• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medic and Nurse

funny thing flaps, as me and paramedtech were at the JI today, one of the suggestions brought up and concurred with was that we should bring the JI instructors to our unit, and upgrade all our members who have OFA3 or Red Cross FR to EMRs. I am also a firm believer that all Reserve Med Tech QL3 should be an EMR course (QL3s). Do away with the useless AMFR2 which is not really recognized by anyone except St Johns, and give our members a licensed document to practice. This way, when they are really ready and truly want to become PCPs we then send them on it. That will be their QL4s. Also change the policy so that they are not longer mandatory promotable after their DP1. There are WAY too many Cpls running around for my liking, and way too many ppl who just get their second hook... well just because.

Lost Cargo said:
I got the general impression from discussions on this board that Medical Technicians tend to be reg while Medical Assistants are the Resv. version of the same trade. I was chatting with a friend in the reserves here in BC and he stated that things have changed because of the fires we had a few years ago. He said that the medics were not allowed to help because they were not pcp cert. and the reserves seem to want to have that capability. *shrug*. I know nothing about anything, so take what i was told for what its worth.

LC, there are no longer the title difference. Back when I joined in 03, I was one of the first few reservists that got designated as 737. Notice that I did not have the nice R usually found before the MOC? My fellow troops were still being designated R711 for some of them. I don't exactly remember when, but it was changed over so that everyone was a R737. Opps... sorry I forgot. R711 was the old Medical Assistant trade or MedAid. Now R737 is the new designation which is Medical Technician. So now we share the same MOC designator as our reg force counterparts, however, with the age old R, and the difference in standards and training.

MedTech,

It is good to hear that there is a new MOC for the reserves.  So how would you sum up the difference between the old 711 MOC and the 737?  Does it boil down to PCP training?  I am out of the loop a bit as I left the medical companies around '03.

I think no matter how you look at it, the reserve medical world needs a role.  I think that will help with retaining staff and giving new member something to shoot for as it is hard to keep people motivated otherwise.

flaps_at_10 said:
Just a little UFI, as of 2009 the med tech trg will be provided from Ontario courses, following Ontario curriculuim.

flaps_at_10 said:
The source of my UFI comes from the RX2000 reserve team...As for the REGF, the contract with the JI runs out soon and the powers to be are looking at the Ontario PCP program as the way ahead. is it....only time will tell?

So there is no official document or announcement, a competitive bid/contract process is still under way.

herseyjh said:
MedTech,

It is good to hear that there is a new MOC for the reserves.  So how would you sum up the difference between the old 711 MOC and the 737?  Does it boil down to PCP training?  I am out of the loop a bit as I left the medical companies around '03.

I think no matter how you look at it, the reserve medical world needs a role.  I think that will help with retaining staff and giving new member something to shoot for as it is hard to keep people motivated otherwise.

Oh my... well I guess the Reserves just followed suit with what our RegF counterparts did, and switched over to the new 737 designation. The real reason behind that, I will have to differ to some of my more learned brethren. I unfortunately don't know enough of about the RegF to really comment on anything. Sorry herseyjh.

Back