• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Assistant - Reserve

Aaron White said:
What about physical fitness ArmyMedic? ;D

That's a very good question.  A medic isn't much good if they are constantly the casualty themselves.  We had one medic that was attached to us for an EX and she was really fit and keen, but that doesn't seem to be the case 90% of the time.  We wanted to get her permanently attached to us....but....she went Reg F.  :'(

mclipper,
fitness is the foundation of a good soldier regardless of the trade.

You are right!  No doubt about that!  Unfortunately, maybe just our bad luck, we keep getting medics who go down with hypothermia, blisters, march is too fast, too long, too sunny out, moons aren't aligned right......you name it.  The biggest saying is "throw me over the fence and dial 911".

Forgive the lateness of my reply to all of this drivel.   I just had this site pointed out to me today.   Although a lot of information is to be gained from all this posting and replying, I found a lot of comments totally insulting.   For example, the one that got to me the most... :mad:

combat_medic said:
......Of the medics on my PLQ from 3 different Med Coys, none had done a full MLOC since they joined.

Along with all the other comments in reference to this PLQ.   I was on it and I can't believe the amount of half-truths and lies.   3 of the 5 medics on the course, myself included, were from the same unit.   I'm pretty sure I didn't dream the MLOC I do every, sometimes twice per year.   I also know we do this training because as leadership I have to write people off as having it done.   No MLOC or MCSP = no summer taskings in the medical field.    

As for the later quotes about Medics should have been RTU'd, I know one who should have been and eventually left the course.   I didn't find and lectures rushed and the instructors often volunteered their extra time to come in at night and make sure everyone understood what was going on.   In fact when it was all said and done, we were able to thank those instructors for all their hard work. BUT,   I assume you would know that had you actually COMPLETED the course.

Well, this soap box is a little to tall for me...too bad others aren't afraid of heights.  

The point that was made about MLOC (as you may have noticed if you read the entire thread) is that the med coys are not expected to complete MLOC to the same standard as the rest of the army. Perhaps you may not remember watching the infantry candidates having to not only run TOETs on support weapons, but to teach them as well, aften between classes and late at night. Maybe you forgot that, or weren't paying attention, because I'm pretty sure I didn't dream that up either. In any case, if units were running complete MLOC with all infantry support weapons, this obviously would be unecessary.

By the admission of everyone here, no medical units run complete MLOC courses (including all drills on all Pl support weapons, PWTs, fieldcraft, NBCD, mine awareness, navigation, first aid etc.), and said that they don't have to. Also, on course, you stated that while you did some weapons drills on in MLOC, it was not the complete MLOC course that the infantry go through, exactly what has already been stated by various other members of Med Coys. This was the same statement I got from the other medics, and most of the Svc Bn candidates as well. Unless everyone was (and still is) lying about this, all I have been trying to do is address a systemic problem with the MLOC program, in that a great many people fail to complete the course in its entirety; which is causing problems in the combined arms training.

As for medics being RTUd, there was no naming names, but rather a very general statement about people not completing the course pre-requisites who should not be sent on course. You may wish to re-read the previous posts a little more carefully. Would you send a troop on a course that you honestly didn't think they were prepared for? Do you think it's fair to the other candidates who did complete all the pre-requisites?

As for the petty $hit slinging and personal insults, you're welcome to sit alone on your soap box. You should also be aware that going behind someone's back to spread rumours about them to members of their unit while on exercise, and generally behaving like a junior high school child is also not the kind of decorum and professionalism that are needed in the Canadian Forces. Feel free to take it elsewhere.

My, how self-important we are. You can take your accusations  and stuff them.   
combat_medic said:
As for the petty $hit slinging and personal insults, you're welcome to sit alone on your soap box. You should also be aware that going behind someone's back to spread rumours about them to members of their unit while on exercise, and generally behaving like a junior high school child is also not the kind of decorum and professionalism that are needed in the Canadian Forces. Feel free to take it elsewhere.

I have never and will never spread rumors about anyone.  See, that would be slander and slander is chargeable.  And how the hell could I spread rumors on exercise with your unit when I'm not even from BC? Who's accusing now, genius? Well I'm out, I have better things to do than waste my time on you.  Write whatever witty comeback you can think of, No one really cares what you say.

Medic937 said:
I have never and will never spread rumors about anyone. See, that would be slander and slander is chargeable. And how the heck could I spread rumors on exercise with your unit when I'm not even from BC?

Then you weren't on Op Peregrine? The troops who told me invented your name, rank and unit out of thin air (they had a very accurate physical description of you as well, btw)?

Since you have no "time to waste", although you seem to have had time enough to be insulting, then by all means leave. And with regards to the huge axe you have to grind with me after more than a year since we even spoke; get over it. If you don't move on and let things go, you're going to give yourself an ulcer.

Medic937 said:
My, how self-important we are. You can take your accusations  and stuff them.   

I have never and will never spread rumors about anyone.  See, that would be slander and slander is chargeable.  And how the hell could I spread rumors on exercise with your unit when I'm not even from BC? Who's accusing now, genius? Well I'm out, I have better things to do than waste my time on you.  Write whatever witty comeback you can think of, No one really cares what you say.

She's actually proven her worth, to the Forces in general and to this board in particular, time and time again.  She is extremely well respected by the directing staff. 

You, however, are advised that insults and namecalling won't be permitted here as a matter of course.  If you have issues, I suggest you take them to PM, or if you are truly as brave as you say, perhaps in person.

Maybe this needs to be locked up.

No kidding Michael.

Medic937, welcome to our house, who the fuck are you?

What needs to be locked is not the thread...

but this personal vendetta.

Nothing I hate more is when two women don't get along/don't work well together because of some petty statement, precieved insult, slight action which we men would just ignore....

