• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Master Corporals" - Merged Thread

warrickdll

Inactive
Reaction score
I tried this question out a short while back in Offr-NCO-NCM Relationships (http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/1268/post-341211/topicseen.html#msg341211) but there weren't any takers. Here it is again, slightly modified:

It has been pointed out that in different locations MCpls have had their own separate places away from the troops while in most locations they do not.  This -extra messing- would seem to indicate that the CF is unsure on how the MCpl fits into the structural rank/social relationship.

Keeping in mind that a lot of information and experience can be passed along in the semi-social conditions of a mess:

- Given that Officers do not have a split like this while NCOs do, is there a better way?

- Should there be an NCO mess instead of a Senior NCO mess?

- If not, then could the same reasons for keeping the section 2ic separate from the Senior NCOs also be applied to the section commander (as in – should there just be a WO mess)?

- Or is something everyone thinks Hellyer got right?

Note: This is not about renaming MCpls or any other rank, and this is not about changing their duties at all.

The reason Mcpls have their own mess at some bases could be a  frat issue.  These bases are training establishments, and MCpl is usually the first rank at which an NCO becomes an instructor. Now, the MCpls are not yet senior NCOs, so the cant be socializing at the Sgts and Wos mess.. And, some places frown upon the new recruits/students hanging out and drinking at the same mess as the people who are instructing them.. creates far too many problems.. Now, saying this.. There was a separate MCpls mess in Kingston 10 years or so ago, but there is no such thing there now.. But then again.. no one goes drinking there anymore anyway.. LOL..

Consider how officers manage this though – A 2Lt does not go to the Sgt & WO mess or the JRs.

In which case, if given a slight nudge there seems to be a desire to separate the MCpls from the Cpl/Ptes, why not just rename the the Sgt & WO mess the NCO mess?

PiperDown said:
The reason Mcpls have their own mess at some bases could be a  frat issue.  These bases are training establishments, and MCpl is usually the first rank at which an NCO becomes an instructor. Now, the MCpls are not yet senior NCOs, so the cant be socializing at the Sgts and Wos mess.. And, some places frown upon the new recruits/students hanging out and drinking at the same mess as the people who are instructing them.. creates far too many problems.. Now, saying this.. There was a separate MCpls mess in Kingston 10 years or so ago, but there is no such thing there now.. But then again.. no one goes drinking there anymore anyway.. LOL..

I was recently posted from the training centre in Meaford, and the Jr Ranks were indeed split - but the split was along the lines of "permanent staff (Pte to MCpl) - student" with the part time staff (i.e. reserve summer courses) using the "student" side of the mess. It was precisely to prevent fraternization that this was done, but as for a mess strictly by rank, no this wasn't the case. I haven't actually seen a "MCpls only" mess though - any takers?
As for no one drinking at the mess in Kingston... I resemble that remark! ;D

Yes, I have seen MCpls Messes, but only where sustainable, such as Cyprus, or the North Marg.

No, an MCpl should be able to sort out his own way in 'Da Ranks'.  We all had to, and I had some nights in the ranks when I was glad there were no Sr NCOs or WOs around, believe me.

Anyhow, do you really think three messes is needed for ORs (sorry, NCMs) while the officers can get by with one?

A recruit officer (OCdt) gets to drink beside the Base Commander, a recruit Private does NOT get to drink beside the Base RSM, does he?

Tom

TCBF said:
A recruit officer (OCdt) gets to drink beside the Base Commander, a recruit Private does NOT get to drink beside the Base RSM, does he?

Tom

"get" ?  ;D

TCBF said:
No, an MCpl should be able to sort out his own way in 'Da Ranks'.  We all had to, and I had some nights in the ranks when I was glad there were no Sr NCOs or WOs around, believe me.
Anyhow, do you really think three messes is needed for ORs (sorry, NCMs) while the officers can get by with one?

Not advocating a MCpl mess, just pondering why they should not be in the same one as WOs and Sgts. Take your example of the CO and the OCdt - now compare it to the RSM and a Mcpl - it doesn't seem too dissimilar.

And on the other hand if the section 2ic can sort out their way in The Ranks, why couldn't the section commander?

"get?" - You know what I mean.

This is a centuries old system that has proven itself through time.  The only issue is a MCpl's Mess, and it is not economically feasable where it cannot be operated as a 'Rest Area".

If you put young, on the bounce, gung-ho, inebrieated MCpls in the same mess as their SSMs and RSMs, a lot of careers would be summed up right quick.

