• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medically Unfit & Ineligible

Curtwood

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi there,

My apologies if this type of question has already been answered on this forum.

I have passed my fitness test, CFAT, interview and all that. However, I have been deemed ineligible to join the CAF because I have low blood platelets, and poor eyesight.

I’ve dreamed of joining the military since I was a child. I have the option to appeal my results so I am hoping to write a convincing letter as to why despite my medical conditions I would be a valuable recruit. I applied for the position of Intelligence Officer in the Navy Reserves.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Is it hopeless to try and appeal my results?

I know the CAF is desperate for recruits (so I’ve heard anyways) so is there any way they might make an exception for me?

Any advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Curtwood said:
I know the CAF is desperate for recruits (so I’ve heard anyways) so is there any way they might make an exception for me?

Really? Ive been on the competition list for PLT/ACSO/AEC for a year plus. I sure do not see my email box lighting up with offers.

Curtwood said:

Hey there,

If you are under the impression that CAF is desperate for recruits (as I once did), then probably best to tell you now that you have been misinformed.

I'm currently away from computer so can't pull up the relevant sources, but it has been said that in the last few years the annual number of applicants often number around 50,000 - with only around 4000 or 5000 enrolled each year. CAF are always looking for the best qualified candidates, and recruiters gotta meet them quotas, so yes we will keep on hearing things along the lines of "CAF desperate for recruits" when it is not necessarily the case at all.

Can't say much on low blood platelets, but on problems concerning eyesight have you considered laser surgery? It is expensive (CAF won't pay), might not be suitable for all, and will definitely delay your application even if successful. But if things go well... could be the difference between fulfilling your dreams or not.

On the numbers again, I think I heard from somewhere that reserves get less applicants than regular force. Having said that, intelligence is often considered one of the most appealing - and by extension one of the most competitive - trades to get into. And if the figures provided by this guy is true, then I can't say desperate for recruits is the right term to describe CAF.

G8r said:
Hello All

This is my first and therefore my introductory post.  I am 46 yrs old and applied to IntOps "off the street" in November of 2016.  Last week I was contacted and recruited for training, and report to St Jean for April 28th...

... I know I should have started training sooner, but honestly, when 4 people out of over 1,000 applicants are chosen, I really didn't think I would get in.  Oops!

At the end of the day, just write that letter and go for it. You have absolutely nothing to lose, and everything to gain. Never allow yourself to have that what if feeling if you can help it, and best of luck man.

Although you could appeal your platelet issue, your eyesight will be the factor that would stop you from getting in. You would have to correct the issue before you can be deemed fit.

I'm currently in the early/mid stages of applying to join the army at the moment. For a number of years now I have had a few plantar warts on the bottom of my feet, do you think this will make me medically ineligible? They've never bothered me but I am beginning treatment just in case.

Warts.
That's easy.
There is the new treatment where it is simply frozen with ...some -40 solution
Ok ok I will go get the data (sighroll)
It says doctors use liquid nitrogen but I do not think that is what you buy off the shelf.
Amazing results. One+ application.done

commander-cb said:
Warts.
That's easy.
There is the new treatment where it is simply frozen with ...some -40 solution
Ok ok I will go get the data (sighroll)
It says doctors use liquid nitrogen but I do not think that is what you buy off the shelf.
Amazing results. One+ application.done

If you're going to go and get the data, please insert a link so others can see right where you got it from.

Like we always say that it's best to speak with RC staff to get answers to your questions, if you have a medical issue (such as warts) then your first stop should be your family Doctor. If you're told later to have a clean bill from them before progressing then you'll at least already be started treatment.

Simple search.
"Freeze warts"
Results:
#1  Dr. Scholl's  freeze away

https://www.google.ca/search?q=freeze+warts&oq=freeze+warts&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j0l2.4748j0j7&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Interestingly, the stuff is also used to remove moles.

I can give personal experience that it is effective, and frankly, there is no reason to suffer.. unless you like the pain.
( which I kinda do because ...its like picking at a scab / pimple; there is something enjoyable for me in carving skin open and drawing blood ).

I also like having the wart because it is a reminder to stay away from Vancouver and the absolute xxxx hole it is.

commander-cb said:
Simple search.
"Freeze warts"
Results:
#1  Dr. Scholl's  freeze away

https://www.google.ca/search?q=freeze+warts&oq=freeze+warts&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j0l2.4748j0j7&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Interestingly, the stuff is also used to remove moles.

Thanks. Just a small reminder, the onus isn't on us to do a simple search and find the results, it's on you since you said you were going to find the data. Rather small term here, but this sort of thing becomes a larger issue in other threads.

Appreciate your cooperation.

So what is the "truth"
Truthiness..
LegioXEquestris

"Canada's army looks to recruit reservists in face of dwindling numbers"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/canada-s-army-looks-to-recruit-reservists-in-face-of-dwindling-numbers-1.4313849

There are other colorful quotes of this type.
recruit until you cannot recruit anymore.
- Col. Thomas Mackay , Canadian Army Reserves

Somebody is wrong. My experience with this would suggest the CBC is a little short of being accurate.

Does a post like this help anyone, or does it just stir the pot?

Dimethyl either and propane

commander-cb said:
So what is the "truth"
Truthiness..
LegioXEquestris

"Canada's army looks to recruit reservists in face of dwindling numbers"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/canada-s-army-looks-to-recruit-reservists-in-face-of-dwindling-numbers-1.4313849

There are other colorful quotes of this type.
Somebody is wrong. My experience with this would suggest the CBC is a little short of being accurate.

Does a post like this help anyone, or does it just stir the pot?

Dimethyl either and propane

Sure the CF is looking for recruits, but they are in no way as desperate as the media makes it look. Don't think they'll start accepting everyone that walks into the recruiting office.

Well I don't have access to a family doctor but I've been treating them for the past few weeks with freezing and salycylic acid, so far seems to be pretty effective. I qualified for all my trades on the CFAT and since my file is being transferred to another recruiting center it will likely be some time before the medical and eventual interview. By then hopefully this is no longer an issue.

Hiya.
They are brutal.
It seems to be a newer , more  aggressive virus .
Went from my foot, which I was able to dig out  but it transferred to my finger and had been there almost a year now.
I'm convinced it has mutated into a much more aggressive virus.
I an on my 8 th bottle of wart remover.

I'm going through bottles of wart remover quite fast as well, but I can partially attribute that to the fact that the last 1/3rd to 1/4th of every bottle invariably reacts with the air while applying the solution to the point is useless and cannot be applied to the effected area.

Use duct tape for warts. Make sure no air can get to the area and change it every couple days.
Sounds weird but I went through hell trying to get rid of a planters wart off my daughters foot (competitive synchronized swimmer so always at the pool) and the pharmacist recommended using duct tape. Works amazingly!!

Back