• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medals parades - why not make them public?

Gunner said:
On Athena Roto 2, there was discussion about keeping the GCS medals until we were back home in Edmonton.   They would be then presented at a large parade which would have also been the final "stand down" of Roto 2.   There really wasn't alot of support from the soldiers to do this and most prefered the traditional approach of receiving your medal with the guys you spent six months with in theatre.

On Op Palladium Roto 13 there was talk from the get-go of a post-deployment "Monster Medals Parade" in Ottawa for us and Roto 0 of Athena combined.  The troops were almost unanimously dead set against it for a variety of reasons.  Cooler heads prevailed and we received our medals in theatre.

Gunner said:
Most medals parades are held in theatre so it's a bit difficult for your loved ones to be there... ;)

Quite true, but some forethought and technology can overcome this.  In my camp I had a digital photo taken of each soldier receiving their medal(s) from the Comd LFCA.  These were then uploaded on the camp's common drive so everyone could e-mail one home or print one out.

Haggis said:

Quite true, but some forethought and technology can overcome this.   In my camp I had a digital photo taken of each soldier receiving their medal(s) from the Comd LFCA.   These were then uploaded on the camp's common drive so everyone could e-mail one home or print one out.

Good idea and Well Done! Haggis.

Did someone â “ a Public Affairs type â “ think to send copies to the local, hometown news outlets of each soldier?

In the days of my misspent youth we had to keep a record of the home town of each soldier and the unit Public Relations Officer (a secondary duty assigned to a moderately senior captain) mailed photos of individual soldiers (we had unit photographers: also secondary duties for selected soldiers with good cameras and some interest in the job; they got free film and a locally funded dark room for their work).  I was always impressed with the letters we got back from newspapers and radio/TV stations â “ big and small â “ thanking us for the pictures and little write ups.  Even big TV stations like CFTO in Toronto found time, sometimes, for a little spot, with a picture, about Pte. Bloggins getting an 'attaboy' from the CO for some worthy endeavour.

I have never been a big fan of the PR (communications) machine, but when we thought of it as public information, facts about which the public might wish to know, then I did see it work, in our 'home' communities â “ beyond London, Pembroke and Oromocto.

Hey 48th Regulator I have been looking to find you for years now.  We did our infantry QL3 together.  How are you doing?  Now for the the people on this forum, I have a question?  I have heard from a friend that there is a new special  duty area medal.  Is that true or is it just another rumor?

Honours and Medals Presentation parades would be a great way for the Canadian Army circa 2005
to have a much higher profile in the public sector. "Wings" parades in the RCAF/CF used to be
public events, as well as Course Graduation Parades at RCAF Bases Aylmer (KTS) Ontario, where
there were more than 4,000 personnel in the 'fifties and 'sixties. The Army needs a higher
profile, as I have suggested in an earlier post. For instance, the Grey Cup Game could accomodate
a Color Guard - we used to open the Annual Winter Fair at the CNE with regular and reserve
troops (great parties thereafter in Toronto the good). The Canadian Navy parades fairly often
in Halifax with the Stadacona Band, and the famous Band often presents public concerts - of
course Halifax is a Navy town, but Edmonton has had it's share of impressive parades. A suggestion
from MacLeod

Back