• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Standards - Weight

Seconded on the waist/hip ratio as the best "easy" method of determining if someone might need to lose some fat. From everything I've heard, BMI is not all that useful for individuals, but quite useful for determining the overall health of groups of people, as all those little complications caused by people with extremes on either end of the body fat percentage scale tends to even out. Thus, comparing the BMI of an individual MCpl to that of an Individual Major might be useless, but comparing those of all MCpls to all Majs might give you much more useful information. Or perhaps you could break it into units, to figure out who has the best fitness program, etc.

Oh, and for what it's worth, the "ideal" target Waist / Hip ratio is supposedly around 0.9 for males, and 0.7 for females.

I am 115lbs and 5'3 people have been saying that I would be too small to join the forces.... any comments would be Great

Thanks  :)

No, you are not.  I joined at 5'3" and 105 lbs.

Please use the search function!

Topic: "Whats the height and weight requirement for females in the CF?":
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/89279/post-876434.html#msg876434

Late coming to the thread but 2 comments:

Panzerschütze said:
  BMI is really only useful for the average Joe. Since muscle weighs x4 as much as fat, very active or more 'muscular' tend to have an 'overweight' BMI because the average person does necessary have that much extra muscle. The point is point your BMI reading to the grave.

:army:

Re: the yellowed text, 1 pound of muscle and 1 pound of fat weigh the same.

:blotto:

And..BMI is still used in the CF, atleast for aircrew.  Waist circumference is also done yearly...IIRC, they are both indicators for metabolic syndrome X.

Eye In The Sky said:

Well, yes, but 1 L of muscle weighs more (and has more mass!) than 1 L of fat. There's no reason to be overtly pendantic about it. Sure, perhaps the point would have come across better if they framed the statement in terms of density, but still, the statement isn't inaccurate.

gcclarke said:
the statement isn't inaccurate.

So you are sayin' 1lb of muscle weights more than 1 lb of fat?  ;D

I just always get a kick out of that statement...just like "muscle turns to fat"...ummm no...it doesn't. 

Just sayin'!  8)

No, I'm saying that the statement that "X weighs more than Y" isn't inaccurate until after you define which parameters are being used when making the measurements. Moreover, it's rather inane to assume, in this case, that you are comparing either equal weights of the same substance, or equal masses within a uniform gravitational field, because then nothing could weigh more or less than anything else. Most of the time when someone is going to say something like that, they'll either be talking about comparing equal volumes of a substance (indeirectly comparing density), or an equal number of molocules (indirectly comparing molecular density).

Lead weighs more than Oxygen. Muscle weighs more than fat. These are accurate statements under any reasonable method of evaluating them.

Holy fack.

1 lb of muscle weighs the same as 1 lb of fat.  Could it be more simple?

The part I quoted, and was poking fun at, said muscle weighs more than fat.  No mention was made of volume.

You've taken a little poke for fun I made (hence the  :blotto:) and went all Spock in your last post.

::)

Back on topic ladies  ;D

Your BMI in terms of strength and performance is pointless cause you could have say a 150lbs 5'8'' person with a perfect BMI of 22.
Who is just made up of fat and happens to weight the right amount lol or someone who's 120lbs and 5'8'' who's extremely active and fit with a low BMI. and even someone who is 180 and 5'8'' who is all muscle with a high BMI. The skinnier and the heavier person will surpass the person with the perfect BMI due to the fact there in shape and active.

P.S. I could of worded this better I'm sure but I'm tired lol

And thats what its comes down to, being in shape, active. I myself 5, 8  210lbs BMI  says Iam overweight big time , but to see me you would think different, not muscle bound either, but keeping active and in shape is a must because thats a bit a weight to be running around with, plus rucksack etc. So your right, everyone that has applied should start being active, and getting in shape no matter what. And 1lb of muscle does weigh the same as 1lb of fat, muscle will take less space but the weight of 1lb to 1lb is the same.

I enlisted at 270 lbs, and made it through.  It was tough work, but well worth it.

BMI means absolutely nothing, I'm 6'2" 256 lbs and the BMI chart calls me obese all the time, which isn't the case. I have a very large frame and quite a bit of muscle. I can run 5km in 27:43 and still pump out a 6k run in 33:10. Don't base yourself off BMI, base yourself what you can do physically.

Eye In The Sky said:

:blotto:

And..BMI is still used in the CF, atleast for aircrew.  Waist circumference is also done yearly...IIRC, they are both indicators for metabolic syndrome X.

Ahhh thank you! That muscle weighs more than fat thing drives me batty. You can fit more muscle into less space.

I have my medical and interview coming up in a week. I am overweight - 6'1 250lbs. But I can pass the physical as I have been training hard. My question is, is there a minimum or maximum weight requirement? Even though I am overweight will I still get the chance to go to BMQ or will being overweight disqualify me right away?

Thanks.

There is no weight or BMI requirement. If you're so overweight that it causes medical issues you might not pass the medical, but there are no standards based strictly on weight/BMI.

During my medical because my BMI was high I had to go get blood work, EKG and a note from my family doctor stating that I'm healthy. FYI I'm 6'4" 290 ex-football player

Back