• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Chits

spr_sldr

Inactive
Reaction score
I've been talking to some of the guys in my unit about medical chits and using other kit. Before I looked into it more I wanted to ask on here.
I'm looking to get a Jump Ruck, my buddy got one and I used it on an exercise, and instead of the next day my back being FUBAR I could move my neck and back around fine. My issue ruck used to be fine, but I worked at a stone quarry this summer and pulled a muscle in my back, and to begin with I've always had back problems but that didnt make it any better.
How do I go about getting a medical chit for this? Is it possible? Thanx.

Its a little more difficult since you're a reservist, and not entitled to a lot of medical care (especially since your injury was caused outside military time). I guess by asking on the forum, you haven't gotten permission from your unit to just buy one (at your own expense) and wear it, so that idea is out.

Basically, you'll need to be on Cl B for the summer, show up at the MIR for sick parade, and try to get refered to physio where they can write you a chit.

thats what i was afraid of, o well, ill pass it up the chain of command and see what i can get.
there are alot of guys in the unit that use them, and have stuff like SWAT boots and the chits to go with it, so i know it can be done, i juts thought id ask on here.

You could also try using the search function.  There are quite few threads out there.

What I would do is check with the unit on the policy.  There are many units out there who do not have a problem with pers using 64 pattern ruck and alot of units don't require med chits.  It will cost you to buy one as there aren't any in the system except at the jump companies.  Check prices as there is quite the variation out there.  PM me if you need any info

My wife uses that set-up for a different reason -- she's too short for the '82.  I've tried it once or twice and have noticed no difference.  Same heavy load, same distance.  Same suck.

I know a few people who claim miracles have occured after swapping frames.  No more lower back pain, no more knee pain, ability to play violin, etc.  However,  I have to wonder how much of it is kititis or placebo effect.

If you have better pads with the bag and frame there is a difference.  Can't be a placebo effect for everybody that uses it and there are alot

Hi, long time reading, first time posting.

Just having a quick question and I couldn't find the answer on here:
I got injured 2 days ago while doing unit PT, and received a 30 days MEL at the MIR. I am supposed to go on a trade qualification course next week and I know I won't be able to do anything over there with my injury, course is physically demanding. My CoC still want to send me on course, so I would like to know if there is anything I can do to remove my name from the course loading list. My concern is that I will piss the staff off when I show up with a medical chit and end up being recourse anyway with a bad course report. Any policies in the CF for that situation?

Thanks.

John7771796 said:
Hi, long time reading, first time posting.

Just having a quick question and I couldn't find the answer on here:
I got injured 2 days ago while doing unit PT, and received a 30 days MEL at the MIR. I am supposed to go on a trade qualification course next week and I know I won't be able to do anything over there with my injury, course is physically demanding. My CoC still want to send me on course, so I would like to know if there is anything I can do to remove my name from the course loading list. My concern is that I will piss the staff off when I show up with a medical chit and end up being recourse anyway with a bad course report. Any policies in the CF for that situation?

Thanks.

If you think the injury will "definitely" prevent you from completing all of the required training, then just return to your MIR and ask to have your current chit amended to read "Unfit occupational training courses".

That's the simple solution.

In reality and seeing as your CoC is already aware of the MEL's, they should contact the training agency who is going to conduct the training and find out if your MEL's are an impediment.

DAA said:
In reality and seeing as your CoC is already aware of the MEL's, they should contact the training agency who is going to conduct the training and find out if your MEL's are an impediment.

I was wondering if there might be anything on the joining instructions stating the member must be physically fit?

PMedMoe said:
I was wondering if there might be anything on the joining instructions stating the member must be physically fit?

If it's the same across the board, all of mine have had mentally/dentally/physically fit as a requirement(LFAAD 5.2.6).

I think all CTP'S state member must be medical fit but usually have a disclaimer like this one from the now defunct Engr Recce SGT - OPS NCO course:

MEDICAL CONSIDERATIONS
17. Units sending students for training are responsible for ensuring that their members are fit to attend course upon arrival at CFSME. If a member has any medical restrictions (i.e., light duties, Medical Employment Limitations (MELs), temporary or permanent medical category, etc.) the home unit must confirm with their medical staff that the member is capable of completing all tasks associated with the training they will be participating in. In many cases, this will involve additional discussion with medical staff to ensure they understand the physical requirements associated with specific training tasks. A detailed list of the tasks for each course is available in the course Training Plan and any questions regarding the exact nature of a task can be directed through the CFSME Adjutant.

When I would assess a student's MELs I found it helpful when DS would provide some description of what the course entails, eg:

Memorandum

1000-1 (1 Pl Comd)

18 Jun 08

OIC MIR

PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES INCLUDED IN
COMMON ARMY PHASE (CAP) TRAINING

1. The intent of this memorandum is to inform medical authorities of the specific physical demands of Common Army Phase (2008). Please refer to the below activities when considering medical restrictions for students on light duties for all three CAP courses.