TCBF said:
This is a centuries old system that has proven itself through time.  The only issue is a MCpl's Mess, and it is not economically feasable where it cannot be operated as a 'Rest Area".

If you put young, on the bounce, gung-ho, inebrieated MCpls in the same mess as their SSMs and RSMs, a lot of careers would be summed up right quick.

Again - Not advocating a MCpl mess

Only old if you only look at the rank-labels being used, consider:

- UK (and other nations) a section commander/tank cc is labeled a Cpl
- US  (and other nations) a section commander/tank cc is labeled a Staff Sgt
- Canada (and other nations) a section commander/tank cc is labeled a Sgt

Leaving the lower rank, respectively LCpl, Sgt, and MCpl.
The tradition only exists regarding the labels not the actual functions or responsibilities.
Or to look at it another – what benefit is it to have a Sgt with the WOs in the mess? And couldn't the same logic be applied to a MCpl.

I haven't really been to our mess in years, but I have heard from some of the old-timers over the years that it used to be in our mess that the MCpls had their own tables in the mess - it wasn't anything formal, it just evolved that the MCpls would sit together.  I think at that time a lot of them were commanding sections due to shortages of Sgts - these were lean years for the reserves.  And it used to be if a corporal or private did well on an exercise, he would be invited over by the MCpls to sit with them for a drink - it was supposed to be quite an honour at the time.  I never saw anything like that myself but have always been in a support trade and kind of peripheral to how the infantrymen treated one another. 

I guess the point is that there would be nothing stopping MCpls in any particular unit from doing the same thing - establishing their own territory in the mess and enforcing their own rules, if it was something they really wanted to do.  Don't see a need for it myself, but that's from a CSS and reservist perspective.

MCpl is an appointment......not a rank. If it was a rank, they MAY be entitled to separate facilities, but it's not. They are Jr NCO's, same rank area as a Corporal. They do not belong in the Sgts' and WOs' Mess. The Sgts' and WOs' Mess is the only mess you have to earn your way into. The others you belong to just by joining the CF either as a Pte (JRs') or an Officer (Offrs' Mess).

Appointment/Rank - a technicality that is only as much as one wants to make it – just for the sake of this discussion let us treat it as substantive (and earned).

A Sgt has earned their way into the mess only in as much as the army started to label section commanders as Sgts. This change is about 30 years old now but the wheels didn’t go flying off the system just because the WOs & Sgts mess changed form having platoon 2ics and up, to having section commanders and up. If the new style Sgts could be accommodated couldn’t MCpls?

What does a Sgt get out of being in the Senior NCOs mess? What harm would it do the CF if they returned to the JR ranks?

For the sake of the discussion, let's not. Don't try make it something it's not. MCPL IS NOT A RANK.

Sgts got to their Mess by hard work and courses, not only by time in. Section Commanders are but one small, tiny entity. A megre percentage of the Sgts in the CF. The world, nor the CF is centred around those few individuals that are Section Commanders in the Infantry.

The equivalent is applicable. The earned part is in regards to the fact that the criteria has been changed before. The person known as a Sgt today holds the same duties as a person known as a Cpl at the time of unification – they earned the same rank – it is only called/labeled something else now.

Appointment, sure - but the discussion is the same.

Iterator said:
The equivalent is applicable. The earned part is in regards to the fact that the criteria has been changed before. The person known as a Sgt today holds the same duties as a person known as a Cpl at the time of unification – they earned the same rank – it is only called/labeled something else now.
Appointment, sure - but the discussion is the same.

The eqivalent is not applicable.  Look beyond the combat arms.  Within the supply, transport, and ammo worlds most sections are run by MCpls.  As far as your equivalence with the British system is not completely accurate either.  Outside of the infantry, a lot of "section commander" appointments are at the Cpl level.  However, today the duties of a Sgt are much wider ranging.  Yes they may be an infantry section commander, but he may also be filling in for a long time as the battalion/regiment op WO, or run the clothing stores for the busiest training base in Canada.

The entire rank system has undergone a paradigm shift since unification and trying to apply pre-unification lables to current ranks is like putting square pegs in round holes.  Your proposal about a NCO's mess would be like allowing LCpls in the Sgts mess in a pre-unification environment.  After all LCpls were the section 2i/c, which is what MCpls are now.  I live and work with a British unit which is basically our pre-unification system that would not fly.

D

AmmoTech90 said:
The eqivalent is not applicable.  Look beyond the combat arms.  Within the supply, transport, and ammo worlds most sections are run by MCpls.  As far as your equivalence with the British system is not completely accurate either.  Outside of the infantry, a lot of "section commander" appointments are at the Cpl level.  However, today the duties of a Sgt are much wider ranging.  Yes they may be an infantry section commander, but he may also be filling in for a long time as the battalion/regiment op WO, or run the clothing stores for the busiest training base in Canada.

