• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Officer Training Plan (MOTP) [MERGED]

The point CombatDoc was makig is that you have a very long road ahead of you and no matter what you must get accepted to medical school before you can apply for MOTP or go for direct entry. Since that is going to take time the needs change for the CAF and no one is going to tell you which has a greater probability. If you get accepted to MOTP and the CAF is paying your way you will owe service back to them which would mean you will have been accepted by the CAF as long as you pass school.

The CF doesn't care that much, tbh. From a financial POV, MOTP makes more sense at this time - direct entry used to have a signing bonus associated with it to defray the costs of your education, but no longer does. Under MOTP not only do you get a salary, but tuition, books, travel for mandatory away rotations etc is paid. And your time in school is pensionable time.
If the CF becomes desperate for MO's again in the future, the signing bonus for direct entry will likely reappear; if it doesn't, it won't.

If you apply out of HS, you're not applying MOTP - you can only apply MOTP once you have been accepted into a medical school (it actually used to be after you have completed the first year of a 4-yr med school, not sure if that changed).
Not only that, but if you're accepted MOTP, you can only do your residency in Family Medicine. Provided you remain interested in medicine, you might find your interest drifting to other fields. Maybe you'd rather be a vascular surgeon, or a pediatrician, or whatever - if you're in MOTP you don't get the choice.

For structuring your undergrad (the MD is also considered undergrad, which is confusing, but in Canada you need a minimum of 3 years' of undergrad before applying to med school, and generally a full 4-year degree if preferred), most pre-med programs pre-structure it for you, but check out the prerequisite courses required to apply to the various med schools. UWO used to have a bunch of very specific ones, but now appears to have dropped this requirement. Provided you include the prerequisites, you can pick any major you like for undergrad, you don't need to stick with whatever the school offers as a "pre-med" option.

As for A/N/AF - medical is a "purple" trade. Regardless of the environmental uniform you wear, you can be posted to an Army, Navy, or AF base. Whether you yourself are Army and the posting is AF won't matter.

Thanks both of you, your answers have definitely cleared up a lot of question I had. I do, however, have one more. If I am accepted into MOTP, after my 4th year med school will I have to apply for my residency or does CF organize residency programs for OCdts?

You apply through CaRMS but into a funded Family Res position. Basically, you are a free resident for the program (instead of being paid by the residency program, you're being paid by CAF). Most if not all programs with have an MOTP/MMTP spot (or more than one spot), so your competition is only other MMTP's/MOTP's. These are the spots for the 2013 Match:
https://www.carms.ca/eng/r1_sched_family_nd_e.shtml

You will be required to apply for a spot at your own institution to save the CAF $$$ on interview travel, and will be allowed to apply to a number of other institutions. If you match at a different institution, the CAF will pay for your move.

Hi,

My name is private Kadhim, I've been with the reserves for about 4 years now with the Engineers... I just got accepted to a few medical schools outside of Canada: Ireland, Poland, and the Caribbean.  I would like to apply to the medial officer training program, would they fund my med school if I do it outside on Canada?
If there's any related posts that I've missed that could answer my question, please leave a reply
Thanks

No. They will only fund to Canadian Universities. I have looked into it before. Even at that, there are certain Canadian Universities that they prefer... but will consider all of them.

CFAO 9-63, in part:

GENERAL
3.    The MOTP and DOTP provide at public expense:

a.  in the case of MOTP, three academic years of training and two
          years of postgraduate training required for family medicine
          certification for undergraduates in the Faculty of Medicine at a
          university in Canada who are enrolled in the Regular Force and
          are assigned to the medical officer military occupation code
          (MOC); and

Yup, the system simply isn't set up for it. It would require auth for an OUTCAN educational posting (a few of those exist for postgrad studies in the CAF Health Services, but not undergrad med school - and those that exist are ones that can't be received inside Canada, as Canada doesn't offer, for ex, fellowships in Aerospace Med).

And to compound things even more, if you do your Medical Studies outside Canada, graduate and then wish to pursue a career with the CF as a Medical Doctor, you would then have to obtain an accredited internship from a recognized Canadian University or Hospital and also obtain residency on your own, prior to even submitting an application to the CF.

I've been looking into this, and I am going to talk to someone at my personnel selection office about it. But I was wondering if there is currently a path that an NCM could take that would provide the required training to go from an NCM to a Medical officer.. I am aware of the UTPNCM, CEOTP, and CFR programmes. None of those seem to be an option for someone wishing to become a medical officer. I suspect that it is because of the many years of schooling it takes to become a doctor. Outside of putting in a release and going back to school for a few years then re-applying through the MOTP I don't see a way to do it.. So there it is that is my question.