2. The fol activities will be conducted by CAP students throughout the summer:

a. Sect attacks are done with Helmet, tac-vest, fragmentation vest, and C7 or C9, extra-ammunition, and water. The students will move over close terrain up to 2 km and conduct 10 attacks including, on average, 300-400m of short sprints wearing combat boots, with short moments of firing from the prone between sprints. Terrain is often very uneven;

b. Patrolling Operation including wearing a tac-vest, fragmentation vest, helmet, weapon, ammunition and other mission essential kit (Night Vision Devices, Machete, Wire Cutters, First Aid Kits, Water, IMPs, etc) through difficult terrain for distances up to 6-10km per day. Candidates can expect to rest 5 hrs daily;

c. Defensive Operations including wearing a tac-vest, frag-vest, helmet, and carrying a weapon. Physical exertion focuses on constant low-intensity work for extended periods of time 12-16 hrs/day, and sparse rest periods;

d. Daily physical fitness training is an essential element of course. Officer candidate training is generally more intense than that of an NCM DP1 course. The fol activities are conducted during CAP PT sessions:

1) 5-8 km road run (course standard is 5 km in 25 min);
2) Upper body circuit training (course standard is 40 pushups);
3) Core muscle circuit training (course standard is 75 situps);
4) Bayonet drill; and
5) Forced weightload (Rucksack) marches of 4-10km at a 6 km/hr pace.

3. Candidates will be participating in build up training to complete the LFCPFS (BFT). The BFT is a 13 km rucksack march completed in 2hr 26min with a total weight of 24.5 kg, followed by a 100m “firemans” carry in 60 seconds, and a timed trench dig. This is a course requirement; therefore participation in build up training is essential.

4. All field training is considered more physically demanding than course PT.

Of course we would/should avoid writing vague MELs like "unfit training", so having some idea of what the course entails helps ensure the MELs are specific and gives student and DS every opportunity to train within the bounds of what's medically-reasonable. It also helps us picture how intense the course is - for example, a recovering student might be able to do a one-off run or ruck, but if it's going to keep adding up without opportunity for rest, I think that also needs to be part of the MEL thought process.

Ideally we medical staff would get lots of opportunity to go to the training area and see for ourselves what happens; if not, I found a description like this would be the next best thing.

Hi everyone!
I have a small question that i think a few persons might be able to answer because i can't find any to my problem. My Soldier Qualification in Valcartier is starting in less than a month, the 10Th of September to be exact. I went to the MIR for water in my knee, i only wanted to stop for maybe 3 weeks to be able to go on my SQ without any problem and continue my physio, but the doctor gave me a 30 days Chit to give me more time. It means that the Chit will end the 12Th, 2 days after my course is started and my superior can't send me on the course. I tried everything to talk to a doctor or a duty Officer in Borden but i can't have a minute talk with them. I would just like to know if it's possible to change the duration of my medical chit for only 3-4 days or simply cancel it. If i can't cancel it i can say goodbye to my SQ and to the only french Vehicle Technician course that will start this year. My sergeant can't change the medical file and an answer of one of you would be more than grateful.
Thank you very much for your time and sorry for my poor english

Only a medical officer can change the conditions on your chit, but yes, with re-evaluation they should be able to change it.

They won't let you make an appointment?

The next appointment they can give me would be in more than a week, but my sergeant as to put the name of everyone this week for the course or something like that, this is why i go to the MRI for the sick-parade tomorrow if my staff let me. I think that you answer my question, i heard that the don't re-evaluate medical Chit but i might heard wrong, i just need 2 days less on it. I'll try, thanks again

Your staff can't deny you going to sick-parade, nor can they ask you what you went to sick parade for. All they can really ask is if whatever you were seen about will affect your military duties in any way.

That being said, if they can't change it for you tomorrow you're shit out of luck. Your Sgt and the course staff can't legally ignore your chit and let you on the course because it's "only the last two days". Further, no one can change your medical status, MELs, restrictions, etc. except for a medical doctor.

Good luck.

Lumber said:
Only a medical officer can change the conditions on your chit, but yes, with re-evaluation they should be able to change it

Incorrect; any clinician (doctor, physician assistant or nurse practitioner) can change medical limitation AFTER re-evaluation.

The remainder of your points are correct.

Thank you for your answer, i'll go to the sick parade tomorrow, like you said they can't really stop me if it's for a good reason. My sgt say that if i get hurt the first day of SQ and i'm still on Chit she will get in trouble. So i'm going to tell them i just want to have a shorter Chit to be able to go in my course and that i'll take more physio appointment to be sure to solve my problem, that i didn't know it was like that and that i didn't need 30 days in the end.

Back