I’m getting bogged down in terminology soup of my own making…

- 1) many things are called a section and are not necessarily the same size or under someone of the same rank
- 2) many branches do not use the term section at all
- 3) some people not in the infantry still know what an infantry section is, and basically how it is organized
- 4) if someone does not fall under 3) then there is little I can do due to 1) and 2)

The entire rank system has undergone a paradigm shift since unification and trying to apply pre-unification lables to current ranks is like putting square pegs in round holes. 

And I am not trying to do that. All this stuff about sections and Sgts was to point out that the way it is now is not the way it has always been even though the names of the ranks may be the same.

Your proposal about a NCO's mess would be like allowing LCpls in the Sgts mess in a pre-unification environment.  After all LCpls were the section 2i/c, which is what MCpls are now. 

Yes, Thank-you. That is 1 of the 3 options. The others being a mess change in the opposite direction and the 3rd being status-quo.

I live and work with a British unit which is basically our pre-unification system that would not fly.

Again, Thank-you. The question though is, based on your experience, why / why not?

This was not meant to be Infantry specific.

Iterator said:
I’m getting bogged down in terminology soup of my own making…

- 1) many things are called a section and are not necessarily the same size or under someone of the same rank
- 2) many branches do not use the term section at all
- 3) some people not in the infantry still know what an infantry section is, and basically how it is organized
- 4) if someone does not fall under 3) then there is little I can do due to 2) and 3)

OK.  Well, lets define section, regardless of branch, as the smallest group of people usually employed to carry out a task.  So for a Rifle company, this would normally be a section.  For an ammo platoon it would be a warehouse team.  These could be broken down further, but then you are talking about a temporary measure.

Iterator said:
And I am not trying to do that. All this stuff about sections and Sgts was to point out that the way it is now is not the way it has always been even though the names of the ranks may be the same.

It all goes back to this quote of yours which may have made some people (or at least me) think you are view this from a very narrow perspective.

This change is about 30 years old now but the wheels didn’t go flying off the system just because the WOs & Sgts mess changed form having platoon 2ics and up, to having section commanders and up. If the new style Sgts could be accommodated couldn’t MCpls?

The only place there was a real change was in the infantry and some other combat arms.  As noted a lot of organizations had Sgts as section commanders pre-uni.

Iterator said:
Yes, Thank-you. That is 1 of the 3 options. The others being a mess change in the opposite direction and the 3rd being status-quo.

Going in the opposite direction would be somewhat similar to some US units I have worked with, who did not view US (Army) Sgts as Sr NCOs and they were relegated to corner of the mess while the Canadian Sgts were granted full status.  Of course US Sgts usually aren't in that rank too long.  It was not viewed as a good thing though, as it made the Sgts feel like a second class citizen.  I think that if you have to have a separate place for junior (note not Junior) NCOs then a "MCpls Club" is a better route than a "Sgts corner or room".

As much as I hate to say it, I think the status quo is good.  Canadian Sgts are usually quite a bit more mature (older) than US Sgts/SSgts and might not be at ease hanging out with Ptes and Cpls on a regular basis.  They usually have just as much TI, often more, and again the age comes up when working with the Brits.  This experience makes them accepted by the Brits in the Sgts mess even though they may doing the job of a British Cpl (and again, this generally only applies to Cbt Arms/Inf).  As well a Canadian Sgt would be employed in positions that a British Cpl would not be.  So the potential employment areas for a Canadian Sgt range from that of a Brit Cpl to a Brit SSgt.
As a slight aside the Brits put a lot of emphasis on rank you hold, not necessarily the duties you perform.  I am a Canadian WO, posted into the position of a British SSgt.  This around the right level.  But because I hold the rank of WO, I carry out the secondary duties normally assigned to WO1/WO2.  I cannot be a course sponsor because WOs do not do that, even though my colleagues (all Sgts/SSgts) do.  They are quite inflexible on that.  It is very similar to the picture painted for me of the pre-uni army buy the old and bold (sometimes retired) when I joined.  Your rank (even the name of your rank) determines your duties and expected performance. 

Iterator said:
Again, Thank-you. The question though is, based on your experience, why / why not?

