• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Services restructuring...

I think the number of class room days is alright for the QL3, now we need to add an OJT package to it.

The first fracture a reserve medic sees shouldn't be in the field, the first airway they manage shouldn't be on Ex, the first art bleed they need to get a grip on shouldn't be 3 hours away from back up.

If you look at the difference in the NOCP's for FR vs PCP, FR's must be "familiar with" or "Demonstrate in a simulated setting" many of the skills that a PCP has a field preceptorship in, and must demonstrate competency in the field.

CF medics are frequently, even on dom ex or dom ops, it for medical support. For HOURS.

I know, working civi side, that if I really can't manage a patient, I can ask for airevac, I can ask for an ALS interecept, or I can pull into a local community health center to find a doc to give me a hand or take over, depending on what's what.   CF medics very rarely have the luxury, and they need to have a better understanding, outside of the classroom, of what works and what doesn't.

DF

It should be a standard OJT that new medics back from summer QL3 are assigned a preceptor or two and brought into the local civy ER for a weekend. Have the preceptor observe them while they practice assessments and as many BLS skills as they can. Start enforcing the skills they learned and make sure they can function hands-on instead of classroom.

old Medic,

This is exactly what I have been trying to do for three years now. Each time I am told that we need a MOU with the district and that there is only one person in Ottawa working on it.  :mad:

The first concept I had was to bring them up onto my old Surge ward. 47 beds, vascular and thoracic surgery mostly with some general put in to keep things interesting. 8 Obs beds.
Gee what does the CF have that is around that number...an FSH. 50 beds. It is the closest thing the civi system has but I can't get troops in because there is no  MOU in place.

GF

Instead of one man in Ottawa trying to work on all these letters of understanding, It sounds like they need some generic agreements that the units could individually take to the local facilities. A generic agreement the CO or the local MO could use to work out details with a hospital.
Colleges and Universities enter into these all the time for various types of medical students.

Probably the only way to fix that, is have the CO's and MO's start up their chain of command.

I can understand a concern over liability, but in a clinical setting like a hospital, the patient belongs to the hospital staff.  It shouldn't be that hard to overcome.

No problem Brad,

As for the liability, yes the patients are under the care of the hospital and the medical staff are covered by that facility. The question is what kind of liability do we Cary when we are treating Civies? The answer is zip unless there is some special scenario set up. I would be interested to know what the arrangement is with the trauma training facility at VGH. Paramedtec, can you ask around?

Anyway that is the biggest hurdle that I have come across.

G

I'll ask the CPO2 who runs the place next time I see him, should be next week sometime.

DF

Medtec,

Any word on this?

I am confident we can find a sec at Cougar Salvo to sit down and have a coup of coffee over this and other issues

GF

Back