If you already have a degree or are working on one, you can try to apply through the MMTP - there is a special comminssioning pathway that is sometimes opened up so that qualified NCO's can apply.  Another option is, if you're a Med Tech, get your PA training, do your obligatory service and then try through the MMTP program - I've known a couple of people that actually had that dangled in front of them.  Otherwise, I'd say you could do UTPNCM, get your commission, do your oblig time and go MMTP or get out, go back to school and go MOTP as mentioned.

Hope that helps.

MM

Keep in mind that the CAF does not have any dedicated seats in med schools for military members.

So, the key to any military medical training program will be your ability to get accepted into a Canadian medical program based on your merits (academic, social, experiential, etc).  All that to say you will likely need an undergraduate degree before bring considered for admission to a med training program. 

Hi, I'm 14 and I was just wondering if I could have some clarification on the Medical Officer Training Plan. I have done a lot of research on the forces.ca site but I can't seem to find enough information. First of all, I was wondering if the Forces pay for your undergraduate degree too, or just your medical degree. I was also wondering about the specifics and details on specializing in psychiatry or other medical specializations. I also read that you could go to any university and that it didn't have to be Canadian. Is that true? And would the forces still pay for your medical degree there? Even as a medical officer, do you still have to take the basic officer training course with guns and camouflage and all that? Does that mean that even as a medical officer, you still will be fighting in the front lines in Afghanistan? My last question is what undergraduate course or courses are prerequisites for the MOTP?

Hi, I'm 14 and I was wondering if there is anyone that has successfully done or that has applied to the Medical Officer Training Plan. If possible, I'd like to know the full details. Also, I'm specifically looking for someone in the field of psychiatry...

Good day clueless_stranger,

Questions on the Medical Officer training plan have been asked and answered in depth on this form. You can conduct more research on this site for more detailed answers as i will be brief in mine.

Medical Officer Training Plan (MOTP) the minimum requirements for applicants is to already have an undergraduate degree completed (Not Paid for by the CAF under a paid education plan) and have gained admission into a recognized Canadian university medical program. All CAF paid education programs are for Canadian Colleges and Universities only.

All officers take BMOQ before moving onto trade specific training, this does not mean that they will be in the front lines of the battlefield in the event that they are deployed overseas on operation or humanitarian assistance with the DART team. We are no longer in Afghanistan for current operations visit the following link: http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/operations/current-list.page#tab-1424977816603-5

There is information on our recruiting website on the medical related occupations, I have provided the links to the occupations below.

Bio Science Officer:  http://www.forces.ca/en/job/bioscienceofficer-51

Dental Officer: http://www.forces.ca/en/job/dentalofficer-45

Medical Officer: http://www.forces.ca/en/job/medicalofficer-50

Nursing Officer: http://www.forces.ca/en/job/nursingofficer-53

Pharmacy Officer: http://www.forces.ca/en/job/pharmacyofficer-48

Physiotherapy Officer http://www.forces.ca/en/job/physiotherapyofficer-44

Social Work Officer: http://www.forces.ca/en/job/socialworkofficer-54

For undergraduate degrees meeting the requirements for acceptance into an approved Canadian Medical school I suggest that you conduct a search of the Canadian Medical schools to find the information pertaining to their requirements for admission.

I have briefly answered your questions, more information can be fond by conducting a better search of this site. 

clueless_stranger said:
Hi, I'm 14 and I was wondering if there is anyone that has successfully done or that has applied to the Medical Officer Training Plan. If possible, I'd like to know the full details.

MOTP discussions you may find of interest,
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+army+versus+navy&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=dRu6VYfzDqSC8QftzJuYBw&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+motp&start=0

clueless_stranger said:
I was also wondering about the specifics and details on specializing in psychiatry or other medical specializations.

Medical officer specializations for advancement.
http://army.ca/forums/threads/103150.0/nowap.html

Clueless-stranger,

You are 14 years old. First, finish high school near the top of you class. After that, complete a university degree near the top of your class. Finally, apply to a Canadian medical school and get accepted. ONLY THEN think about MOTP.

You have approx 8 more years of academic challenges ahead. Good luck.

Is there a path for officers (I have noted the ones I would like to apply to) who are currently serving to become a medical officer. For example, after 2 years into full time service, I would like to apply to medical school in Canada. Through my own academic merits (GPA, MCAT, extracurriculars) I am accepted, would the CAF then allow me to pursue medical school if I want to become a medical officer? Or would I have to finish my obligatory service and then apply, become accepted, and reapply for the medical officer position.

Also more specifically, would commanding officers not give reference letters, etc. if I asked for it since the application process at many schools requires it?

Back