The reason inviting JrNCOs in the Sgts mess (and thats what its called here, no WO and Sgts mess) would not work is that experience has shown people where the line is drawn. 
It does come down to discipline.  MCpls/Cpls can be employed as the first level of leadership.  This is where you prove yourself.  Once that has been done, you have earned your way in, and are invited into the Sgts mess.  Look at it like this.  Sgts mess contains the leaders leader's.  There is some shades of grey where you have section commanders, but the ranks in the Sgts are those who have the potential to be the second level or higher of leadership.  They are ones who can confirm discipline and help set the tone for discipline in the unit.  A certain amount of distance is required for that therefore we have the separate messes.

D

This worked well for our unit for quite a while.  As a MCpl, a bunch of us began an informal "Leaf Club" in the Jnr NCO mess.  It began as our own little corner table where we could get away from candidates on the course we were instructing minutes earlier, or from the new driver who wanted to get too informal with his/her new cc.  We were still in a position to provide wise and sage advice in an informal way.  We knew our place.

When I served in 3 PPCLI at Work Point Barracks (1983-86), the Ranks ("Patricia Arms") had an "official" Master Cpls club inside it, physically separated from the Cpls/Ptes. That is the last time I recall seeing a separate facility for MCpls, although I have spent my almost my entire service away from school environments, so I can't comment on what goes on there.

When I joined as a Militia soldier in 1974, inside the Ranks at Fort York Armoury in T.O. there was no separate facility for MCpls, but there was a very clear social distinction: there were "Cpls tables" where the MCpls and "command Cpls" (we still had quite a few Cpls acting as Section Comds) sat. If you didn't have the rank on your arm, you bloody well didn't sit at those tables!

As far as I can tell, both of these practices have faded away: probably because the MCpls themselves were not interested in sitting in a half-empty room, or being socially separated. But then, the whole business of going to the Mess has taken such a huge beating in the RegF (and even the Res...) in the last decade that maybe it's just part of a bigger trend.

My opinion on the structure of messes is that there really is no logical or functional basis for it: it is IMHO something we inherited from the social stucture of the British Army. It reflects the division of the Army into three groups: the upper class officers, the solid middle class NCOs ("who had to work to get there"-a very middle class view), and the raucous lower class represented by the Ranks. It has worked more or less for us over the last century or so, but its social underpinnings have vanished in the CF, and it if it's imagined to separate those who must lead each other, it doesn't really do that anyway, or else different ranks would have separate messes, not just different rank groups.

Cheers

recceguy said:
MCpl is an appointment......not a rank. If it was a rank, they MAY be entitled to separate facilities, but it's not. They are Jr NCO's, same rank area as a Corporal. They do not belong in the Sgts' and WOs' Mess. The Sgts' and WOs' Mess is the only mess you have to earn your way into. The others you belong to just by joining the CF either as a Pte (JRs') or an Officer (Offrs' Mess).

This is a completely true statement, at the same time it kind of hints that Sgt. and above are the only ranks in the CF you truly earn.  I disagree.  Yes, 1 hook and Corporal are gimmies regardless of Reg or Res, but that MCpl "appointment" is perhaps one of the hardest to attain "ranks" in the CF.  Consider that to get your foot on that rung of the ladder to go up, you have to be merited on a list against every Corporal in the Corps.  The forecast for this year is 55 MCpl.  Now, how many Corporals are there in the School, 12eRBC, RCD & LdSH(RC) ?  Give those with the leaf some credit, they're also in one of the toughest spots in the Army.  First point of contact in the CoC, handling all the Troops admin issues, playing the role of disiplinarian and also having to be approachable to Tpr. Cpl. types who have problems, doing their job within their Troop or Platoon ie; commanding a vehicle and being responsible for it and the crew....................

On top of all of it, this is a new Army.  Years ago, it wasn't uncommon to see a senior Corporal commanding a vehicle when various NCO's were on task, course or leave.  Now, the rules are way more rigid....... You have to be CLC/JLC/JNCO/PLQ (or whatever the #@!* they want to call it this year) as well as have your DP3A course to be qualified crew commander.  So with these stipulations in place, I'd say the MCpl. "rank" is really getting the short end of the stick.  Senior NCO's don't want them in their mess because it's an appointment......... a glorified Corporal if you will...... but thats ridiculous.  Those men and women with that "rank" are looked down upon by NCO's and yet by Corporal / Trooper types, eyed with a degree of suspicion because they still represent authority.  Absolute limbo!  I still hold the belief that they belong in the JR's because they are first point of contact in the CoC and as such should always be visible to JNCM's, rather the belief they be excluded from the NCO's mess because they are only "appointments"

How about we set up a special mess for MCpl.'s and MWO's?  After all, MWO is just an "appointment" as well?  ::)

Back