And I see it too much in MY TRADE to put it up with it here.

Armymedic said:
What needs to be locked is not the thread...

but this personal vendetta.

Nothing I hate more is when two women don't get along/don't work well together because of some petty statement, precieved insult, slight action which we men would just ignore....

And I see it too much in MY TRADE to put it up with it here.

You freaking jerk, what you're really saying is that you think I'm fat.  Aren't you.  AREN'T YOU!!!! 
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Armymedic: how true. Sometimes I think that men handle such things better; have a row, throw a few punches, then shake hands and have a beer. Problem solved. I find women tend to hold grudges forever.

Children...children...children....

No, medics don't do the full MLOC.  We do what we are mandated by our headquarters to do.  The last time I did the full MLOC it was 5 full training days.  Doing this and the new bigger MCSP would leave most Reserve medical units with time (& money!) for little else in the training year.  If such training is required, ie pre-deployment, then those medics needing it will make it up.

All the support waepon training is more applicable to the cbt arms as that is their trade.  We medics have our own trade requirements to maintain which includes yearly MSCP, yearly CPR-C, current SFA, BTLS, AMFR, and whatever civilian quals you maintain.  It is in itself an onerous task to organize and maintain on a Cl A schedule and budget without adding the extra "could knows".  I believe that if some individuals turned down the "combat" and turned up the "medic" parts of their careers they would find it much more harmonious.

On an aside, it never fails to amuse me how many people think that PLQ/JNCO/ISCC is the be all and end all of their and other's military careers.  Many people excel at these courses but are only fair to middling leaders mainly because they don't play well with others.  Others squeak thorough the courses and make excellant leaders because they can apply the principles they were taught and relate to people better.  Leading section attacks and teaching C-6 lectures are a means to an end not an end in itself.  As the Commandant of the RMA said,"At Sandhurst we don't teach platoon commanding we use platoon commanding to teach leadership." :dontpanic:

I have been in long enough to remember completing full MLOC/Warrior/DLOC (whatever you want to call it) and remember feeling a little disappointed when it changed to the scaled back model. Recently I brought this thread up to friends (infantry types) and asked their opinion.

While I might feel a stronger affection for the soldier skills ( I do believe CSS needs to be fit and functional and psychologically well balanced; I also believe in field presence), I know that I am not ever going to be a C-6, Karl G (mis-spelled), M-72 expert. I do not require to be trained to operate weapons that would contravene the principles of the geneva convention (if it came down to it I am sure I could figure it out in a pinch). I do miss the weapons (I really like the weapons). I suppose as I get older I understand the challenges and triumphs we have as medics in maintaining the most complex weapon in the world, the human soldier, and I can be relaxed about not being as proficient as our combat arms soldiers on those weapons. After all it is their job to be competent on them, I don't expect them to be able to be EMR's (not hard, but time consuming-like the weapons)...I at least expect them to be combat first aiders.

Williams, M.

While I believe any medic who employed in the fd role should do full MLOC/ELOC level training, when I see a unit like 3 RCR complaining because they don't have enough ammo, range time, practice to qualify the 031's of the unit, I am forced to rethink my position...

For us, there is really no reason to be given extensive classes on the larger weapons and actually shoot them all on the range every yr. Because ammo = $, I'd rather see trg $ go to medically based training vs the big boom down range. Things we NEED to cont doing is the heavier wpns C6, Carl G, grenades famil and dry training. We NEED to shoot C7 PWT 1 to qualify(I'd prefer level 3 but...), and I like to see a 200 rd C9 shoot every yr or 2.

With that said the wpns portion, the remainder of MLOC level training shouldn't change from yr to yr, and for some reason NBC seems to take a back seat every yr.

The other reason Medical Pers need to do MLOC is the simple fact that you must make the weapn safe prior to treating the patient, decreases the risk of an "accident" happening.  In addition to this, when the shit hits the fan I want to be able to work all the weapons... i think you could allow the "defend your patient" to become "defend your future patients if you don't grab the section support weapon that has just lost it's gunner and loader"

RatCatcher said:
The other reason Medical Pers need to do MLOC is the simple fact that you must make the weapon safe prior to treating the patient, decreases the risk of an "accident" happening. In addition to this, when the crap hits the fan I want to be able to work all the weapons... i think you could allow the "defend your patient" to become "defend your future patients if you don't grab the section support weapon that has just lost it's gunner and loader"

Absolutely true and why all weapons are taught. In my unit the entire MLOC is gone through. There is no differentiation for medical. In some units they are only taught the unload for just this reason. Does not make sense to me but there you are.

RatCatcher said:
The other reason Medical Pers need to do MLOC is the simple fact that you must make the weapon safe prior to treating the patient, decreases the risk of an "accident" happening. In addition to this, when the crap hits the fan I want to be able to work all the weapons... i think you could allow the "defend your patient" to become "defend your future patients if you don't grab the section support weapon that has just lost it's gunner and loader"

If the medic is acting as number 2 on a C6 then who is providing care to the wounded? True, the first priority taught to every first aider and higher is to make the scene safe and in a combat zone this means that you win the fire fight but you would be better off with your C7 and letting a more experienced person act in the other role. It is a question of priority. A member of the infantry can act as the number two (or one) on a gun and in a pinch so can the trained medic. The question is can an infanteer act as the medic TCCC aside? The answer is no.

Therefore although teaching the medic to use the crew served weapons is great, do not expect them to be able to step into the role. I would tend to draw the line at TOW and 81 mm mortar.

GF

Any Word on any changes coming up to the Med Tech trade, in particular reserves training levels?

From OP Med MOC discussions,

Once the Reg force MCSP and other training is done in the next 2 yrs, then they will tackle the reserve side.

Back