• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Standards - Weight

hollyymarie

Inactive
Reaction score
I've searched over and over again for this answer or atleast a topic about it on here, and I couldn't find anything.  Im sorry if there is and I missed it but I cant find anything.  My question is, whats the weight limit at medical?  According to my BMI I'm overweight, however I don't really think thats right because I'm extremely healthy, I'm very active and I just lost a bunch of weight.  So I'm kind of nervous about submitting my application, because even thought I can do all the physical requirements and more my BMI says I'm overweight.  I probaly could lose more and I guess I should aim to do so, but can I still apply anyway with my BMI being this high? or will they look at my height/weight at medical and just disqualify me?

I plan on going to my doctor this week to figure this out this BMI thing, because there is no way I can have a BMI of 29.5 and be as active as I am.

Should I weight until my BMI gets lowered, or should I just go ahead and apply since I can meet all the requirements?

Any answers, help or advice would be extremely appreciate! thanks guys,
holly

BMI is only one factor in determining health. If you're that concerned, find out where you can get a hydrostatic weight. This will give you your absolute body fat percentage. Most universities have this ability, but some sports centers can do it as well. In short, if you're healthy and can complete the fitness requirements, then it shouldn't matter.

If you pass your PT test it probably matters not, some people on my platoon lost almost 50 lbs over the course of our three months in St. Jean. That probably does wonders for your BMI, though I personally think that is not a very good indication of health anyways, but then again I am not a doctor...

...I can have a BMI of 29.5 and be as active as I am.
  BMI is really only useful for the average Joe. Since muscle weighs x4 as much as fat, very active or more 'muscular' tend to have an 'overweight' BMI because the average person does necessary have that much extra muscle. The point is point your BMI reading to the grave.

:army:

Besides, the CF doesn't use the BMI anymore.  If you're fit and can pass the PT test, it shouldn't be an issue.
Panzerschütze is correct, muscle weighs more than fat.

I've know people who were extremely fit, fairly muscular (although not of body building physique) whose BMI indicated that they were overweight.

I think I'd be more concerned about someone who was underweight.

Fitness means more than raw data.

Pretty much any fire team partner or leader you ever have would prefer you to be able to do your job and be able to carry them if they got shot than they would about what your waistline was.*

In the training system you will be put through many physical challenges where it will be identified if you are fit or not.

*Note* There is obviously a cap at some point though in terms of body shape because at the end of the day we all theoretically represent the best Canada has to offer, and it doesn't send a positive message if someone waddles around with a giant stomach bursting through the front of their combats.

Petamocto said:
*Note* There is obviously a cap at some point though in terms of body shape because at the end of the day we all theoretically represent the best Canada has to offer, and it doesn't send a positive message if someone waddles around with a giant stomach bursting through the front of their combats.

Oh please.  Like that doesn't already happen and continues to do so.  ::)

Not saying it's right or anything, just an observation.

Ah yes the old "BMI" dragon raises its head again. I remember it well I was a first hand witness to the BMI purges in the late 80s. At the time I was with 1 RCR in London and the remember the line up for weight/height measurements. Being vertically challenged I was immediately placed in the "obese" line up for further testing then the fun began. Never really understood the reasoning of BMI in my case I was listed as obese because apparently being 5'4" and 175 lbs is not healthy, never mind having a 47" chest and 31" waist. I was required to have the "pinch test" to confirm that I was not all that fat. A visual by the doctor was not enough. Meanwhile the next guy in line who happened to be 6' tall and a with a beer gut passed because of his height/weight ratio, go figure.
Sorry end rant this subject is near and dear to myself.
I believe in the late 80s the forces actually released some members because of their BMI which if memory serves most of them sued and got their jobs back later. In the end BMI ended up being used to judge people on appearances and not on ability to perform, thus the reason that it is no longer used.
Also as stated earlier if you can pass the physical tests than there should be no concern for yourself.

PMedMoe said:
Oh please.  Like that doesn't already happen and continues to do so.

