• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Services restructuring...

I was self-censoring.  Never noticed the 'puter does it for you.

RN PRN said:
So the three of us are in support, how do we get the rest of CFMG on side so that we can offer some quality training and have a decent end product?

GF

Probably the only chance is some well written proposals, a trial study, and a strong, documented result.
Any takers?

I could do it with assistance. What do you day DF and Old Medic
The logical pilot course should be my unit for several reasons the formost of which would be that you have already won over the Ops/Trg O ;D.

We will have to pitch at both the Reg Area surgeon and Fd Ambs so that once the proposal is done the medics can be employed to the level that they are instructed to.

The proposal I believe should be over and above the normal training so that MCSP is not compromised.

We could easily use next training year as the target for this with final confermation at the next area concentration.

RN PRN, whats the fascination with PHTLS?

BTLS is and will remain to be the standard of prehospital trauma care in the CF. Dispite what you may infer with the development of TCCC from the US, and what Edm and 1 Fd Amb did with the with thier pilot courses, BTLS will maintain its revelence in the CF medical system.

It is not my fascination with PHTLS,

CFMG in its ultimate wisdom has decreed that the reserves will from this day forward teach PHTLS and not BTLS. What I am trying to do is come to terms with how I can incorporate the new system, my skill base and the theory and aplication of a TCCC based package to better the medical skills of the reserve medic.

I am a BTLS Advanced instructor and although I have not seen the format or changes that PHTLS will cause I am hesitant as it is only offered and recognised in Eastern Canada.

What my fascination is with is the concept of TCCC and battlefield treatment of casualties by buddy aid and then the medical branch.

GF

RN PRN said:
It is not my fascination with PHTLS,

CFMG in its ultimate wisdom has decreed that the reserves will from this day forward teach PHTLS and not BTLS. What I am trying to do is come to terms with how I can incorporate the new system, my skill base and the theory and aplication of a TCCC based package to better the medical skills of the reserve medic.

Say WTF???  :eek:

Since when was that, and why would it be sooooo out of step with what we are doing on the reg side?

I see...

What a waste.

As if there is not a large enough divide between reg and res force med tech training....

For all you medics who may be following this thread..  In addition to discussing the good and bad on the reserve side of CFMG,
We are also discussing ways to upgrade the skill set of a reserve Med-A.  How do we bridge some of the gap between EMR/EFR
and the PCP level? What training can take place at the local unit level to make non PCP Med-A's more trade employable?

Opinions Welcome !

Brad,

Here is a link to their flashy web page.
http://phtls.org/executive.htm
As to where the money flow goes, I have no idea. It is very hard to ascertain as I have not even received a text book but have been told that it is a way of the future for the reserves. I would put a smiley here but I can not find one with its tongue in its cheek and frustrated at the same time.

GF

Edit: forgot the link

I see that 51 Fd Amb just had a course on the weekend, and 52 Fd Amb is having one next month.

Anybody know anyone from those units?

old medic said:
I see that 51 Fd Amb just had a course on the weekend, and 52 Fd Amb is having one next month.

Anybody know anyone from those units?

PHTLS or BTLS?

I know that 17 Fd Amb had a course run this past weekend and next weekend 12 Fd Amb is running a BTLS course next weekend. They were both planned before the order came down from Ottawa and could not be turned off with out significant financial penalty due to the use of external instructors.

This also goes back to the earlier question of internal instructor cadre, it seems that many units are dependant on the civilian agencies for instructors.
Now what happens when we go to a course that is not offered or acknowledged in the Provinces?

GF

Out here it will be another Army course the civi sector has never heard of, much less has a use for kind of like SJA AMFR2.  What a recruiting/retention incentive that will be.

So instead of hiring working, experienced paramedic instructors we'll run a course taught be people with limited hands-on for people with very limited hands on.

I can hardly wait.    :-X

DF

If you search through the PHTLS web site, you'll find a listing for international courses.., go down to Canada, and you'll find 51 and 52 Fd Amb listed there.

I'm a bit confused by all this talk about PHTLS. First off, my unit  (15 Fd Amb) ran a PHTLS course just under a year ago. 2 mbrs from 12 Fd Amb flew out to take the course with us. Talking to the French teams at the EFMC in Borden this summer, their units had also made the switch. Why were some units already on PHTLS, did this just start getting enforced? Furthermore, I'm wondering what the difference is between the two courses. I haven't taken BTLS, but everyone I've asked who's taken both say there is very little difference between the two.

As far as having to contract outside instructors, I think it's a pretty good way to get some new ideas and techniques into the unit. This may just be because I'm still fairly inexperienced, but I was really impressed with some of the new tricks they had for us.

I See that CCEMS in Edmonton seems really big on PHTLS.  Most of the Canadian Directors seem to work for them.

Here are a few other links on the course:

http://www3.us.elsevierhealth.com/MERLIN/PHTLS/course_information.html
http://www.dmrti.army.mil/PHTLS/phtls.htm
http://www.health.qld.gov.au/skills/phtls.asp
http://msop.ca/index.php?menid=01/07/01&mtyp=1

http://www.emsvillage.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=39&threadid=941
EMS Village Forums - BTLS or PHTLS??? Better?

Brad Sallows said:
Out of curiosity, who "owns" PHTLS and where does the money flow?

The National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians in the US

PHTLS Textbook - 5th Edition - 0323032710 - Military Version

By National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians

Author(s): NAEMT, Norman McSwain, Jeff Salomone
ISBN: 0323032710
Cover: Softcover
Pages: 464
Illustrations: 250
Edition: 5th
Published: November 2004

New In This Edition

* Includes new photographs geared specifically to the military.
    * Describes differences in procedures in a non-combat situation and those in a combat situation.
    * The Military Medicine chapter, written by the military, provides special trauma considerations and protocols.
    * Military procedures are also found throughout the text, where applicable.

Prehospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS), 5th Edition, Military Version is a unique, continuing education program that directly addresses trauma issues in the prehospital environment. Following the publication cycle of ATLS (Advanced Trauma Life Support) by the Committee on Trauma of the American College of Surgeons, the PHTLS program is designed to enhance and increase knowledge and skill in delivering trauma care. The PHTLS textbook is the required book for the PHTLS course, and is also ideal for use as the trauma component of a paramedic course or as a general reference book on trauma assessment and management. Based on Prehospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS), 5th Edition, this military version combines both basic and advanced trauma concepts and skills in one definitive resource and features an entirely new chapter on evidence-based guidelines for military medicine, developed by the Committee on Tactical Combat Casualty Care.

http://www.999supplies.com/product_info.php/products_id/3292

I had Chapters mail me one of the Military PHTLS textbooks.  I'm curious to see what all the fuss is about.
They list the military text as an orderable item right from Mosby.
I guess that means I'm posting a book review when it shows up.

In the meantime, This thread is kind of quiet, so I'll ask this:

What do you medical types see as the good things that have come out of the restructure?

Back