the first one to show the flag when it has been required. If we decide to lose this ability now, we will never get it back.

FTSO,

Definitely agree with all your comments in your last post.

I think the subject line for the initial post could have been better chosen. I know that I immediately went to the article after seeing the topic and could not find any direct reference to the "Senior Service" issue within the article of which the new topic was to be referring to.

Back