Not sure what you're suggesting we disagree with here.

thanks everyone so much! I guess I was worrying alittle too much ha
Ive never calculated my BMI before so I was kind of shocked to see the numbers, but muscle weighing more than fat makes sense.

thanks again :)
holly

Petamocto said:
Not sure what you're suggesting we disagree with here.

You stated that there must be a "cap" at some point for body shape.  I'm disagreeing with that.  It would be nice if there was, but judging from some of the body shapes* I see in uniform, I have my doubts that there is one.

*I know, round is a shape.  ;D

PMed,

Ahhh, sorry now I understand better.

What we are saying with a common voice is that bothers some people that there are very large people walking around in uniform.

Technically there are regulations in place that do allow for the removal of those sorts of people but for whatever reason they manage to sneak through the cracks.

That being said, we're only talking about the extreme end obese people in uniform.  Most would agree that to be slightly overweight and still be able to do your job is quite alright; we're only talking about the ones who obviously could never do anything physical but there they are.

"Technically there are regulations in place that do allow for the removal of those sorts of people but for whatever reason they manage to sneak through the cracks."

There aren't any regulations that allow the CF to turf people because they are overweight, or aren't the poster child for the CF. If the overly round guy or gal can meet the minimum physical fitness requirements, there is nothing anyone can do. Not meeting the physical fitness requirements is a different story, and has nothing to do with body shape or size discrimination.

Agreed.

What I am talking about are the people that everyone knows could not pass the physical tests.

The mentods I am talking about are the BFT, Xpres Test, etc, not a subjective visual inspection.

Walking around Pet or Gagetown and environs every day it is not easy to find people who if asked to do a BFT tomorrow could not pass.

And for the crowd who will defend the Army Fitness Manual as it provides a work-up training process to pass the BFT, the "spirit" of that training plan is that once you are there you will maintain it.  It's to bring you from a level of not being able to do it to passing it whenever you need to, not to work up to it for a few months and then bust your @$$ for 2:26 and then let yourself fall apart for the next nine months as you recover.

Back to the topic of the thread and common ground, everyone seems to be on the same page that if you are fit then you're good to go.

Back off topic for a second.

Petamocto said:
What I am talking about are the people that everyone knows could not pass the physical tests.

You can tell just by looking?  I'm impressed.

I've seen several people who you'd look at and think they'd never pass a fitness test and have seen them pass it, and do better than people who look fit.

Also, I've seen several who can do the BFT but not the ExPres and vice versa, but I believe that's already a topic in another thread.

Petamocto said:
Back to the topic of the thread and common ground, everyone seems to be on the same page that if you are fit then you're good to go.

Done.

For one reason or another, there are a TON of people in the CF that don't "look" like they could cross the street without breaking a sweat... however, like it's been said already, looks can be deceiving.

Don't worry about anyone else but yourself. If you feel you are good to go... then go. i've said it in another thread so I wont go into detail here, but that whole BMI-thing is a joke. I'm terribly over weight for someone who is 6' tall and i'm in the best shape of my life.

Like Tiger says... just do it!  :p

Sounds like me, I'm 6'1 amd 250lbs, and I certainly don't look as overweight as the BMI makes me sound!

Accoding the BMI, I'm obese (32.1)... I also just finished running 17km... only imagine what I could do if I was in shape...

BMI when used in the proper context, with the correct knowledge is a great tool for determining health and future problems.

The problems with BMI in the 90's was somebody got touched by the god idea fairy and thought that a number without the clinical context and decision making ability behind that number could determine your "fitness" to be in the CF.

As those of us who were around at that time can attest, it was a administrative failure.

But, do not discount BMI, if it is discussed at your medicals, by your MO, or PA. We also look at other factors such as waist size, cholesterol levels, and some other things that will point out that you having a BMI  of XX is healthy for you or not.

And just remember, because the majority of us have a higher than the "accepted" BMI, does not make it right or ok.

SFB, do they use the WHR (waist-hip ratio)?  From what I understand it is a better indicator for possible health issues and a more accurate measure of relative weight.

Back